Life without ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Life without ovaries Life without ovaries

Unread 04-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Life without ovaries

Just got my vaginal ultra sound results, 2 chocolate cysts 1 on each ovary 14cm and 8cm, plus I have fibroids and endometriosis. I was hoping that I could keep my ovaries but according to my Dr, no chance of that happening now. She also stated my uterus and cervix should go too. I haven't slept in days, I'm feeling so depressed and so scared. How has your life changed since a hysterectomy? I just want to be prepared mentally for the good, the bad and the ugl
y
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2017, 10:30 AM
Life without ovaries

Izzydz!

Your situation is just like mine. After an ultrasound and MRI they found evidence of endometriosis, adenmyosis, fibroids, and endometrioma cysts on both ovaries. My "chocolate cysts " were two 4+cm on my right ovary and one 4+ cm on my left. I too was hoping my surgeon could save my left ovary but once he got in there he found it was attached to my bowel by the endo.

So during my procedure I had my uterus, cervix, fallopian tubes, and both ovaries removed. My procedure was done laproscopic and I never dealt with any serious pain afterwards like some of the other sisters on this site. I was prescibed Percocets and 600mg ibuprofen upon discharge. I alternated between the two and only had some minor discomfort at my incision sites. Some of the benefits for me after the procedure was no breast soreness and no more heavy periods !!

On the down side is I'm waiting to be hit all at once with the symptoms of surgical menopause . Because of the endometriosis my surgeon won't start me on HRT for 2 months to ensure that any traces of endo are dried up. So far I've only dealt with some minor hot flashes, a couple of crying bouts, and one night of insomnia. I think being a tad over weight is helping me as I've read estrogen can be stored in fat cells. Who knew being overweight would come in handy !!

Anyway that's been my experience thus far.

Sahana
Unread 04-26-2017, 11:30 AM
Re: Life without ovaries

How old are you, Izzydz? I was four years past menopause when I had my ovaries removed and didn't notice any changes at all. Obviously the situation would be different if you're pre-menopausal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2017, 12:01 PM

I just turned 43, I know I'm not to far from menopause.
Unread 04-26-2017, 01:31 PM

Hi! Very similar background for me. Ended up being much worse once they went in, but thank goodness all the path reports were negative! I'm 47 and had LAVH on 4/10 with everything removed. My doc did start me in estrodiol 1mg pill post op, and so far so good! I've heard there can be a delay due to stored estrogen as well, but I'm staying optimistic!

Luckily, my recovery has been great! So much better than I had anticipated! I just feel better...I think all those sickly parts being gone has improved my health overall. There are ups and downs, but listen to your body and go with the flow... I can honestly say I have NO regrets at all!!

Best of luck to you, take care!
Hugs...
Unread 04-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Life without ovaries

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandi47 View Post
Hi! Very similar background for me. Ended up being much worse once they went in, but thank goodness all the path reports were negative! I'm 47 and had LAVH on 4/10 with everything removed. My doc did start me in estrodiol 1mg pill post op, and so far so good! I've heard there can be a delay due to stored estrogen as well, but I'm staying optimistic!

Luckily, my recovery has been great! So much better than I had anticipated! I just feel better...I think all those sickly parts being gone has improved my health overall. There are ups and downs, but listen to your body and go with the flow... I can honestly say I have NO regrets at all!!

Best of luck to you, take care!
Hugs...
Talking and researching has made me realize that I'm doing the right thing for my body. I'm tried of fighting with it, I know that what's ahead can't be worse then what I've been dealing with right now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register