What is it like when you awake from surgery? (having surgery 9/16) - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What is it like when you awake from surgery? (having surgery 9/16) What is it like when you awake from surgery? (having surgery 9/16)

Unread 08-30-2013, 09:13 PM
Re: What is it like when you awake from surgery?

Both my laps were outpatient, and both were about the same even though they were at different hospitals, with different doctors, even different methods.

Both times I was out shortly after getting to the operating room, vaguely remember them putting the stockings on, or moving my gown and quickly draping me w/ warm blankets.

Waking up for me both time took a few minutes, and it didn't feel instantaneous for me for whatever reason. Both times the catheter and breathing tube were out by the time I woke up. Just the heart monitor was hooked up. The most annoying thing both times was getting my glasses, I have bad astigmatism so I can't even open my eyes in florescent light without getting a headache if I don't have my glasses. Both times with being a little *****y and insistent that they were very important I got them pretty quickly.

Both times my pain was a pretty intense 7 but manageable, my entire abdomen felt very sore, and this wasn't due to remaining gas, both my surgeons are very skilled at removing all the CO2 gas before closing. I also can't take anti-inflammatories so my pain sometimes runs a little different.

Both times it was a little while before I could have my boyfriend back with me. Spent some time being groggy and being ready to be propped up enough for something to drink. Both times I was in and out a bit, maybe for an hour? Hard to tell. My second surgery I was actually hungry but my mouth was so dry the graham cracker just stuck to the top of my mouth. And by the time I can eat I'm sick of the hospital and ready to go so I was begging for my clothes, waddling to the bathroom, etc etc. I even went in Dunkin Donuts on the way home for some hash browns and cold bottle of water. I'm certain I was an entertaining sight but I did it!

This past surgery we got to the hospital at 7am, I was in surgery by 9, and discharged between 1 and 2. The surgery itself lasted about an hour and a half. The first one was more of a mess since my surgery was in the early afternoon and got delayed, so I don't really remember the time table.

These are good things to know, my second surgery was so much easier because I knew what to expect. Reading other surgery stories also made me much more comfortable when I had my first lap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2013, 12:47 AM

Reading these posts brings it all back to me...When I woke up the nurse was leaning over me and told me first thing that I didn't have cancer..and I told him, Well that was a waste wasn't it? what a smart alek I was! he just smiled at me...sweet man that he was...he has probably seen it all...poor guy.

But despite my smart mouth, I had the leg massagers on, I was swaddled in warmed blankets, was laying with pillows under my knees and no pain and no nausea at all. I was so dozy..I had not slept well in days and it felt wonderful that I was comfortable, being taken care of by such a compassionate person..and felt so much relief that the pathology was negative for cancer..despite all the worry. My husband was allowed into the recovery room and he was so sweet...after I went to my room I just tucked into another very comfortable bed that had an air mattress that shifted so nothing was under any pressure...so the treatment I got, and how I felt was so nice...they really took good care of me there.

Lee
Unread 08-31-2013, 10:47 AM

I remember when I woke up I was in a large bright recovery room with a nurse poking me on the shoulder and trying to wake me up. The catheter had already been removed. I tried to go back to sleep and she poked me again. I really wanted to sleep! My DH was on the phone, telling me I did not have ovarian cancer! I smiled and told him thanks for letting me know and went back to sleep. Then another memory of someone calling out what rooms were available and my nurse saying I was a sweetie and asking that I got a certain room. It turned out to be a private room. My next memory is waking up in my hospital room with my DH at my side about five hours later. At no point, did I feel any pain. Discomfort yes, pain no. It was really not anywhere near as bad as I had anticipated.

lrsister
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-31-2013, 11:13 AM

I was groggy. And remember feeling around to see how many holes I had and to see if he ended up opening me up. And I just found the one hole. So everything went as planned.
I remember a nurse messing with the oxygen thingy that was on my nose. She finally took it off. It didn't take long until after I got back to my room that the grogginess went away.
Unread 08-31-2013, 11:37 AM
What is it like when you awake from surgery? (having surgery 9/16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SariahRenae View Post
What it is like when you awake from surgery? Do you feel like you were hit by a mack truck or does the pain meds buffer that feeling?

Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Sariah
When I woke up I felt fine actually, I had a feeling of soreness down there but I didn't consider it pain at all. I was so worried and anxious going in, and then after it was over I realized that it was not that bad at all. I slept most of the day after surgery and my pain and discomfort didn't really start until day 2 and 3, but the pain meds took care of it.
Unread 08-31-2013, 10:56 PM

For my first surgery, I had insisted that my glasses be nearby, or I threatened that I would just keep sleeping. The last thing I remember was being in the OR, the anesthesiologist saying "You may have double vision", seeing the surgical lights double then quadruple, closing my eyes, handing my glasses to him and going right to sleep. When I woke up, I was very annoyed because there was a pressure on my arm, that came and went. I finally woke up enough to lift up my arm and look at it, and realized it was the auto blood pressure cuff. The nurse came and gave me my glasses. I asked her how many holes I had, and she said two. The lady next to me was moaning, but I was feeling only sore, not real pain. The nurse decided my time was up, made me sit up, put my clothes on and wheeled me out of there to my parents (who said I was as white as a sheet). I had really bad internal gas pain that lasted a while.

My second surgery, same warning to the staff to have my glasses ready. When I woke up, I was the only one in the recovery room. I had an IV in my hand, and the nurse kept poking my hand asking "Does that hurt? Does it itch?" Apparently I was having a local reaction to the pain meds and the IV site was swelling but I couldn't feel a thing!. She changed it to something else, no problems after that. I had asked my doc to make sure he sucked out as much of the gas as possible, so no issues with gas pains with that surgery.
Unread 09-04-2013, 06:02 AM

I woke up shivering, which I always do after anesthesia, so the nurse in recovery put several warm blankets on me. Made me fell so comfy. I wasn't in any pain, just very, very sleepy. They gave me a pain med. button to push as needed. For some reason I was fascinated by it and kept pushing it as if it were a game show buzzer. Fortunately it only releases pain meds every 6 minutes. I remember being very thirsty and having dry lips. The pain reached about a 5 after I was off "the pump", so my nurse quickly gave me something in my IV which took care of it. The gas pain in my shoulder caused the most pain and there isn't much that can be done about that except work it out. Good luck, you'll do great.
I forgot, I also had leg compressors on that squeezed my legs periodically. When asked during the night if I wanted them removed, I said "no, they feel like little hugs each time."
Unread 09-04-2013, 07:49 AM

I have no idea! I have I no memories of being in recovery. My memories start with the trip to my room. I have a vague memory that must be from the OR of my Doc saying it was big. That's it. I didn't have general anesthesia, had a spinal with heavy sedation that obviously has an amnesia effect.
Unread 09-04-2013, 09:42 PM

I woke up in a large not private recovery room with people that had all kinds of surgery. I was very sleepy and had a hard time coming around. There wasn't much pain. After being there for an hour or so I was feeling ouchy and cranky because I wanted to see my hubby.
Unread 09-05-2013, 03:35 PM

When I woke up I was irritated by a couple of things, the amount of people that were around me and my husband not being there. I hate being messed with when I first wake up. I wasn't really in pain, just felt a little sore and really groggy. I was probaby cranky still after a couple of hours and I am sure the nurses hated me. I felt swollen in my belly and had this strange feeling in my personal region where the internal stitches were.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register