Is this a new procedure? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this a new procedure? Is this a new procedure?

Unread 06-15-2001, 07:01 PM
Is this a new procedure?

Hi y'all!
I went into my search engine today and typed Laparoscopic Supracervical. (been trying to research this) The third or fourth line to pop up was about something called a "C*I*S*H* hysterectomy." Has anyone ever heard of this? Supposedly it has a 24 hour castle stay with a 2 week recovery to normal activities. The website address is: www.qis.net/~pvietz/

Has anyone ever heard of this procedure or had it done?

I am also interested in information on the Laparoscopic Supracervical procedure. (trying to figure out which would be the best procedure for me.) Take care everyone!

Hugs
Charlayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-16-2001, 05:00 AM
Is this a new procedure?

Hi,

I have not had the procedures you are asking about. I did, however, remember someone posting that they had this procedure done. I did a search, and found the post. Here is the link
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...ght=morsalizer

I hope this helps, as it refers to and describes both the morcellator, and the LAVH.
Unread 06-16-2001, 01:06 PM
Is this a new procedure?

Search the hystersisters website for l laprascopic supracervical there have been several of us sisters that have had this type of hysterectomy! Also look/search for posts that I (paigeems) have written. Most have been on LSH.

Good luck : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2001, 05:45 AM
Hi Charlayne,

What does your Dr. recommend as to the type of procedure that he/she prefers to do? I would consider that as well. Not every Dr. has equal skill level in every type of surgery so I would discuss his/her preference as to surgery type.

Your particular reason for a hyst can also determine your surgery type. Please ask your Dr. what he/she does most frequently for your situation. That may be your deciding factor.

Wishing you a speedy journey toward good health.

{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 06-18-2001, 08:50 AM
Thanks Sisters!

Thank you so much for the information. I am learning so much here! And yes, it definitely helps! RobinC - Interesting link! Sounds kinda grim but with what my uterus has put me through for the past 4 1/2 years, revenge sounds sweet! LOL
Paigee - You have great information on your posts! Thanks for pointing them out to me!
Kaatie - I am having ultrasounds done for my fibroids on Wednesday. I think they are going to use the ultrasounds as a guide as to which way I will go. As bad as it sounds, I really don't know yet. I plan on asking lots of questions when I see the doc though. Some of the questions I ask will be based on the things that I have learned here! Thanks for responding to my post.
Take care ladies!
Charlayne
Unread 06-18-2001, 09:03 AM
LSH

I am having an LSH on July 10. My dr. has done 2 laps on me for endo. His strength is the lap type surgery. He says I'll be home in 24 - 48 hours (depends on time of day for surgery). I should be 100% 2-3 weeks. I'm in Orlando, Fl. Let me know if you have questions.
Unread 06-18-2001, 09:31 AM
teach...

A hysterectomy is MAJOR surgery no matter how it is performed. All those ligaments that held the uterus in place are now severed and reattached to other things. I would be careful not to rely on the 2-3 week estimate too fully. Healing continues for 6 months to a year internally.

I would post the 2-3 wk question on the post op board and see just how many ladies actually were 100 per cent after that time. My Dr. told me I would be feeling like myself after 3 weeks and it was 3 months before I felt like myself. I had a TAH/BSO and did not expect to return to 'normal' activities, but 3 months of nausea and exhaustion was not what I expected, either.

We all heal at different rates and I certainly hope you feel better at 2-3 weeks, and some ladies do, but please don`t be too hard on yourself if it takes you longer to feel right.

Also, many insurance companies will not cover a person for 30 days after general anesthesia. Driving on pain meds and residual anesthesia in your system may cause slower reactions.

Please keep us posted and let us know how this procedure worked for you.

Wishing you a speedy journey toward good heath!

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}]

kaatie
Unread 06-18-2001, 10:44 AM
I second that...

Supracervical hysterectomy is supposed to be less invasive and the recovery time is supposed to be much shorter, but just let me say that "normal activities" might be possible, but don't expect it to be that way in every case. I would say 2-3 weeks is optimistic even with the less invasive procedure - this of course is just in talking with the ladies who've actually had it done on this board. Some of them feel, well, like they've done something wrong or that they're "wimps" because they can't sprint back to work in 2-3 weeks. Pamper the princess and make progress as your body dictates it. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Unread 06-18-2001, 02:02 PM
Is this a new procedure?

I agree, too. I've seen on many occasions a sister who is consumed with guilt and anxiety because she's not "100%" at 2-3 weeks after a so-called "easier" type of hyst. They can't figure out why they don't feel "recovered", especially since they usually felt better in the first two weeks.

This can be accounted for in a couple of ways: Anesthesia remains in your system for awhile, masking the pain of the recovery, but then as it leaves, you may "feel" things more.

Also, your internal stitches that have reattached your ligaments, etc, have now begun to dissolve, so you may start feeling the fragile tissues "pulling" and even "burning" as they struggle to heal.

Lots of rest is truly in order in the first 6 weeks. I would not plan any long trips, or full-time work in this period of time, from my own experience, and from the experience of the many ladies I've seen on the boards in the past 11 months.

You will only have one chance to heal properly after this MAJOR surgery.

My very best to you...

Linda

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register