Notorious prankster - Is this ok? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Notorious prankster - Is this ok? Notorious prankster - Is this ok?

Unread 04-15-2004, 12:10 PM
Notorious prankster - Is this ok?

Wow! That's -really- attentive! And good to hear. Kudos to those who are also in the Belt AND Suspenders Club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 01:51 PM

I had surgery once on my leg to remove a tumor. Before going in the doctor gave me a marker and said to draw or write whatever I wanted on the leg that I understood was being worked on whatever a name, smiley face etc. I agree with the others that other than through the direction of a doctor I wouldn't write on myself before surgery.
Unread 04-15-2004, 02:07 PM

Here's the JCAHO site detailing the Universal Protocol for Preventing Wrong Site, Wrong Procedure, Wrong Person Surgery .

http://www.jcaho.org/accredited+orga...l+protocol.htm

This protocol is endorsed by major physician organizations.

There are brochures with checklists for patients.

As one person mentioned, one example of this is that the people who interview will ask you your name, your surgery, etc., over and over again. It seems silly, but it is to make sure you are who they think you are, and that you are having a specific procedure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 03:13 PM

Hi, I agree with the other ladies about not using markers on your body before surgery.

However, stickers are another matter entirely. Here is the link to a hilarious thread where this was discussed extensively, including what to put on the stickers: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...s&pagenumber=1

It also includes a story of what happened to one sister's smiley face sticker and how it ended up in an unlikely place.

Humor does help relieve the stress, doesn't it. Have fun, but be safe.

s,

Lisa
Unread 04-15-2004, 03:42 PM

Oh, WOW! That was a great thread, Shashi! *GIGGLE!* Wonder if I can find a 'Handle with Care' sticker at the post office! Or maybe 'This End Up!'

I didn't see a HysterSister sticker in the store. Shame. I think that'd be neat.
Unread 04-16-2004, 07:12 AM

My experience at the castle with all of this was 4 nurses,2 Anesthesiologist, and the asst. surgeon all asked me what I was having done then the med asst that was taking me to the op room asked me again and gave me a marker and told me to put my MD's name by my belly button since I was having a LAVH. Talk about everyone double checking everyone. I had no worries at all that I was having the correct surgery by the correct doctor that day. I was told before surgery that I had to remove all makeup, jewlery and to have nothing but a freshly washed body. No markings of any kind allowed.
Unread 04-16-2004, 09:13 AM

My cousin went in for knee surgery and they continually asked her "which knee"... she told them which one but proceeded to say that what she really wanted was a boob job.
None of them found it funny. They don't take lightly what many hospitals/DR have had malpractice suits over I guess.
So... don't be offended if they don't find it humorous!
I am a massage therapist... and when people try to make cracks about sex on the massage table... I NEVER find it funny. I find it offensive...! Because it's an issue I could lose my license over.
Good luck to you...!
You will find many times to be "funny" once the whole thing is over!
Unread 04-16-2004, 09:30 AM

Oh, trust me...I'll have my fun. The guys who make their rounds to ask me if I'm passing gas yet? *waves the little FartMaker Cup!*
Unread 04-16-2004, 09:38 AM

Oh, my. I read the thread about the stickers and being "snorfleed"--whoza whatza?? Too funny! And here I was last night trying to get my DH to be more serious about my TVH next week! He is the the biggest riot I've ever known! Shame on me for trying to take the laughter out of this......

I'm adding stickers to my "to buy" list--my Ob-gyn is one cool lady, and I know a good crack to that "super cool visage" she has is just the trick! She and I get along like we've been friends forever, and I've only known her for 3 months!

What a great idea, and thanks so much for giving me my laughter back--I think I was beginning to be a little too serious--God forbid! Hyster Sisters are the best!

I'll let you all know what happens in my castle story--one week to go!
Unread 04-16-2004, 11:09 AM

I feel like an idiot!! When I had a hemorrhoidectomy, my bf wrote "WARNING! Contents may explode!" on my cheeks, the pre op nurses thought it was hysterical and brought more over to see, now I feel like I shouldn't have even though it turned out all right.

Here's a question...where do you put the sticker for a vag. hysterectomy?

I'm considering a brazilian wax job, that way I'm in control, and don't wake up to find myself shaved all yucky, and not feeling up to beautifying myself "down there".

Maybe I could leave a power bar for the doctor on my tummy or pinned to my gown. She is a healthy eater having lost 70 lbs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register