Is there anyone else like me? I feel so alone! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is there anyone else like me?  I feel so alone! Is there anyone else like me? I feel so alone!

Unread 10-05-2004, 04:57 AM
Is there anyone else like me? I feel so alone!

I feel so alone, I dont know anyone with the same sort of symptoms as me, I feel like a freak!
I am 32, married for 10 years and I am so lucky to have 2 gorgeous children. I have always had bad periods from when I first started but they got really bad after my 2nd child was born in 2001. I put it all down to having a really quick labour and my body adjusting but as time whent on things got worse. Most of the month I have bad pains, when I am bleeding it is 10 times worse, I cant even to to the toilet to pee as the pain is so bad I cant relax. I had 2 pelvic scans, first one revealed cysts on 1 ovary 2nd one they couldn't find my ovary, after 2 years managed to get a laparoscopy done. Apparently I have cysts on my right ovary so it's really bulky, I get a lot of pain on my right side! I also have fibroids, dont know how many or how big, it didn't occur to me to ask!! stupid nieve me! My left fallopian tube is inflamed and caught up with a ligament, hence lots of pain on my left!!!!! I am taking fluoxetine for depression, norethisterone which my consultant perscribed for me when we decided my best option was a hysterectomy. My biggest worry is shall I have my ovaries out? I know I have problems with them but I am worried about HRT and the links with breast cancer as my mother died from breast cancer aged 42. If I leave my ovaries in then breast cancer and ovarian cancer are linked? HELP!!!! I am in such a muddle, I don't see my Gynie until Dec 22nd, I haven't got a date for my Hyst yet! I feel like I am cracking up. Has anyone else had a problem like this? I just want to be "Me" again and not some freak who cant do things like swimming, wear light coloured trousers etc............ My kids must be fed up with me saying, sorry darling mammy's tummy hurts, I can't play football with you!! etc..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2004, 05:22 AM

You poor darlin I know how you feel. You will find that you are NOT a freak and that many of us have had the same symptoms and have asked the same questions as you have. About the ovaries, you should make a list of pros and cons. With a history of cancer in your family your best option would be to talk with your doctor. The doctor should be able to give you all the percentages. Do some research here on the internet about links to ovaries and cancer protection. Seems to me that I read nothing that linked having ovaries removed to having breast cancer. I know that heart disease runs in my family and that there is a strong link to having them removed and developing heart disease. That was my reason for keeping mine. You may also have a chance of developing cysts post op on the ovaries if you keep them. I've rambled on and I'm sure your head is spinning I'm sorry. I'm trying to say, talk to your doctor and do your research. the best patient is an INFORMED one I'm sure you will get plenty of responses here and lots of support.
Unread 10-05-2004, 05:23 AM

Dear sister,

Gee Hon, Dec 22nd does sound like a long way off to have to wait for any resolve to your health issues. You are never alone on this site! There are a lot of sisters with the same feelings and probably a lot with the same symptoms as you too. You are not a freak hon....just a women with female health issues. I had a TAH with both ovaries removed....I am going through the throws of menoapuse, but beleive me, it's not as bad as the all the mess I was going through before surgery. I understand how hard it is to make the decision to have the ovaries removed or not. I had on the had to go cuz of the cyst that was on it, but I had them take out the other one so I would not have to face any problems with the left one in the future. It's such a personal decision to make...I pray that the Lord will lead you into the right decision for you and your health. But please, never feel that your alone, or that your a freak....You are a precious child in God's eyes.

luv & hugs,

Mich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-05-2004, 08:46 AM

Darlin no one can tell you to take them out but you and your doctor. I know you want to keep them and I understand. I have endo it is on my uterus really badly, also on my bladder and my right ovary. But I opted to have everything removed except my ovaries. My left ovarie is okay, not great but okay. Most of my pain is on the right side so I told dr if he sees where he can't get it all off the right one to take it. But under no condition is he to take both of them. I am only 24 and hrt is not something I want to go thru right now. I know that by leaving the right ovary the endo could come back but that is something I will deal with if it occurs but for now the uterus is my main concern because of my periods lasting for weeks at a time and being so heavy that a month ago i soked 3 pads in one night and still woke up in a puddle of blood on my bed thats when I knew it was time. And finally after telling the dr about this so did he. Cysts are serious and if the ovaries stay they could come back. But you have to comfortable with having them removed do not do anything you can't live with. Talk to your dr see what he thinks would be the best route to take and the consequences of posibly keeping your ovaries even if you can only keep one of them. Do what you are comfortable with. Never let anyone "talk you into" doing anything. If you can't say okay yeah I am okay with that. And you do go thru with it you may have regrets. You maynot . But I am a very strong willed person and no one talks me into anything unless I am good and ready to do it anyway. Best of wishes to you on what ever path you choice you are in my thoughts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register