modesty and OR - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

modesty and OR modesty and OR

Unread 10-25-2012, 03:28 PM
Re: modesty and OR

As a hysterectomy patient, I can tell you that each OR at each hospital does do things a tiny bit different but much the same. In most facilities protecting a patient's modesty is of utmost concern, and you will likely not be subjected to any procedure that is terribly embarrassing while you are still awake. Prior to going to the OR you will be readied by being dressed in gown and covered up while IV is started. in most if not all hospitals most of the actual surgical prep and catheter placement shaving etc. is done after the patient is already asleep....not like in the old days when it was done BEFORE.....so u may wake up with a catheter but will likely not remember a thing about having it placed. Taking it out later is such a simple and easy procedure so that's nothing to worry about. Try to not worry too much as these are professionals who are very experienced and hold themselves to high standards regarding patient comfort and privacy issues. When I went for surgery, they did NOTHING except start my IV and give me the pre-op "sleepy" medicine before I was asleeep....they didn't even put my hair in the cap beforehand......and I do not remember much about the surgery at all past that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM

I was worried about the modesty issues as well going into surgery, but I felt the same way for every GYN appointment leading up to it so I probably wasn't stressing as much as I would have been. I chose to shave myself the night before, might be more of an OCD thing for me than a modesty thing but I figured I'd feel more clean that way. My catheter was done after I was under and the nurse who took it out the next morning so I could go home came into the bathroom with me and shut the door and let me control what was showing and what wasn't. If you are really concerned about it talk to your doctor about his/her exact plans for the OR and make sure that they understand your concerns. Doctors are a lot more understanding than I think we give them credit for sometimes.
Unread 10-25-2012, 05:14 PM

thank you for the replies and it was a big help. thank you lorilwayne.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2012, 08:17 PM

As a note for those who have not had surgery yet, talk to your Dr before you shave yourself. Some ladies have had surgery cancelled due to the pssibility of infection from razor rash and that the skin is more open to infection.

Some drs allow it if they provide an antibacterial soap and in many instances there is no shaving at all since it isn't needed for many procedures.

Unread 10-26-2012, 12:38 PM

I concur with goldensrus

I have had two formal surgeries and two 'surgical procedures' that required me to be in a hospital gown. The first was a c-section. I was so sick (emergency c-section) quite frankly I didn't care what the heck they did as long as my baby and I lived.

With my second surgery dignity was maintained. They gave me to 'sleepy medicine' right before i was rolled to the OR. Once in the OR they changed my bed - then told me I would be falling asleep and they were inserting a catheter. As they were saying they were going to insert the catheter My eyes closed - sounds became fuzzy and I was asleep. I woke up post-op fully dressed and covered with blankets.

Surgical procedures they took me into OR, had me turn on my side and start convo with them about 'fantasy football' of all things, gave me sleepy meds and I fell asleep before they started anything. That's how they wanted it and that's how they did it. They even offered me blankets for the few minutes it took me to 'get sleepy' so that I wouldn't feel awkward on the table. Once again, I woke fully clothed and covered.

My general experience is that you will 'be fine.' My largest concern, believe it or not, is that I can't see without my glasses so I wanted to be able to SEE in post-op! They did a great job getting me my glasses the last two times. Even though I wasn't 'supposed' to be able to wear my glasses during my c-section per hospital policy my dr allowed it.
Unread 10-26-2012, 02:36 PM

Hi please don't worry too much about this. I was still dressed in a gown when they did the spinal block and GA. They shaved me and put catheter in once I was under GA. I know they covered me in places because I was allergic to the dressings and had stripey marks in unexpected places. The Dr on the ward called up one of the operating team who confirmed all my marks were where they had used tapes to hold down sheets/blankets to cover me up and keep me warm.
Unread 10-26-2012, 07:21 PM

My 19 year old son took me to the hospital and came back to the pre-op area with me. My hospital's pre-op looks very much like a cross between a doctor's office and ER. I had my own room. Met the pre-op nurse. Used the bathroom. Put on a gown. Had my vitals checked. I settled onto the bed and had an IV started. I had put on my own socks & they changed me into their fancy no-skid socks, wrapped on something that looked like waterwings on my calves, and covered with a special blanket filled with warm air.

About 30 mins later the anesthesiologist came in to interview me to see if I had any new health conditions. I told her that I was scared out of my mind. Next was the doctor & I told him about my fears. Last was the OR nurse (she tucked my braids into a shiny silver cap) and the anesthesiologist. While I was still in the pre-op room they gave me the "special juice" through my IV. It felt warm through my arm & then my whole being felt warm, too.

The OR nurse instructed my son to give me a kiss. He was sort of freaked out at that point because of all the discussions about his mom's private parts- that was THE worst part The last thing I recall is his kissing me on the cheek.

I woke up with a catheter peeking from out of pretty mesh panties, same hospital gown, waterwing things still on my calves, morphine pump, and the same pair of socks. I have no idea what happened in the OR or do I care to know. I'm paying THEM my good money so I don't have any memory of it. My son was there in post-op & they wheeled me off to another hospital room. I asked him when when my surgery would happen- he said it was all done.

Be gentle with yourself.
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:16 AM

Thank you for your reply. I'm feeling better about going in for surgery and I realize that they don't really care what I look like. The doctors and nurses want it to go quickly as I do.
Unread 10-29-2012, 05:58 AM

I changed into a hospital gown, my own dressing gown and slippers, and special support socks well in advance.

When my time came, I left dressing gown and slippers, and was wheeled to the outer, pre-op room to be given the knock-out drops.

A student anaesthetist put in the canular, but the fully qualified one administered the drug - I think. I was zonked out in seconds, well before going anywhere.

Next thing I knew I was on the ward, snuggled up under blankets, with a catheter, blissfully drifting in and out of sleep.
Unread 10-29-2012, 07:37 AM

Not silly at all. After I put on my gown, I was covered with a BAIR suit (warm air was circulated over my body), the IV was started, and I was barely out of pre-op before I was under and non-aware. I was still talking, though. My husband said I was still carrying on a convo as I was taken into the OR. After I was unconcious, they finished prepping me for surgery. They did not shave my pubic hair. I had clipped it all quite short a week or so before the surgery and it's at least 1-2" from the incistion. Everyone, doctors, nurses were all very aware of not making me feel uncomfortable by exposing me unnecessarily.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register