LSH and vacation 3 weeks later???? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LSH and vacation 3 weeks later???? LSH and vacation 3 weeks later????

Unread 07-19-2009, 10:29 AM
LSH and vacation 3 weeks later????

HI Ladies,
I am scheduled for LSH on Aug 11. I am also scheduled to go on vacation to Houston, alone, Sept 1-6th. I ony plan on visiting a few museums during vaca ...and I live alone, with 2 cats. wondering if any of you have words of wisdonm and do you think a vaca at that time is OK.
Nurses say I should be fine...guess I'd better pack super light!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2009, 07:39 AM
Re: LSH and vacation 3 weeks later????

I didn't have an LSH so can't share my experinces about that. I think that you should discuss it with your dr and also listen to yourown body. If you get the "go ahead" from your dr, maybe you should plan ahead to take regular rest periods and be sure not to push yourself or over-do.

I live near Houston, September will still be HOT, be sure to pack light, cool clothes

Best wishes.

Unread 07-20-2009, 01:15 PM

Hi Spoonscardinal,

I had a LSH and in my opnion, I think a trip at (3) weeks is very feasible. I went back to work at (2) weeks post-op with my Dr's okay.

I agree with Jeanus and check with your Dr. first. And as Jeanus also replied...just listen to your body. Even at the museums...you might take advantage of a couch they normally provide in exhibition rooms...and take breaks when needed.

Just stay comfortable...wear loose clothes and take your favorite walking shoes.

Best wishes~

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-21-2009, 07:14 PM

I had an LSH last August, and would have been able to go on the type of vacation you mentioned at 3 weeks. I actually had a fairly "aggressive" schedule of things I wanted to be able to do shortly after, and discussed those with my doctor ahead of time. While he couldn't make any guarantees, he was very patient in listening to my concerns and desires, and very encouraging of a quick recovery.

Definitely talk to your doctor about it, but I'd say it's a definite possibility.
Unread 07-21-2009, 07:35 PM

I think it all depends on the person, and you really will not know until you do it. Personally, I would not do a vacation three weeks post-op.

My thought was to be back out doing my regular activity within a week of surgery. My Dr. told me that getting back to normal in a week was realistic. Not in my world. If I had an office job, where I sat at a desk everyday, sure. But I sell wine for a living, so I am in and out of my car 15-20 times a day.

That being said, I knew half way through my first week that I would take a second week off and work via my cell phone. I tried to go back out the next Monday and found that I over did it. I felt okay that day, but crashed on Tuesday. My Dr, told me to stay off for 5 weeks. So, fortunate for me, I was able to work via my phone and have my merchandiser write other accounts for me.

Anyway, the moral of this story is that everyone is different and you will not know how you will do until you actually do it.

By the way, my recovery went well. I was awake, in the recovery room within minutes. My surgery was at 9AM and I was in my room by noon. My cath was out in the recovery room. I had some cheese and crackers by 3PM, used the bathroom around 4 and took my first walk, with the nurse at 4PM.

I did not take any pain meds until 5PM and only did a half a dose as I had heard to stay ahead of the pain. I didn't have pain, so the pain meds went away fast.

I did drink water like a camel.....the night nurse was amazed how often she had to refill my water bottle.....what can I say....I drink a lot of water on a normal basis and surgery made me thirsty! LOL!

My Dr checked on me in the morning and released me....telling me to stay until after lunch. She said "Your insurance is paying for it, you might as well eat it." LOL! She did give me the option to stay a second night, if I wanted to.....I didn't. While it was a "fine" stay, I wanted to be at home. I did have a private room, and there were only two of us in my area at the hospital. The lady across the hall was elderly and hard of hearing. She also LOVED to chat on the phone....chat=yell to a hard to hear person. LOL!

Note to self, if I ever have to have surgery, I will take earplugs. This was only my second surgery...hopefully I will never need another. Earplugs work on flights, they should help in the hospital. LOL!
Unread 07-23-2009, 03:48 PM

Three weeks might be doable, but you will not have your usual stamina to do things. You will need plenty of rest. Take on clothes allowing swelling and plan to do about half of what you would during a regular vacation.
Unread 07-23-2009, 06:47 PM

I took a 3 day vacation at 2 1/2 weeks. I was fine and enjoyed being out of the house. But I did go back to the hotel every afternoon and slept for 1-2 hours before I went out for dinner. I did alot of slow walking and sat down when total.
Unread 07-24-2009, 06:40 AM

A vacation at 3 weeks is very doable. I am 2 weeks post op and playing a full 18 holes of golf. Still get a little tired in the afternoon but otherwise is great. Have a great vacation.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register