Bladder pain after sex at 8.5 weeks post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder pain after sex at 8.5 weeks post hysterectomy Bladder pain after sex at 8.5 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 06-29-2015, 07:42 AM
Bladder pain after sex at 8.5 weeks post hysterectomy

Hello Sisters!

I was cleared at 6 weeks to resume sex. I am now 8.5 weeks po and have been having sex often since then. I have a little soreness during but mostly feel very achy for a couple of days after. It's worse around my bladder, almost like the bladder lining is irritated? My surgery report said he cauterized some adhesions from my bladder to my uterus but he never discussed this with me (I only know because I read it in the report). I do not have pain with urination so I don't feel like I have an infection there. Does anyone else have this? Wondering if I should not be having sex yet, and worried maybe it has something to do with the adhesions removed??

Thank you for any thoughts or advice you have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2015, 09:51 AM
Re: Bladder pain after sex at 8.5 weeks post hysterectomy

In my opinion, this discomfort likely is due to the work he did around your bladder, separating adhesions. I've been told the bladder has many nerve endings and is sensitive to any handling. My bladder ached terribly for 3 months post op and as far as I know, my doctor only moved it aside.

Abdominal adhesions are very common and your doctor may have felt that separating a few during your surgery was so routine it wasn't worth mentioning.

I would slow down on the sex for a few weeks and give your body some more time to finish recovering. Keep drinking lots of water, avoid caffeine and carbonated beverages. Definitely call your doctor if it doesn't improve soon or if it gets worse.

Hope you feel better soon!

Unread 06-29-2015, 11:15 AM

Thank you for your thoughts and advice. It really helps to know what others experience. I agree, taking it easy for awhile with sex is a good idea. None of this recovery has gone as fast I would like. I need to be patient and hopefully it will go away in time. Glad to hear yours did!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2015, 12:18 PM

My bladder has been doing the same thing. I'm a little bit farther along in recovery than you and I can tell you that it has been easing up. I had major bladder spasms the first week of recovery that slowly got better. It's like my bladder just got angry after being moved and is taking a while to get over it. And sex just aggravates it more. I started drinking a glass of cranberry juice every day along with plenty of water and it seems to be making a difference for me. Sometimes I'll drink some juice right after sex. It may be the cranberry juice or just the recovery time, but whatever it is, it's getting better.
Unread 06-29-2015, 12:23 PM

Thank you, that helps a lot! It gives me hope that this will get better. Did you have any lower back with your bladder issue? My back is really cramping up today. I don't think it's high enough to be kidney pain.
Unread 06-29-2015, 12:39 PM

I had some lower back pain early on, but I don't think it was related to the bladder issue. I was just babying my abs too much and not using correct posture. Once I rectified that, my back pain went away. And to add to what sugarandspice said, don't overdo it in the bedroom. Give your body time to recuperate between intimacy sessions. That seems to work better for me. I've read somewhere on here before no more than twice per week. That sounds about right. Maybe try doing some gentle back stretches and see if that helps you out with your back. And as always, if something doesn't feel right, contact your doctor.
Unread 06-29-2015, 12:51 PM

Guitar Chic, that is good to know about resting in between intimacy sessions. We have been so excited to have our sex life back, we have often done it days in a row. It feels like too much, too soon (according to how my body feels) good advice to space that out and rest more in between. I am definitely going to try that! That is much less depressing then quitting sex again all together. Thank you

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register