Questions for those who had TAH/BSO | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions for those who had TAH/BSO Questions for those who had TAH/BSO

Unread 12-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Questions for those who had TAH/BSO

I had a TAH with both ovaries removed and I was wondering if anyone was experiencing having headaches. Also has anyone tried HRT products and what were the results. My Doctor has given me some samples estrogen cream and pills but I have not tried them yet. I am experiencing hot flashes nightly around 3-4am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2008, 04:50 PM

I moved your question from our "Date Clubs" forum because that is a chit-chat only board and the Post-Op Forum is the place to ask questions about your hysterectomy recovery.

Over five years ago, I had the same surgery as you did. If you are experiencing headaches and hot flashes, why not give the HRT regimen your doctor prescribed a try? You won't know if it will help you unless you test it out.

There are dozens of different HRT products on the market, so if the initial regimen doesn't work for you, do keep in mind that there are others available.

You deserve to be the best "you" that you can be. In partnership with your medical provider, I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Unread 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM

I have had luck using progesterone cream to calm headaches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2008, 09:02 AM

I had my TAH on 8th October. Stayed in hospital for 5 days and everyday my surgeon visited me and asked me if I have headaches, hotflashes,etc. I had some migrane like headaches and a very light version of hot flashes. He prescribed HRT pills on the day he released me from hospital. We began with a very low dosage. 6 weeks later he carried out a blood test to check my hormonal levels and increased my dosage.
I feel great. No headaches, hotflashes, etc. Lots of energy....
My suggestion: try HRT. Life is short and we should enjoy every moment of it rather than battle undesirable side affects of menopause.
Unread 12-09-2008, 09:09 AM

I had LAVH BSO - da Vinci on 11/24 & the surgical menopause showed up on 11/29, it included headaches (presumably because my body was cold turkey off hormones). They have subsided since but they were there for 3 days. I've since seen headaches and things like dry eyes and cotton mouth listed as menopause side effects.
Unread 12-09-2008, 09:51 AM

Hi,
Am not sure for the reason for your TAH/BSO, but if you had endometriosis, I've read it's best to avoid high doses of Estrogen in HRT as it might reactivate any endometrial deposits that may not have been removed. Maybe something to discuss with your Doc.
I've been lucky...Flushes, a bit emotional now and then, but not too much else....yet!

Take Care

Fred1
Unread 12-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Hrt

My doctor has given me samples of Divigel, and Premarin which I have not taken yet. I have gone on websites reading up on the possible side effects. So far the hot flashes are not that bad yet they usually last for about 30 minutes. It is just this dull headache that seems to of been lasting for several days now. I have been taking Ibprofen 600 mgs once a day but they dont seem to help much. My abdomin is healing nicely so far, every now and then I experience a twinge of pain.
Unread 12-09-2008, 12:29 PM

Kim your headaches sound very similar to mine...they did end up going away after about 3 days but I was in the "call the doctor" mode if they didn't stop. OTC pain meds didn't seem to help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register