a concerning call - not sure what to think | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a concerning call - not sure what to think a concerning call - not sure what to think

Unread 07-17-2008, 08:51 PM
a concerning call - not sure what to think

I am brand new here, just found out that I will be having the big H...long med history, only option left. I met with my doc & we talked a bit, its to be done laproscopically, leave the cervix, tubes & ovaries , be back to work in 2-4 weeks thing. I leave the consult and go to my ultra sound...first thing I see is something that looks like a divider in my uterus. The tech asks if I've ever been told i have a bi-cornate uterus? Nope, and I've had plenty of people who would have had the opportunity with D&Cs, endo biopsies, dye-tests on my tubes, a full open view in 2005, and my novasure last year.

the tech then also mentions that my endometrium is really thick. Its so thick i can just barely make out a space between the sides, despite my bleeding off and on for the last several months. In the end, I shrug and think that's why I'm going forward on the hysterectomy.

Today, the office gal calls and says that Doc needs to see me as soon as i can fit it in & the doc will work around me. As we try to line up my schedule, i casually ask what's up. Gal says doc wants to talk to me a bit more and that we need to redo the consents to include removing my tubes and ovaries. I mention that we had discussed my ovaries, but it was my understanding we were going to leave them, and that i thought ovaries only went if there was some identifiable risk. Gal mentions my doc read my ultrasound and is now wanting to do the ovaries too, but that I really need to come in and talk to her, and then mentions that DH is welcome to come with me for the conversation....

Sooooo, now I'm wondering what in the world is going on. It probably sounds stupid, but my biggest fear is that I have cancer. My calendar won't let me get in until Tues afternoon, and I'm trying to tell myself that its nothing to get worked up about, but still....

Sorry if I'm just being ridiculous. I did some looking on the net, and frankly would fit symptomwise....bleeding/discharge, pain on intercourse, abdominal pain on a fairly regular basis.....no pain peeing, but I've noticed a real decrease in how often I'm having to go.

Anyone else had to sit and wonder for 4 days? Am I being silly? ...and to think I was already having the "should I go the hospital alone and just call DH to pick up after, concern, now this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-17-2008, 09:07 PM

(((((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))) and welcome to HysterSisters, you will find no better place for help, answers, shoulders and genuine caring.

Back in 1996 I had a gall bladder attack so BAD it felt like I was in the middle of a heart attack, went to the ER, they did X-Rays and gave me pain meds, would NOT tell me what was on the X-Rays but said go to your M.D. TOMORROW!!!! Like I got any sleep THAT night???? Went to M.D. Gallstones, go get a ultrasound, I did, nice little cluster of gallstones, went to M.D, called the local Military hospital at the time, went in talked to the Dr. they have to come out, laproscopy can be done, okay, cool, go get your pre-op on Wednesday, get your preops, Surgery is Friday, cool ~ preops done looking forward to surgery, Thursday afternoon get a call, "DON'T show up for surgery, come in Monday for more tests! Me: What's wrong? Dr: X-Rays show a spot on your left lung. And he hangs up. Thursday night, all day Friday, all day Saturday, all day Sunday my SO is going NUTS, me? if it's cancer so be it, I knew the risks, I smoke, I'll deal with it. Monday comes, it's calcified tissue, 90% of the population has it and it never shows up, not a thing to worry about. So that's my story on the BOMB of a phone call.

You are in my thoughts and prayers and your case is different than mine but please have faith and hope and know no matter which way it goes you have the best support team right here and know that "if" it turns out to be cancer, that it has been caught and can be dealt with ((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))))) Please let us know how it goes?
Unread 07-17-2008, 11:34 PM

s JDWoman
Am sorry to hear that you are having to wonder what is going on. It is hard to say what they are looking at. The only way to really know is to see your doctor and talk with him. It is hard going a few days wondering what is going on. While it is hard not to let your mind wander to what it could be, try not to.

While an ultrasound can show there might be something to be concerned about, it is hard to diagnose cancer that way. I am guessing that he is seeing something that is not what he suspected and wants to have the consent form signed for that possibility.

IF, and that is a big IF, he thinks that something might be cancer, please consult with a gyn/onc. You would want the doctor who specializes in that to be your surgeon.

