Scheduled TAH 29 and terrified | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

29 and terrified 29 and terrified

Unread 03-30-2011, 08:54 PM
29 and terrified

Hello all, . Just schedule my surgery for June 20th. I have 2 very large fibroid tumors. My mom had them also and had to have the surgery. Genetic I guess. I guess I just don't know what to expect. How soon can I go back to work? Aiming for 2 1/2 weeks, but i was told that I need to add another week and 1/2 to that. Thoughts....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2011, 09:05 PM
Re: 29 and terrified

If you are having abdominal surgery, count on 6 to 8 weeks. I am an elementary school principal and could have gone back at 6 weeks but I would have been exhausted. My doctor gave me a note for 8 weeks and with the Xmas break in there, it turned out to be 9 weeks which was perfect. I went back to work feeling really good and not be over tired at all. (Except for today but that is a different story and I can't blame it on my hyster).

The other thing that really helped in my recovery was being in really good shape before. That will also help you recover faster. I definitely would rethink the idea of 2 and half weeks for a TAH or SAH.
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:21 PM
29 and terrified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danni3ll3 View Post
If you are having abdominal surgery, count on 6 to 8 weeks. I am an elementary school principal and could have gone back at 6 weeks but I would have been exhausted. My doctor gave me a note for 8 weeks and with the Xmas break in there, it turned out to be 9 weeks which was perfect. I went back to work feeling really good and not be over tired at all. (Except for today but that is a different story and I can't blame it on my hyster).

The other thing that really helped in my recovery was being in really good shape before. That will also help you recover faster. I definitely would rethink the idea of 2 and half weeks for a TAH or SAH.

Well I have two mints or so to shed a few extra pounds...guess i'll be hitting the gym. I want the recovery to go as quickly and smoothly as possible. I have so may worries going through my head about what to expect! I don't even know where to begin! Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2011, 10:19 PM

I know it doesn't seem like a plus, but being young definitely helps with the recovery. I was 30 when I had my TAH last year and my Dr was impressed with how well I had recovered by week 8. Yes I still had to take 8 weeks off work. I do stand all day and have some lifting, but still take your time to recover right the first time.
There are highs and lows to recovering, but don't push yourself to go back to work too soon. If you really feel like you can go back try half days because you will get tired way faster than before.
Unread 03-30-2011, 10:22 PM

LaBellaVida!

It's really normal to be scared. There's a lot of good information on this site and many very helpful women. The combination will help you become less terrified as time goes on.

What to expect depends on many things: type of surgery, surgical method, your overall health, how well you're able to get your rest and not overdo, etc.

My surgery was da Vinci Robot-assisted laparoscopy. My organs were dissected and removed via the tiny incisions in my abdomen rather than vaginally. The surgery went very well.

The worst pain was in my arms and one leg. That was a result of the surgical position used with the da Vinci robot. Sore throat from the tube used with general anesthesia. Hysterectomy pain was well-managed with prescription ibuprofen. Wearing an abdominal binder helps a lot!

I was cleared to drive on post-op day 10. I went very short distances and not in traffic. It wouldn’t have been a happy event had I needed to swerve or slam on the brakes, so I didn't drive much. I was much more comfortable driving on post-op day 15.

I started working from home on post-op day 17. So far, it’s fine. Can't imagine sitting that long with TVH or TAH!
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Being young and in shape realy does help with the recovery, but even with those wonderful benifits the most important part of recovery is - "don't push it"!! I am 9 months after abdominal surgery, and I am still not totally back to myself. My recovery was pretty smooth, and still the exhaustion is a major part of my life. Two and a half weeks are not enough to get over such a major surgery. Give yourself time to heal, and your body will thank you...
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:12 PM

I'm 36 and understand the fear! Being young will help. Remember, this is major abdominal surgery regardless of how it's done. If you push yourself too much, you'll have set backs. Expect to be off longer and if you can go back to work sooner, bonus. :-)

I have found this site to be full of fantastic information and very supportive people. Good luck with surgery!
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:59 PM

Hey Sister,
Well you can only pray to be able to return back to work so early, but if it were me, I would take more time off work. I think at least 4-6wks and up to 8wks, of course this all depends on the type surgery you are having too.
I can tell you however, take it easy once you get home. If you look through some of the posts on here you will find that as an on going advice that is given to other sisters.
I will keep you in my prayers for your fear and your surgery too. As time goes by you will be better. Blessings to you
Unread 03-31-2011, 07:46 AM

I had TVH due to fibroids, and I went back to work 1/2 days at 4 1/2 weeks and full time at 6 weeks. I found that I got tired easily though I otherwise felt pretty good. Originally I thought that I would be back to work at 3 weeks, but I have no regrets with taking off more time. I wouldn't have been able to do it. Even at 6 weeks, I got tired still. Be sure you can rest and take it easy after work when you do start back. Good luck to you!! I will be thinking of you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register