Initials and hospital clothing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Initials and hospital clothing Initials and hospital clothing

Unread 01-22-2010, 11:00 AM
Initials and hospital clothing

Hi all!
I am so new to this all - looking at the prefixes, I realize I don't know what these abbreviations mean. I am scheduled for a abdomenal hyst. on February 4. Can someone please explain what the letters mean?
Also, I haven't had a hospital overnight stay in about 35 years! What is best to bring for a 2 night or more stay? Should I bring nightgowns, pjs or are they going to make me wear the tacky, open-in-the-back johnnies anyway?
Any helpful hints will be appreciated! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
Re: Initials and hospital clothing

Hello,
Hope all is well. I was confused by all the abbreivations also but if you scroll up to the purple toolbar and click Quick Links and choose abbreviations it will explain what they are. I had a vaginal total hyst. on 12-21-09. I took loose sweat pants, a comfotable shirt, undies, socks, tennis shoes, a robe, cheese crackers( I don't like saltines) and a good book. I took the robe because I am forever cold and did not want to be a flasher walking around. I also took tennis shoes to walk in becuase I felt I had a better chance of not falling with my accident prone self. I was only in the hospital one day but I did wear the hospital gown until the cath and my IV were removed. I got dressed in my clothes, with the nurses help, as soon as she removed everything. I did not have a belly cut so that may be different for you. I did get some great advice from fellow sisters to take my own pads. The hosptial I was in handed out mini - mattresses. I was way too sore for that much padding. I hope this was some help to you. Good luck with your surgery.
Heather
Unread 01-22-2010, 01:20 PM

Thanks! These all sound like great tips. And I found the initials.
Continued good luck with your recovery! How are you feeling now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM

I am glad to help. I am feeling really good. I am very blessed that I had a good recovery so far. I took it easy for two weeks and then felt well enough to return to work (only office work) and start driving again. Family has been a huge help keeping me on track. I tend push myself to hard most times. I had a check up with my doctor 1-14-10 all was well. I still can not lift any thing heavy or run the vacuum yet but thats ok to. Thank you for asking.

Some other tips I found helpful are buy a "grapper"(bought mine at walmart) - helps reach and pick up things when you can't bend, a backscratcher and stool softners.

Good luck with everything!!!
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:52 PM

Hi (((Warblingalong))) You are having your surgery on my "hysterversary" - I had mine on the same date, 8 years ago!

I did not wear anything of my own in the hospital except for a robe and slippers (with non-skid bottoms) for walking the halls. In the room, I wore two hospital gowns, one open in front and one open in back, for full coverage - that was suggested by one of the nurses. The hospital gowns are a little easier to deal with when you have an IV in, plus then you get to leave the dirty laundry at the hospital when you go home!

Good luck with your surgery.

s,
-Linda
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:56 PM

I also had a TAH (total abdominal hysterectomy) exactly one year ago this week. I didn't know what to expect in the hospital either. I just wore the gown that the hospital provided...didn't care at the time what I had on. I did take a robe so I could walk up and down the hall to help get my strength back up and socks. My mother sent me potato soup because I hated the hospital food. All they sent me was broth, coffee, jello, and juice. And...a great tip...drink plenty of water! The pain meds tend to constipate you. Take plenty to read, too. I was in for one night and a day. The doctor let me go home as soon as I had a bm. I was so glad. I just couldn't rest good at the hospital.
Unread 01-22-2010, 02:58 PM

Honestly, don't bother to bring any clothing. Forget the slippers, robes, gowns...just wear comfortable clothing in, and plan to wear the same clothing out when you leave. They will give you no skid socks, as many johnnies as you need and if you want them, scrub pants. You don't want to ruin your good things in the hospital (blood, urine, etc.) or accidentally forget them. Worse yet - what if they are not comfortable or too snug while you are bloated from the surgery and fluids?

I was in for almost 5 days, and it was a relief to have next to no gear to worry about or lug in and out. Make sure you read the checklist suggestions, because some of those items are worth their weight in gold. Chapstick and my ipod made the whole experience doable.

Good luck and don't over think it!!
Unread 01-22-2010, 03:48 PM

I purchased a lot of things in advance, some of what I have not needed myself, but you never know. Just keep your receipt and maybe you can return what you didn't need. I did buy a package of larger underwear, which I have not opened, so they will go back.

Here is my list. I was only in the hospital overnight though. Truthfully, the first day, I could have cared less and did wear the hospital gown until my IV was unhooked the next morning and then I got a shower and into my own nightgown until I was released.

Chapstick - A Must
Bought Pads - Not needed them yet
Miralax - Have not needed
Gas-X - Have not needed, but took some
with me to hospital in case
Hall's Cough Drops - Did use those in hospital for sore throat

Shampoo - Put in a travel size bottle - Used
Conditioner - Put in a travel size bottle - Used
Deodorant - Used after shower
Toothbrush - Used after shower
Toothpaste - Used after shower
Makeup - Used after shower next morning
after surgery
Nightgown - Put on after shower next morning
Robe - Did not use
Slippers - Did not use (Used their slipper socks)
2 pairs of socks - Used 1 pair after shower
Underwear - Used 1 pair after shower

Book & 2 Magazines - Did not need. Didn't feel like reading
day of surgery.

Prune Juice - I did drink that at home to help get the
bowels going.

Fleet Enama - Night before - Doctors orders
Medicated Douche - Night before - Doctors orders

Hibiclens - Orders from Surgical Center - Had to
wash from shoulders to knees, twice
night before and again twice in the
morning before I left home. Avoid the
private area.

Gripper Tool - I did not buy that, but sure wish that I
had. I could have used it.

I took a carry on size suitcase, told my husband to leave it in the trunk until I needed it. I had a tote bag with me that had my book and magazines in it. My chapstick, my makeup and a comb. I really should have put my shampoo, condition, toothpaste, toothbrush, a clean pair of underwear, socks and a nightgown in the tote bag, just in case and I would not of had to make my husband go to the car and get the suitcase for a couple of things. I wore the sweats home that I wore in. Keep in mind that was just for overnight, but I packed the other things in case I had to stay longer. The Surgical Center that I went to gave me a toothbrush, toothpaste, a bottle of liquid that could be used for bodywash/shampoo, smelled really nice, and a bottle of mouthwash.

Make sure to have easy things to eat at home, such as soup, cereal, fruit ect. I did not have much of an appetite for a couple of days. Drink lots of water.

Hope this helps and is not too much info. Also, I just google the initials when I do not know what they mean and you can usually find out that way.

Unread 01-22-2010, 04:10 PM

Lots of good advice given. I am a nurse,my suggestions do not over pack. It is best to wear the hospital gown while the IV is in makes your life easier. Wear sweats to the hospital and then you can wear them home. Hospitals would prefer you wear their non skid slippers for your safety and theirs. Hospitals usually have poor quality toothbrushes bring your own. They also have pj bottoms and robes. Bring your own pads, less bulky. Most hospitals will give you a list of what to bring from home.
Something I wish I would have had one of those grabbers. Your abdomen will appreciate it.
Unread 01-22-2010, 04:24 PM

I wore my own gown after my IV was out and I took a shower. It was nice walking around hospital with no butt sticking out. I wore a robe and non-slip socks I brought from home. The hospital did not give me any though hospitals usually do. The grabber and heating pad are great at home. Colace and gas-x are a must. Good luck pack light and hopefully you won't be there long.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register