Surgery Monday-I Dont Think It's Hit Me Yet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Monday-I Dont Think It's Hit Me Yet Surgery Monday-I Dont Think It's Hit Me Yet

Unread 05-09-2013, 06:59 AM
Surgery Monday-I Dont Think It's Hit Me Yet

Like most first time poster but lurking for nearly a month now. I feel like I've read every single page of this sight and feel well prepared with things I'll need going into surgery Monday (TAH). I was diagnosed in early April with stage 1b1 cervical cancer. I'm more worried I think about recovery because I know everyone is different and all I know is I don't know what will happen until I get there. But after exploring every inch of the sight I feel well prepared and have a very good action plan in place.

I dont feel scared or worried and everyone keeps asking "has it hit you yet" and I dont think so but I'm not sure.

Teaching my fitness classes I keep thinking how much I'll miss that certain memeber while I'm gone or this past weekend I was running with my boyfriend and I thought about how this is our last LOOOONG run (or any run) in a while. I wonder if I'll still be able to run my marathon in October.

Am I supposed to feel a certain way?

And lastly if one more person says to me "I had a c-section you'll be back at it in no time" I may flip out on them lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2013, 07:30 AM
Re: Surgery Monday-I Dont Think It's Hit Me Yet

My hyst was 4/30, also TAH. I took off the day before to get my last run in too. I also read everything on this site and felt well prepared. I also was glad to have the app as I referred to it frequently while in the hospital.

It "hit me" the morning of....I was nervous, they wheeled me to the OR while I was crying, thankfully I think they put me out as soon as I got into the room because I don't even remember moving to the table.

You will do great! Seriously take to heart everything you read here....The gas pains were the worst for me! I feel pretty good 9 days later, but definitely not like I want to go for a run! :-) I will wait for that as I don't want to undo anything that they did! In the meantime I will slowly add walks in....and that will have to do.

Good luck to you!
Michelle
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:40 AM

Hi There!

I have endometrial cancer and my abdonminal hyster surgery is on Monday as well.

I have so much running through my head it's hard to keep up with all my thoughts, I'm wonding if I am prepared enough..?

I think it has "hit me" because I am terrifed of everything that is to come. Afraid of the pain, the incision, recovery time..

Unlike you I am not in great shape, this also concerns me, I'm wondering if my recovery will be longer because of it (my weight)

I'll be admitted at the Hospital Sunday evening...I'm sure I will be in panic mode!

I wish you luck and a speedy recovery...and please know you are not alone on the 13th! I'll be there too...

Oh ya...I have heard the whole c section speech a million times!! I know they are trying to help and don't know what to say, so I try to take it with a grain of salt!

This is no c-section!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Michelle- Oh I didn't know there was an app! So downloading that as I type, thanks! Sounds like we have a similar plan, I am planning on walking as soon as I feel up to it, starting small a few times a week and then building up from there and just listening to my body. I think I'll be the same it "hit me" when I'm at the hospital Monday. Wishing you the best in your continued recovery!

Stephy- Yeah surgery buddy! I feel like we need to be strong in our head more so in our bodies, after all they are going to go through a pretty big trauma. Let's think positive thoughts together that not only can we get through recovery but we are also going to beat cancer! Prayers for a successful surgery and recovery!

~Anna
Unread 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM

Welcome Sisters who are scheduled for surgery next week.
We all are anxious and have so many questions prior to our surgery. No matter how hard you try, questions keep creeping in. I had a huge unidentified pelvic mass that 3 doctors presumed was cancer so I read the wonderful articles on this site called Cancer Concerns. It gave me courage to read what other sisters experienced. If you haven't checked it out yet, you might find it comforting as I did.

Prior to my surgery, I stayed relatively sane by keeping busy getting my recovery room ready, and by spending time with upbeat friends and family.

I wish you sisters a successful surgery. We are here for you both before and after your surgery to share experiences.

Hugs and prayers.
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:00 PM

Best of luck to all of you. I had a daVinci procedure. I cried in the pre-op because I'm always afraid I won't make it. My husband thought it was because I was losing my "lady parts." He, trying to be understanding said,"I guess all women feel this way about a hysterectomy." I told him I could care less about losing that stuff, I just want to come out.

All that drama over, surgery went well and I have been walking most days since I got home. Not have TAH, so my recovery was different. But, listen to your body and don't overdo it. Six weeks out, I still can't do all I want, but I don't want to mess up the recovery. I ran 5K 3 times a week before. I'll be happy to walk as long as the doctor says. My arms could do with some strength training, but that is still not on the list. Just minimal 5 pound weights.
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgrl739 View Post

And lastly if one more person says to me "I had a c-section you'll be back at it in no time" I may flip out on them lol
LOL! I know just what you mean. I have a SIL who had a hyster 34 years ago and said I would be back to normal in a week! Really? She kept telling me it was a "walk in the park", "a piece of cake", nothing to worry about. I know it is her way to sort of calm my fears, but it made me feel upset. Hang in there and Good Luck! See you on the other side.
Unread 05-09-2013, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy_Pef View Post
Hi There!

I have endometrial cancer and my abdonminal hyster surgery is on Monday as well.

I have so much running through my head it's hard to keep up with all my thoughts, I'm wonding if I am prepared enough..?

I think it has "hit me" because I am terrifed of everything that is to come. Afraid of the pain, the incision, recovery time..

Unlike you I am not in great shape, this also concerns me, I'm wondering if my recovery will be longer because of it (my weight)

I'll be admitted at the Hospital Sunday evening...I'm sure I will be in panic mode!

I wish you luck and a speedy recovery...and please know you are not alone on the 13th! I'll be there too...

Oh ya...I have heard the whole c section speech a million times!! I know they are trying to help and don't know what to say, so I try to take it with a grain of salt!

This is no c-section!!

I wish you luck and healing. I had the same surgery as you and for the same reason. I too am a bit over weight and am healing just fine. I am sure you will too! The pain is managable, recovery can be a bit slow, but heck, if it gets the cancer out of us, it is so worth it! Take care, you will do great!
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:35 AM

Anna~ Glad you are downloading the app! You will find it to be your friend as you are going through the gas pains, etc....seems like everything you search for on there someone else has gone through....

I have really taken it easy so far...next week I plan on adding some SHORT walks throughout my day. I will be 2 weeks post op on Tues. I know I could be doing it know but I keep hearing in my head what I have read on here hundreds of times, "You only get one chance to heal right." So I am resting.

My nurses were glad I was in good shape as I was able to move around pretty easy on my own...They said a good fitness level will definitely make recovery easier!

Good luck to you!

You will do great!

Michelle

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register