painful hematoma 2 months post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

painful hematoma 2 months post-op painful hematoma 2 months post-op

Unread 12-17-2009, 04:47 PM
painful hematoma 2 months post-op

I have some questions about hematomas. I had a total laporoscopy hysterectomy and now under one of my incisions I have a huge painful lump. The ultrasound showed a huge hematoma.
How long does it take for a hematoma to reabsorb? What causes it? Why do I feel pain in my back? Is there anything I can do to make it go away? Could that be the cause of my vaginal bleeding?
Thank you
age 25, hysterectomy for cervical cancer stage 1B1 3.1 cm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2009, 06:20 PM
Re: painful hematoma 2 months post-op

I too have one, it is begining to get easier, painful to touch still but not as hard. My GP told me that it can take 6 to 12 months to absorb. I have also asked this question from others but have not had a reply. Mine leaked through what was a drain line and infected my wound but that was a few days after surgery. Hope you get more replies. I could do also with a little more reassurance. But it does get better.
Unread 12-18-2009, 06:51 AM

I have seen where others have posted about this, w/ hardly any relplies. I am just curious why the docs aren't more concerned that they will move and maybe cause problems? Like going to your heart kinda problems. I always thought hematomas were pretty serious stuff, maybe I was wrong? I sure hope things get better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-18-2009, 07:58 AM

Hi Ladies,

I had one of the largest hematomas the Dr's had ever seen. It took up my whole abdomen in front of my rectus sheath muscle and all behind it. I also had another smaller one way down in my pelvis. I looked like I was 8 months pregnant, and I'm a small person. Nothing fit! Here's what I learned. I too did not get as many replies as I wanted at the time but if you search in the upper right hand box there are quite a few ladies that have dealt with this. My doctor said unless they are infected or causing a lot of problems, like pain you can't handle the desired course is to leave them alone. You do have to kind of watch for fever that could signal it's getting infected. In the beginning when they are very liquid sometimes they can be drained. I do know of one person who had that done and was so much happier. Mine was too hard. They would then have to open me back up and then there's the risk again of infection. They are very painful and mine caused backaches, stomach pain, tiredness, pain in the bathroom...it was not fun. If you imagine having a bruise or blood blister inside your body, that's what it is. No danger of going to heart or lungs because it's not in a vessel. Having said that, I'm not a doctor...Always get medical advice if something does not seem right. They do absorb usually on their own. It takes a long time though. Mine took three months and the Dr said that was amazing because of how big it was. No wonder I was so tired! Expect that your recovery may be just a little longer, you're body is doing extra work. Sorry this is so long. I did have follow up ct scans to measure the progress and I was very happy the Dr. did that. It's hard to know what your body is doing when you can't see in there. Seeing the progress ont he scan helped greatly with the worrying. I know how scared I was the whole time I carried that thing around. But it did absorb and it's all gone.

TAH 5/19/09 fibroids
coil embolism for interanl bleeding 5/20/09
Unread 12-18-2009, 08:15 AM

Thank you so much for the reassurance, I feel better knowing they'll one day reabsorb. Hopefully sooner than later.
Unread 12-18-2009, 09:36 AM

I assume with all the questions you had, you are waiting for a visit with your doc. to go over them. If not, make an appointment or at least call. You are a customer and have every right knowing what is going on with your body.

Unread 12-18-2009, 04:08 PM

Thank you Caretaker for your reply, you are right on, that is exactly what is happening with me. I was told that a lot of work had to be done on my left hand side and it is a collection of brusing etc. I was on IV antibs and oral for about a month. Was told I was lucky that it drained. DRs were reluctant to go back in as it can cause more problems and better to let it reaborb. I can now say that I am feeling alot better now and actually think it has lessened. I too am small and look now 4 months (did look like 7 months). As I say to myself this will pass, no more long painful periods although I did think what in the hell did I do to myself (or let somebody else do to me). To everyone else it does get better believe me. It does make us feel a bit sicker but in that respect we rest more so maybe it has its own rewards (long term).

Keep up the good spirits have happy Christmas and really look forward to the New Year

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register