new to group, trying to decide | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new to group, trying to decide new to group, trying to decide

Unread 08-13-2006, 12:08 PM
new to group, trying to decide

Hi. I'm new to this group. I have fibroids (1-5 depending on who I'm talking to). I've talked to drs. about embolization, hysterectomy, myomectomy, and doing nothing. Now I'm trying to decide which is the best option for me.

My symptoms are bloating, nausea after a bowel movement (does anyone else experience that?), heavy periods and occasional hemorrhagic bleeding between. I've had a uterine biopsy, MRI and ultrasounds. I am 46, athletic and have no plans to have children.

What I've read on this site so far leads me to believe that there are more bad results from the surgery than relief from symptoms. Is this the case, or is it just that those who experience good results have no need to post?

Can those of you who considered embolization tell me why you ultimately chose hysterectomy instead?

Another question, if the loss of the uterus can lead to decreased blood to the vaginal area and a change in sexual function isn't myomectomy a better option?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2006, 12:22 PM

Hi Cucumbers,

Welcome to Hystersisters!!

I had a LSH, a less invasive hyst for two large fibroids. I am still very pleased with my surgery results.

Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the different types of hysts and questions to ask your Dr:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_preop.htm

My Drs went over the UFE (Uterine Fibroid Embolization) procedure with me. Both Drs. felt my fibroids were too large and the procedure woudl be very uncomfortable, my fibroids would only shrink slightly and they might grow back - possbily larger. That is when I decided to have a LSH, since I had a window of opportunity to have a less invasive hyst with my uterus size at the time. I was 46 and past child bearing years also.

Best wishes. You will find a great bunch of ladies here to help you with your questions.

Mary
Unread 08-13-2006, 12:33 PM

I'm always surprised when I read that people are seeing more negative replies than postive. If you can find the thread that took a survery on if the surgery was a blessing or a curse I think you would read more blessing. Maybe the cursed ones just paint a bigger picture because those of us who are so happy we did it have gotten on with our lives!! Anyway... I for one am so happy to not have to worry about the constant bleeding (that could happen anywhere at anytime) and the horrible anemia that went along with it. But for sure look into all possibilities-- surgery is a huge step. If you can find something else that will shrink your fibroids try that first. Whatever decision you make, know that we are here for you and wish you the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-13-2006, 12:52 PM

I was diagnosed with a large (big grapefruit size) fibroid. I suffered from heavy bleeding (4 extra large tampons AND pads per hour) for 36 to 48 hours. Followed by 5 days of 'normal' bleeding.

I am a certified gym rat who also has had the ultrasounds, uterine biopsy and MRI (hehe, my uterus was square in the MRI).

I considered UFE, uterine embolization and myomectomy. However, I am 49 years old and in premenopause. Like you, I did not expect or want children. My doctor advised that uterine embolization is not always successful when fibroids are present. If the fibroid(s) are removed via myomectomy, they can grow back.

At this point in my life, I just wanted this done with. I am now in my 5th week of recovery and it is truly wonderful. I started my last period the day before surgery. It was a doozy. I am truly enjoying not having revolving my life around my period.

For me, hysterectomy was an easy choice. It is not howver, a decision to be made lightly. So be sure to explore all of your options. There is no turning back with a hysterectomy!
Unread 08-13-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Maybe the cursed ones just paint a bigger picture because those of us who are so happy we did it have gotten on with our lives!!
Sorry if I sound sensitive but I find this statement a bit harsh and offensive. Yes, the majority of women who undergo a hysterectomy go on to lead better lives, and you may not hear from them as often on support groups like this one, but there are those who still struggle with complications, hormonal issues, or unresolved pain post hysterectomy (visit the Hormone Jungle, Road Less Traveled, Sexual Dysfunction, Aching Hearts, etc.). That is part of the risk of having a hysterectomy, rare or not. It isn't a person's fault when they are still stuggling after a hysterectomy or having complications or problems from the procedure itself. To paint all women who are unhappy with their results as bitter or "cursed" is not being very supportive or understanding to all situations and experiences.

cucumbers,
While I don't have experience with fibroids myself or other treatment options for it, I can tell you that in my own personal experience removal of my uterus did not have an effect on my sexual function. Removal of my ovaries however has caused some vaginal dryness and bladder issues that I am working on resolving with vaginal estrogen. I hope that you are able to seek out several opinions from different doctors regarding the best procedure for you and make a choice that you are comfortable with. Good luck with whatever you choose and welcome to Hystersisters!
Unread 08-13-2006, 03:17 PM

My doctor presented me with a couple options including a hyst. He could not advise me on "what he would recommend" but said the only option he felt was permanent was a hysterectomy. I've opted for a TAH because I don't want to always wonder when it's coming back, how bad will it be, where will I be, etc. It's really only a choice you can make.
Unread 08-13-2006, 05:58 PM

Naturebound--Tone of voice is very hard to read through a computer so please don't take my remark as being mean -- I certainly didn't mean it that way. I can't hear your tone either so I won't let it make me feel bad either.
Unread 08-13-2006, 10:15 PM

Hi Cucumers

Our Resource Section has an area with links for treatment options for fibroids you might find helpful.
I tried a hysteroscopic myomectomy with my endometrial ablation, but some of the "fibroids" they were trying to resect actually turned out to be nodules of adenomyosis, so they couldn't correct the problem that way. Even though my attempts to avoid the hyst didn't work out, I don't regret them at all. The alternatives do work for many women and I figured I might be one of them. (My older sister had excellent results with her endometrial ablation, and my younger sister has had excellent results with her Mirena IUD.) Some ladies are much better candidates for alternative treatments than others. Maybe 2nd or 3rd opinions would help you decide if you are a good candidate for a myomectomy.

I never had the nausea after B.M.'s, but I had awful episodes of hemorrhagic bleeding, so my goes out to you there. (I had two very public, very humiliating flooding accidents that were the last straws that finally got me to ask for help.)

I think many/most women feel much better after their hyst and do move on with their renewed health and may not need the support from the boards after recovery, as (((geoD))) mentioned ~~ But we never know ahead of time if we will be one of those lucky ladies who sail through surgery and recovery and come away feeling terrific, or one as (((Naturebound))) mentioned, who might struggle with complications and continued pain issues even after this huge attempt for a solution.
I think I’m probably somewhere in between. Disappointed by some of the issues that have come along (granulation issues, adhesions, rectocele and recurrent endo, etc.) but still much improved over how I started out.

Whatever your decision, treatment, or recovery, we are here to support each other and we will be here for you.

Gentle s,
Beth
Unread 08-28-2006, 11:07 AM

Thanks so much to all who responded. The information is very helpful and I appreciate the support.

Cindy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register