I've heard horror stories, are they true - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I've heard horror stories, are they true I've heard horror stories, are they true

Unread 12-13-2004, 09:48 PM
I've heard horror stories, are they true

Hi everyone and Merry xmas to you all! I have not been on the site for a while, but I'm back now. Boy do I have a lot of questions. Oct 5 I had my last Lupron shot, and I appreciate the time it has bought me, but now my time is up. The bleeding has started back with clots and it seems that ther is no ending to this. My surgery has been sceduled for January 20, 2005 and I am even more scared as I was before even though I have no life except a life of continuously bleeding, not to mention anemic. One reason I am so afraid of this surgery is because I have insulin dependent dabetes, high blood presure, and a previous unsuccessful healing c section scar, and I was not even a diabetic then. I dont want to have to go through packing again because of an incision that may not heal. The rest of my fears are from the last gyne I talked to; even though he was only making me aware of the possible complications, he scared me out of my wits. Some of the things he spoke of I have read here today; such as uretha being sewn up or damaged. He told me not to be surprised if I woke up and found that I would have to wear a catheter, but it would last for only a week. To the hyster sisters who may have had this how long did you have to wear a catheter and do anyone have permanent bladder trouble? I would also like to hear from the sister who had the colostomy trouble; what kind of problem should I be aware of from that. One more serious worry I have is adhessions from the previous c sections I've had. My doctor basically told me that that would be the #1 reason for all the complications, he said those who have had previous abdominal surgeries insides are all stuck together by the adhesions and and the organs would have to be cut away from it which could cause the damage to the other organs like the bladder( I still dont quite have the full understanding of if this would be permanent or temporary. Any Hyster sister who has had any of these complications could you please be kind enough to share them with me; my clock is counting down, and I dont know what to do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-13-2004, 10:53 PM

(((Peaches))) I had to go home with a catheter after my TVH/BSO/A&P repairs. I had it in for a week, and then had to retrain my bladder afterwards, but it all worked out fine for me. The catheter is most common in ladies who have A&P (anterior and posterior) repairs with vaginal hysts, because of the amount of trauma and swelling to the tissues surrounding the urethra. What happens is, there is so much pressure it pinches the urethra shut and you can't urinate even if your bladder wants to.

There have been many cases here where bladder damage has occurred due to what your DR described... for example, the uterus was adhered to the bladder, and in the course of separating them, damage to the bladder occurred. Sometimes this results in a fistula, or opening, between the bladder and vagina or urethra and vagina, which occasionally can heal itself but more usually requires one or more corrective repair surgeries. Rarely, repeated attempts at repairing damaged bladders can fail and the result can be either the need for an ostomy, or an 'artificial' bladder. You can read posts from ladies with this and other bladder complications over in our Bladder Matters forum.

Adhesions from prior surgeries or from endometriosis are a major cause of this type of complication. Either the bladder or the colon/rectum might be stuck to the uterus and difficult to separate. Also, if you have tended to form adhesions before, you will very likely form even more with each successive surgery, including this one. Adhesions can result in things like bowel obstructions long after surgery (they can wrap around a loop of bowel for example). You might want to ask your surgeon what precautions he/she intends to take to try to reduce the likelihood of adhesion formation after this surgery. You can read posts from ladies who have had adhesion problems after their hysts over in our Road Less Travelled forum.

I'm so sorry you are having to have this surgery under these conditions. I hope you get satisfactory answers to all your questions first. Good luck!
s,
-Linda
Unread 12-14-2004, 10:02 PM

Thanx Surferbabe; I appreciate this information, and I will read from the forums you have given me; I am glad your trial has turned out good after all; all I can do now is pray that mine do too. HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-14-2004, 10:18 PM

I understand your fear COMPLETELY as I too, have heard the stories. Actually, to be completely honest, I hadn't heard them offline at all, but when I came here, I read WAY more. Everyone I know off the computer has been completely happy. But then I got on here, and having my own fears on the whole thing in general, and READING about them almost made it worse. I too, am dealing with my own. Remember, I am thinking about you, and you are NOT ALONE!

I'm very proud of you for your bravery in the breast cancer battle! I've watched every woman in my family go through it (another fear of mine actually but one I KNOW I can beat if it arises). I'll think of you also when I wear my pin! If you feel at all unsure, go get another opinion. I am sure you will do as you see fit for yourself
Unread 12-17-2004, 03:15 PM

Hi Dolphin!
You and I have a lot in common. I'm a 9 year breast cancer survivor. I had my hyster six weeks ago. I can honestly tell you that I am feeling soooo much better now. No more pain, clots, heaving bleeding, or fear of ovarian cancer.

My surgery had a few glitches--I was scheduled for a LAVH and ended up with a TAH, but I don't consider my hyster to be a horror story. I had complete trust in my doc, my DH supported me each step of the way, and I had educated myself and had an idea of what to expect.

I think having confidence in my doc helped me a lot. He knew what I wanted and showed concern and consideration to me. Even when my LAVH turned into a TAH, he took time to come out of surgery and explain to my family what had happened and how he would fix it.

You can get a lot of strength and information on this board. Use it!

Best wishes--
Unread 12-17-2004, 03:34 PM

Hi,

I'm having a TAH/BSO on the same day. I know that I have no choice (endometrial cancer), but I have no children and that fact is driving me crazy as well as all the unknown. Keep the faith and I'll be thinking of you as I go in on the 3rd

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register