Now, it could be a benign thing, but could be problematic in other ways and that is what he is thinking it is.

So, try to get through the weekend and let us know what you find out on Tuesday, though you might want to try and get in before then for peace of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2008, 12:03 AM

I definitely understand your nervousness, I think the waiting is just the worst, and now you have more on your plate than you thought. Let me give you maybe a different prospective on this, though, I don't know what stage you are in your life, but if you are finished having children, why not get everything taken out? That way it'll be a 1-time deal and you'll never have to let it cross your mind again. If you don't want children, you don't need them, so why let them rule your life. I had my menopause 17 years ago and I've been trying to talk a Dr. into a hyst. ever since. Nobody will because I'm healthy. Well just so happened, a month ago I noticed a little bleeding. Went in for a pelvic, vaginal ultrasound, had a D&C and everything showed up no abnormalities and no malignancies. I shared with my Dr. how badly I wanted "everything out" so he agreed with me and wriote diagnosis for "Abnormal Bleeding". The truth is, my husband and I were just too rowdy having sex, but I jumped on the opportunity to go after that total hyst. and finally be free to never worry about my parts again. Also, the pain and recovery are hardly worth mentioning, I pretty well felt like I normally do. However the last week or 2 I've been kind of grouchy, sad and moody; but so what (I am 17 years with my menopause behind me so I've already done all that).bonnieb60
Unread 07-18-2008, 06:59 AM

Oh sweetie, I know you are worried, but try to stay positive and dont think about the worse the only thing I would do is try to see him today at all possible and just get it out of the way, so you could relax.
let us know what you decide and have faith that is nothing and your surgery will be a success
Unread 07-18-2008, 07:50 AM

(((JDwoman)))) Jmberg gave some great advice! Waiting is the most difficult part. You are in my thoughts an prayers. Please check back with us and let us know how you are doing! (((hugs))))
Unread 07-18-2008, 08:07 AM

WOW, what a day you are having!!! you are in my prayers. Get in there as ASAP, once you know for sure what is going on you will get some peace..I found thru this site the more you know the more you can handle.... At least for me.. Lots of Hugs////
Unread 07-18-2008, 08:25 AM

JDWoman,
Big Hugs for you! Everything will be ok. I once had a little scare when they found a "mass" on my cervix. Of course it is normal to think the worse, Cancer. But like my doctor told me to make me feel better: The 2 best places that a woman can have cancer is female organs or breasts. Because at the end it can be taken out and everything is fine. I suggest that you do take your hubby. So he can understand and also have him as support. I hope everything goes well and good luck.
Unread 07-18-2008, 08:58 AM

Thank you so much for all the amazingly quick responses! It was tough to sleep last night....I will certainly let everyone know once I see her on Tuesday. Its nice to know that I'm not completely bats for thinking the worst :smile

Just think, when i get this handled, then I can start processing all the rest that goes along with a hysterectomy!
Unread 07-18-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonniebolander
I definitely understand your nervousness, I think the waiting is just the worst, and now you have more on your plate than you thought. Let me give you maybe a different prospective on this, though, I don't know what stage you are in your life, but if you are finished having children, why not get everything taken out? That way it'll be a 1-time deal and you'll never have to let it cross your mind again. If you don't want children, you don't need them, so why let them rule your life. I had my menopause 17 years ago and I've been trying to talk a Dr. into a hyst. ever since. Nobody will because I'm healthy. Well just so happened, a month ago I noticed a little bleeding. Went in for a pelvic, vaginal ultrasound, had a D&C and everything showed up no abnormalities and no malignancies. I shared with my Dr. how badly I wanted "everything out" so he agreed with me and wriote diagnosis for "Abnormal Bleeding". The truth is, my husband and I were just too rowdy having sex, but I jumped on the opportunity to go after that total hyst. and finally be free to never worry about my parts again. Also, the pain and recovery are hardly worth mentioning, I pretty well felt like I normally do. However the last week or 2 I've been kind of grouchy, sad and moody; but so what (I am 17 years with my menopause behind me so I've already done all that).bonnieb60

Was the immediate menopause terrible? How did you mitigate the problems?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register