Questions my DR answered for me at post op today what do you think? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions my DR answered for me at post op today what do you think? Questions my DR answered for me at post op today what do you think?

Unread 07-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Questions my DR answered for me at post op today what do you think?

I had a lot of questions for my DR. My list in no particular order was:

When can I drive? "In the city only starting today": he said I am really glad about this as I was going srir crazy.

What did pathology find? "Benign" Fibroids uterus the size of a 12 week pregnancy. I am so thankful that it was benign!!!

What about this bit of redness by the stich? "Keep putting the antibotic cream on it,the stitch will disolve, give it time." The itch is driving me crazy, I hope the stitch desolves soon.

What about the bit of pain I am having on my left side? "give it time it will go away."

I wake several times in the night sweating? He said "It is hot out!". No, I have air-conditioning! He said "give it time." Anyone else have this?

When can I have sex? he said "4 weeks post op". This sounds early my hubby was with me and is really looking forward to a normal sex life. I was bleeding since the end of May till I had my surgery. Our love life has suffered because of my needing this surgery for such a long time. I cant wait to be normal again but am afraid to push it too early. The DR first said 6 weeks but then said 4 because I think my hubby was so eager. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-11-2005, 09:49 PM

Hi daisyduck

If you still have ovaries, they sometimes go into "shock" post-op and take a little time to "wake up" and start working again .. so your dr is probably right to say "give it time"...those hot flashes mean the ovaries are still snoozin and not yet doing their job.

Some drs say sex is OK at 4 weeks. Mine said 6 weeks (and sometimes he extends it if the vaginal cuff stitches are not healed.) But the most I could hope for is an additional 2 weeks..
So it looks like Wednesday (my 6 wks) my DH will be smiling.

Shoozie
Unread 07-11-2005, 10:14 PM

If your dr gave the ok, then...if you are up to it, go for it. I waited almost 7 wks. My thought has always been...wait for the dr to give you the green light. This surgery takes a toll on you both mentally as well as physically. Make sure you are ready...and if you do a test drive, be prepared to "stop" if necessary. Good luck to you! This recovery has been a loooong journey. Your recovery is a unique experience. Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2005, 12:16 AM

I had my first post-op today too! Dr. said the same things to me. The night sweats will go away with time, and so will the funny pains in all different areas of my tummy. My insision looks great and I can take off the steri strips anytime I want to now. I can drive if I want to now too - but that still scares me a little, seems I still am having problems getting in and out of the car by myself. The subject of sex wasn't even brought up today seems we had already discussed that before surgery - six weeks was the final answer. No swimming or baths yet, bummer its Hot! He doesn't want me to go back to work 'till the 1st of August (darn - not!) All in all not to bad of a visit, scheduled for the next visit early August. So you sound about the same as me. Good luck to our next weeks of recovery!
Unread 07-12-2005, 04:24 AM

I was ready for sex mentally at 4 weeks, and enjoyed outersex with hubby, but to have intercourse that early, I don't think I could have done it. I got the green light at 6 weeks, and everything was fine, other than feeling tighter, and a little tender in the morning. I would take it slow, if your anything thing like me, I found that every week was like a milestone in my healing, and at 4 weeks I was still getting some pretty major burning painful feelings in tummy. Im now at 7 weeks and feel great. I even mowed the lawn (small yard) yesterday, and just felt like I got a good workout, no pain.
Unread 07-12-2005, 08:01 AM

I just had my 6wk post op last Friday and my Dr. said wait 2 more wks for sex. He said there was a difference in the tissues being healed and toughened. He even advised that it would be very touch and go (though I think it should be touch and woah lol) then.

I know one person who had a TAH and she got the green light for sex at 3 wks post op. I could no believe it.
Unread 07-12-2005, 08:25 AM
opps I forgot swimming

I forgot can I swim? DR " yes but only in pools NOT Lakes" I might take my neighbour up on her offer we are having a heat wave here rigt now Thanks for your replies so far
Unread 07-12-2005, 08:51 AM

I too went for my check up today. I am 4 1/2 weeks post op.

Sex? Dr said I needed to wait 2 more weeks, due to internal stitches and said I would still be really tender right now. Said all looked good, healing normal, no fears of tearing anything. And would definately wait until 6 week mark for SEX.

Swimming? Dr said GO FOR IT in either pool or lake ; Said I could do any type exercise I wanted, just to start slow and gradually increase.

Work? Dr said I could go back when I felt ready. I told him I wanted to wait until 6 weeks, so that is what he wrote up for me to return at 6 weeks post op.

Basically, my only restriction is SEX. Unfortunately, that is the one thing I really wanted to get the GREEN LITE on today, more than anything. So, I guess, for now, DH and I will settle for outercourse and may even try some oral sex; as Dr said it would be OK, but we have not tested yet. Can't wait.

Hang in there and I will too!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register