How many hypothyroids out there? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many hypothyroids out there? How many hypothyroids out there?

Unread 05-16-2005, 07:35 PM
How many hypothyroids out there?

Sisters,

I've been hypo for 7-8 years. I had my TAH with the removal of my last ovary in early December of last year.

It's REALLY critical that you have your doctor keep a close eye on your blood levels for your thyroid along with your estrogen & testostrone because all these hormones are connected.

The endocrine system might be God's way of making our bodies super efficient, but when something is out of whack, all the other glands feel it!!

I made the mistake of letting my surgeon handle my HRT. From what I've read on this site, probably not your best option since you will most likely work with an OBGYN or GP for ongoing maintenance.

I had terrible migraines on estrace, patches and the estrogen cream was not being absorbed enough by my body. Therefore, by week 5 of my recovery my estrogen level was so low it wasn't able to be registered on the blood tests. The last # they got was 19.

I was able to find success using pellets that are inserted under the skin. This has been a god-send because the only other option I had was injections and I'm not sure they have a steady release in your system.

The result of my estrogen being so low, caused my addrenal glands to go nuts!!! My FSH was around 45....and I was having terrible anxiety and heart palputations, not to mention terrible insomnia.

This also really thru my thyroid out of whack. My last blood test 3 weeks ago showed my TSH at 5.5. It hasn't been this high ever, even when I was first diagnosised.

SO, I tell you this to encourage you to stay on top of your levels because it takes soooooo long to get the thyroid back to normal. I am convinced that because my estrogen got so low is why my thyroid literally had a "whip-lash" effect.

Sisters....be sure you talk with your doc before your surgery to put your plan together and be aggressive about regular blood level checks to catch any downward spirals early!!

Gina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2005, 02:48 PM
Thyroid Problems and Hyst.

Hi,
I am very inspired by your story about having Hypothyroid your whole life, and just now feeling better after your Hyst. The things you said fit myself to a tee, the more and more problems I had with my Endo and Ovarian Cysts, Adhesions and Scar Tissue the fatter I am getting no matter what I do or not eat. I have 25lbs. to lose and I hope to God I do, I am also having some skin removed from stomach due to my 2 c-sections and vertical cut. I am hoping and praying for a possitive outcome.

Tianna
Unread 07-12-2005, 03:44 PM

I am hypothyroid too.
My TSH was in the high 60's 3 months after the birth of my 4th child almost 6 years ago.
My numbers were quickly in the "normal" range with .150 Synthroid, but I've still had a lot of the symptoms of the hypothyroidism. Cold hands and feet, weight gain, fatigue and hair loss to name a few.
I too, was wondering if thyroid problems go with female problems as I have 10cm cysts on both of my ovaries that must be surgically removed.
I'm only 35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-12-2005, 05:39 PM

I have been hypothyroid also since 1987. I am only 3 weeks post op, but looking forward to a higher energy level....at the moment I am totally ehausted!!!
Unread 07-12-2005, 08:26 PM

I am hypothyroid also. The dr told me that my thyroid was only working at 2% and that is partly why I have gained so much weight this past year.
Unread 07-13-2005, 01:57 AM

I too am hypothyroid - 23 years since DX - it has been stable thru 3 pregnancies and actually had to be lowered about 18 months ago - how weird is that?!?!? LOL

I haven't thought about it really affecting my TAH I am having in a few hours...

Shauna
Unread 07-13-2005, 02:18 AM

Hypothyroid here for 16 years, medicated for 15. An an annual exam 15 years ago the doc asked, "how's that thyroid medication working for you?" I answered, "what thyroid medication?" : It was one thing in a long line of things I was led to believe were either part and parcel of being a women or a result of my being overweight.

I've since learned that having one leg 1/2" shorter than the other will lead to lots of problems that make it quite painful to be active and finally finding a doctor at age 34 who prescribed orthotics for both feet makes all the difference in the world. I could hardly work as a teacher being on my feet all day in excruciating pain and being told by docs and parents alike it was because I was fat and lazy. But for my honeymoon just 3 years ago, I hiked 60 miles in the Canadian Rockies carried a 25 pound backpack over the course of 9 days. I my podiatrist.

I finally found a doctor who will treat the horrible periods I've had since I was 11. Yay for a hysterectomy!!!

Now if I could get a doc to realize that even though my thyroid levels are in the normal range, I am still having lots of symptoms not relieved. Of course I just learned recently that they are symptoms and not everyone finds cold to be painful, for example.

I to am eager to hear/find out if the surgery changes things that may or may not be thyroid related. My exhaustion, for one. Especially since I am keeping the ovaries barring the doctor finding something wrong with them once he is in there.
Unread 07-13-2005, 06:44 AM
I'm another hypothyroid

Hi,

I was diagnosed after my first child at 26 (10 years ago), I have hatshimo''s (I think that's what it's call, where your body's immune system attacks your thyroid). I have often wondered if the thyroid was the start to all my other problems. I'm on Armour throid now, and boy does that make a big difference compared to the synthetic stuff, I feel a lot better since starting that.

Another question for you thyroid sufferers, does anyone else have problems with skin tags? I started getting them after I was diagnosed, their not too bad, but are anoying.

Take care,
Debra
Unread 07-13-2005, 07:25 AM

Hmm - never associated mine with my thyroid - but yes - I have a LOT of them - especially on my neck - I have had some bigger ones removed - especially after a sweet, but not too bright lady once reached over to remove the "bug" on my neck!

I would like to look more into Wilson's Syndrome and a more natural way to deal with it all - but not today ... today is my hysterectomy!

Shauna
Unread 07-13-2005, 07:52 AM

I have been hypothyroid since my third child was born in 1990. So I have been taking sythyroid for 15 years. I had my LAVH 8 weeks ago so it really has not been long enough to see if this makes any difference yet. But I will say that my energy levels are up. I contribute this to not bleeding 3 weeks out of the month though. I really do feel like a new woman !!!!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register