Bleeding and discomfort after intercourse | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bleeding and discomfort after intercourse Bleeding and discomfort after intercourse

Unread 04-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Bleeding and discomfort after intercourse

I had LAVH on Feb 4th; bladder repair surgery Feb 9th as doc unknowingly cut my bladder during hysterectomy.
I was back in to see her at 6 1/2 weeks and she cleared me for intercourse after I had completed antibiotics for UTI.
Had intercourse for the first time this week and had bleeding during intercourse and spotting for a few days after. I was out of town so called my Gyn the day after and the nurse said that as long as there was no cramping I am ok. I just got back from vacation and still feel like someone punched me in the lower abdomen(like what I felt like after hysterectomy.)I was feeling great before intercourse and now feel like I have put myself back to recovery process. I asked the nurse if I should abstain from sex and she said no. I do not even want to go there right now due to this discomfort. My question is....has anyone else experienced this type of discomfort? And how does the Gyn know if sexual intercourse is ok if they did not do an internal exam at all post op?? Should they not do one at least after a hysterectomy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2011, 09:08 PM
Re: Bleeding and discomfort after intercourse

Your GYN did not do an internal at all? Hmmm, don't know exactly how to respond to that.

As far as being sore and bleeding, I had pinkish discharge, but no real bleeding. I was quite sore after the first time or 2 though...needed several days in between...
Unread 04-02-2011, 09:27 PM

No, she did not do an internal at all!! I was surprised as well after reading different posts as it seems all hyst patients have an internal done at some point to see if the stitches are healing properly before given the ok for intercourse. I am hoping that all is well inside but it feels like it is not. Good to know that you were sore as well but how sore after first couple of times? It hurts to cough, walk, laugh in the lower abdomen, just does not seem right to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2011, 09:52 PM

i would make an appointment, i'm only 3 days post-op, but my doctor scheduled me an appt. 4 weeks to see him before i even left the hospital. he wants to make sure everything is healing right, good luck and keep us posted.
Unread 04-02-2011, 10:03 PM

I am going to book an appointment Monday, thanks for the advise....will keep all posted.
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:15 PM

That is so weird that your Dr didn't check you internal I guess ALL Drs have a different protocol. I had a 2wk appt Friday and my Dr checked me internal. Good that you will schedule an appt for next week and please ask her to give you total exam bc you have concerns...Good Luck...
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:52 PM

She should have done an internal exam-that is just ridiculous that she didn't! Now you need to demand one asap-you deserve to know what is going on! If she says everything is ok-I would still not be in a hurry to have sex again until you are truly feeling better. I've already had 2 exams post-op and I am only 15 days post-op. Mine were because of bleeding issues, but my doctor had planned to check me internally anyway at 2 weeks. He will also check me again in 4 weeks so I do NOT understand WHY some doctors don't check internally at 2 and 6 weeks. I am thankful that mine does-that is for sure! I hope you feel better-your pain sounds like something must be wrong-wishing the BEST for you though! Hang in there! robyn
Unread 04-03-2011, 01:23 AM

i too would not have sex again with that kind of pain going on, i will be looking for an update after your appointment
Unread 04-03-2011, 05:33 PM

keep us posted on how you are...I was sore, but not that sore....I mean I was really achy and had to increase my advil again after the first couple of times....Now I am only really sore if we have an extra long session... ;-)
Unread 04-03-2011, 08:42 PM

I'm new to this site. I had my LAVH six weeks ago. I had a vaginal exam during my post op and my doctor added another 5 weeks before intercourse due to pain and remaining stitches. Im not sure what to think about your post op but it doesn't sound right. Maybe try asking her to do an internal exam because although you trust her, it would make YOU feel better about your healing progress. Im sorry that you're going through this, sounds tuff .
  Quote:
Originally Posted by sveen View Post
I had LAVH on Feb 4th; bladder repair surgery Feb 9th as doc unknowingly cut my bladder during hysterectomy.
I was back in to see her at 6 1/2 weeks and she cleared me for intercourse after I had completed antibiotics for UTI.
Had intercourse for the first time this week and had bleeding during intercourse and spotting for a few days after. I was out of town so called my Gyn the day after and the nurse said that as long as there was no cramping I am ok. I just got back from vacation and still feel like someone punched me in the lower abdomen(like what I felt like after hysterectomy.)I was feeling great before intercourse and now feel like I have put myself back to recovery process. I asked the nurse if I should abstain from sex and she said no. I do not even want to go there right now due to this discomfort. My question is....has anyone else experienced this type of discomfort? And how does the Gyn know if sexual intercourse is ok if they did not do an internal exam at all post op?? Should they not do one at least after a hysterectomy?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register