Hysterectomy in 2 days (12/2): What to take for cramps? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy in 2 days (12/2): What to take for cramps? Hysterectomy in 2 days (12/2): What to take for cramps?

Unread 11-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Hysterectomy in 2 days (12/2): What to take for cramps?

I'm having a total laparoscopic hyster on Friday, just 2 days away and the anxiety is starting to get more real. I'm 61 years old, have been post menopausal for about 10 years and on HRT that whole time. I started having spotting in June and my doctor tried giving me meds to shed my lining which was thickened, but it wasn't working and was also giving me migraines. A biopsy was done in August that showed complex hyperplasia with no atypia, but my uterus is enlarged with several small fibroids. I have continued to have spotting off and on, but the worst part is the cramping. Normally Motrin completely takes care of that but I was told to stop taking it 5 days prior to surgery. Does anyone have suggestions for cramps besides Motrin? I also found out last week that I have a tooth that needs to have surgery on it. My dentist put me on antibiotics and we hoped to buy enough time to get through the hyster but now I'm worried what will happen if the pain comes back. How soon after surgery would I even feel like going and sitting in the dentist's chair to fix my tooth? Truth be told, the cramps are more bothersome than the tooth so that is my priority at the moment. Sure wish I could just fast forward to Saturday!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2016, 07:58 PM
Re: Surgery in 2 days. What to take for cramps?

Hi Lifeat61 -

Here is an article that discusses period pain before hysterectomy.

Make sure your surgeon and medical team knows you are taking antibiotics for your tooth issue. Talk to him or her about what the dentist wants to do, and when you may be released for this procedure.

In general, recovery from this surgery takes time. Think weeks and not days. It may be a few weeks or so before you can sit in comfortably in a dentist chair - depending on how much time the procedure will take. Also keep in mind, you will be restricted from driving for 2 or 3 weeks, sometimes longer. I was not driving for until 3 weeks post op. You cannot drive if you are on narcotics. And you have to be able to hit the brake hard, turn the wheel hard, and look over your shoulder. Essentially safely operate the vehicle.

Saturday will be here soon!

Unread 12-01-2016, 05:44 AM
Re: Hysterectomy in 2 days (12/2): What to take for cramps?

Hello,

The thought of having a period right before surgery is really scary for me also. I'm scheduled for a hysterectomy on 24 Jan 2017 - and of course, my period is due to start around the 18th. Here's a natural solution that has been helping me with my period pains for several months. I'm so amazed that this has helped me so much. Although it's a natural solution, please run it by your doctor before consuming it. I'm going to do the same. It's called Golden Milk. Here's a recipe that's similar to what I've been using:

Golden Milk

Serves 1-2

Ingredients

•2 cups homemade nondairy nut milk (I've used regular whole milk)

•1 tablespoon raw honey or maple syrup (Never used honey but it tastes great without it)

•1 teaspoon organic turmeric root powder (helps with pain and inflammation)

•1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (helps with pain)

•1 teaspoon ground ginger (helps with pain)

•Dash of black pepper (helps the turmeric absorb better)

I hope this helps and wishing all the best throughout your surgery and recovery.

Golden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2016, 06:34 AM

I would actually recommend against those quantities of turmeric and ginger prior to your surgery, because of their potential blood thinning properties. My favourite remedy for this type of cramping is magnesium, which works by relaxing the smooth muscles in your uterus; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. As for the antibiotics your dentist has prescribed, those plus antibiotics used in the surgery can upset the normal, protective balance of bacteria inside your body, leaving you vulnerable to more infections. While you're taking them, I would also recommend a probiotic supplement, or regular servings of live culture yogurt, to help to maintain this balance. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 12-01-2016, 06:40 PM
Re: Surgery in 2 days. What to take for cramps?

Thank you for all the info~~
Unread 12-01-2016, 06:42 PM

My sister was just telling me about Golden Milk. I won't be ale to try it now so close to surgery, but I hear it's supposed to be really good for a lot of things!
Unread 12-01-2016, 06:43 PM

I have just a few hours to go now. A hot bath with Epsom salts tonight will hopefully help, (magnesium)! Thank you for your reply~~
Unread 12-01-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeat61 View Post
My sister was just telling me about Golden Milk. I won't be ale to try it now so close to surgery, but I hear it's supposed to be really good for a lot of things!
Yes, there are so many great benefits. Thanks Tiger_Eye for the tip about magnesium! I'll research that, as well.
Unread 12-02-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSoulFlwr View Post
. Although it's a natural solution, please run it by your doctor before consuming it.
I agree that you should run this by your doctor. I found the following information about tumeric:

Turmeric might slow blood clotting. It might cause extra bleeding during and after surgery. Stop using turmeric at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...gredientid=662
Unread 12-05-2016, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catherine View Post
I agree that you should run this by your doctor. I found the following information about tumeric:

Turmeric might slow blood clotting. It might cause extra bleeding during and after surgery. Stop using turmeric at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

Wow! Good to know.. I didn't realize, thanks! I surely would have taken it the week before. I guess it'll be hot baths and hot water bottles for me.. ughh.. not looking forward to that at all.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register