Still on the fence | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Still on the fence Still on the fence

Unread 09-23-2004, 08:25 PM
Still on the fence

I'm still on the fence here. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna cancel my surgery, but then I read some stories here about going in for surgery and the doctor finding a lot more and bigger fibroids than the ultrasound showed. Fibroids are just gonna get bigger and bigger, right? How big do they have to be before they cause real problems?

I'm finally having my period after a horrible experiment with bc pills that made me bleed for a month, and then some progesterone that took a couple weeks to stop it. So far my period is a breeze. Just a little stuffy pressure in there.

Maybe the progesterone cure me? I'm just not sure what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2004, 09:33 PM
On the fence - don't do it

Hi,

Personally I would advise you not to do it. You seem to be uncomfortable with the thought of surgery and I am not sure if your symptoms and diagnosis of fibroids warrants a hyst.

I would definitely recommend you get a second opinion, and I urge you not to go ahead until you are fully comfortable with your decision and know exactly your diagnosis. Also fibroids can get bigger, however, they can also be controlled with hormones in some instances or removed in others, I would suggest you do a search on fibroid treatment on the internet and have a read of the different treatments and options available to you.

Good luck
Unread 09-23-2004, 10:29 PM
Still on the fence

Hi Soini,

I was experiencing pelvic pressure 24/7. I had bladder incontinence and I had to run to the restroom on the hour. I had leg cramps and bloating. My life was run by my fibroids.

I opted for a hyst. However, I got two opinions. My 1st Dr wanted to do a TAH and my 2nd Dr., a LSH wich is a less evasive hyst.

I agree with Aus Chick. You may not be ready for surgery - if at all. My Dr. told me that if I did not have surgery, my fibroids would probably keep growing and I would experience more discomfort. Also, I was a candidate for a less evasive hyst and if my fibroids got larger, I would not have had that opportunity.

A hyst is a very personal decision. Give it as much thought as you need. Do not feel rushed into anything.

Best wishes,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2004, 12:33 AM
Still on the fence

Soini,

I agree with Aus Chick and historylady. If your fibroids aren't causing any problems yet, then a "watchful waiting" policy is best. That is what I did and it took years to get to the point of making the decision to have surgery. I couldn't have done it earlier, I just wasn't ready. I still have to wait till the end of November but I am prepared (I think!) and I know it has to be done.

So my advice is if you are not ready for it and it is medically unnecessary at this point in time, just wait. Yes, they more than likely will grow and you will need to make a decision on what to do sometime in the future but you will know when it's time.

Of course, all of this is just my opinion, so be sure to seek medical advice. Your case may be different from mine.

Good luck!
Unread 09-24-2004, 02:49 AM
Still on the fence

Fibroids do get bigger. The only thing they have going for them is that they are like 99% benign. I have to wait for a little while longer to get mine taken care of. I have gradually developed constant pressure and cramping, pain in legs and lower back, followed by heavy, heavy periods that have lasted for 2 weeks. Get with your dr...... he/she's the one that can truly help you with your decision. Good Luck!
Unread 09-24-2004, 03:42 AM
Still on the fence

Hi there

I agree with all the other ladies. I did the 'watchful waiting' (with my doctor's blessing) for over two years before my symptoms got too bad and I had a hyst. Sometimes fibroids cause no symptoms at all, even though they can be very big. It's all on where they are and what they're pressing onto. My symptoms were bladder and pelvic pressure which drove me nuts at the end. If the fibroids start to affect your quality of life, then you'll know the time is right to do something about them.

All the very best.

Unread 09-24-2004, 07:59 AM
Still on the fence

You all of course are right, but still why wait until I'm miserable? At least I have a job and health insurance right now. I'll give the dr a call and tell him what I'm thinking. I'm sure he'll be fine to have me cancel.

I have pelvic pressure and pressure on my bowel. I suppose it isn't a huge problem to not be able to use my bowel for a couple days each month. It is very unpleasant, but it's not hurting every day.
Unread 09-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Me, too... on the fence:

I was ready for the hysterectomy... bleeding non-stop and cramping and painful clots and pain from the fibroid ( i think).

And then the progesterone only b/c pills ( after 4 months) kicked in suddenly: last month i bled after a 28 day cycle and it was only MAYBE: a mini pad for about 3 days.

ie. I hardly bled at ALL....

So now, i don't have a "bleeding problem" ( my energy is much much better now, of course)...

BUT I still have this wierd dull to sharp pain.. pretty much constant-- where the fibroid is.

If i eat or feel ANY stress, it "flares up" ( like a bad headache feeling).

My fibroid is 6 cm and fills my entire uterus ( I just saw the MRI).
And i have another one in the muscle.. and a bunch of little ones.

Further complicating the stew is: I am 54.. and should be near menopause..

SO.. I would really like to know from more women what EXACTLY their "pain from a fibroid" feels like for them ??

Karin.
Unread 09-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Still on the fence

Hysterectomy truly is a personal decision. I was not having nearly as much trouble as some of the sisters, but I did have a constant dull ache in my back, bladder pressure and the periodic sharp abdominal pain--no prolonged or abnormal bleeding. By the time I was diagnosed with a large fibroid, my uterus was so enlarged that I had to have my hyst done abdominally.

I was not totally miserable everyday, but my back pain was beginning to limit activities. My condition probably was not going to improve without surgery. I didn't want to try hormone injections to shrink the fibroid, and have menopause induced. I opted for surgery, as it was inevitable, and I felt that I would have an improved quality of life.

The recovery is much longer and harder than I thought it would be, but manageable. At almost 5 months post-op, I feel almost normal, though I still have some swelling, and tenderness at the incision. My back pain is much better, no more bladder pressure, and of course, no menstrual or uterine pain.I don't regret having had surgery, but since I was not miserable, it wasn't the greatest thing since sliced bread, either.

To be comfortable with your decision, make sure that you have investigated all your options, getting a 2nd or 3rd opinion, if necessary. Sounds like time is on your side, and that you can make the informed decision that's right for you. Good luck!
Unread 09-24-2004, 07:39 PM
Still on the fence

For me the pain only occurs during my period. The doc said the fibroid inside my uterus would cause the extra pain (and clots). But it's just a dull ache like what I imagine strong cramps for other women probably feel like. I've been a cramp-free gal all these years until the fibroids.

The other pain I get is during my period I have trouble going number 2. I don't know if it is the 10cm fibroid in my uterine wall or the giant tampons for all the extra bleeding. But things feel squeezed in there. And the abdominal cramps are awful, leaving me writhing around saying "why me, why me".

Sometimes when I'm not on my period I feel stuffed in there. But it is not painful. Just feels weird.

Then there is the embarrasment factor. Having to clean up public restroom floors, walls, toilets because blood clots go flying. Or once I got a big giant one on the outside of my jeans. I didn't see it until I got home. How gross and embarrasing.

It's that inevitability factor that bothers me. How long is long enough to put up with this? Do I really want to have a 7 inch fibroid? What is that like, a kid-sized football?

5 months ago I had no problems.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register