So many questions.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So many questions.... So many questions....

Unread 08-19-2009, 06:49 AM
So many questions....

I didnt realize how much I dont know about my TAH until I found this web site!! I had no clue that the Dr wouldnt go over my C section scars, or that it might be worse then my C sections. I planned to be alone for the 1st few days I'm home until my teenager comes home and now I'm wondering if thats a good idea. My mind is spinning... And advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2009, 11:02 AM
Re: So many questions....

Some dr's do use the same general area as the c-section scar. It just depends on the dr's preference, so you might want to ask. I really think you need to plan to have someone either home with you or stopping by to help you. Everyone handles the surgery differently. I could've managed alone when I got home but if for any reason you need to get to your dr. or the ER, you'd need someone to help you. You also might need help getting to the bathroom or grabbing some food. There are others here who've managed it on their own and can give you some advice but if it's possible to have someone at least to call on, that would be a good alternative. Good luck to you and you'll find that this site is a lifesaver and we're all here to help you thru this journey
Unread 08-19-2009, 11:52 AM

I can't imagine my first few days alone but I guess if I would have had to do it I could have. Lucky for me I had my Mom & hubby. I agree with the above, I would at least have someone on call. There were times I was not sure I could have gotten to the bathroom & back without help. I would have been afraid to take a shower alone too. Although you can get a shower bench to help with that. Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2009, 12:26 PM

Don't go it alone. Not a wise idea. You need someone there with you the first couple of days. You are still under the effects of the anesthesia and taking narcotics. Not a good mix. I would have been lost without my hubby and son. I had trouble just getting in and out of bed because of the muscles that were cut. Also, you will not be allowed to lift anything heavy or drive so anything over a gallon of milk is out of the question. Bending and just moving took great effort the first few days.
Unread 08-19-2009, 01:07 PM

My Dr used the same insision as my C-section and cleaned up alot of scar tissue. The pain was close to the same, but the recovery takes much longer. If you will be alone, make sure you keep a log of which medicines you take and what time you took them. It is very easy to forget when on narcotics. Also write down what you eat and when. I had no appetite after the surgery, and wanted to make sure that I was getting enough and a good variety of healthy foods.

Have a friend or neighbor on call to drive you incase of an emergency. Is it possible to move the surgery date?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register