Not Scheduled I will be having a hysto at the end of Feb | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I will be having a hysto at the end of Feb I will be having a hysto at the end of Feb

Unread 12-31-2009, 02:12 PM
I will be having a hysto at the end of Feb

Hello,
I am 34 and will be having a hysto due to endo at the end of Feb 2010. My doc will be removing everything except my left overie. I have been struggling with this for 2 years now and both myself and my doc feel like this is the only option left. I am looking for any and all advice I can get. To say I am scared is an understatement! I have so many questions that I don't know where to start. Who will take care of my family and my house while I am down? How long will I be down, how much is this going to cost me? Will my sex life be impacted? Will I still feel like a woman? Oh God! How am I going to get through this! please help me....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Re: I will be having a hysto at the end of Feb

Hi and Welcome!!

My suggestion would be to read, read, read this website. There is so much information written by women who have or are currently facing exactly what we are facing. It's a wealth of information. I am reading here everyday and taking notes on the tips I want to remember. It makes me feel more in control of my situation. Now I have ideas of what I should take to the hospital, how to plan my recovery time, what to expect in the hospital and at home.

Two thoughts continue to show up in what I've read here. First is that the anxiety and fear we put ourselves through leading up to our surgery is worse than the actual surgery and recovery itself. That comforts me. The second thought is that we only have one chance to heal correctly. That means we can't overdo it when we get home. We need to follow the doctor's instructions and rest, rest, rest! Housework can wait!! Our healing is more important!! When family or friends ask what they can do to help you, tell them!

This is a great place where we can support eachother and help eachother. We will get through this "big adventure".

Sending you smiles and star filled wishes for a Happy New Year ~~ StarryNite
Unread 12-31-2009, 03:38 PM

jpfaltzgraf,

It sure sounds that all your feelings are normal. Most of us have gone through all of these feelings. I just had LAVH on 12/28 and my doctor removed everything. I am 61 years old though and she did not feel that I needed to keep anything. So I listened to her. I felt like a fool afterwards for all of my feelings. I was a mess going in. I would suggest, since you have time, to start preparing some extra meals for the freezer now, when you are cooking now for your family. Easy meals that can be defrosted and heated up. I now wish that I had done that. Just two of us here now and we eat out most of the time. Christmas leftovers are now gone. I don't feel like going out just yet. Get your house in order before and the rest will be waiting for you and don't worry about that. Like StarryNite told you, the important thing is for you to not overdo and rest. I was only in overnight and I packed way too much for me. I really was still kind of groggy and didn't feel like reading or watching TV. One suggestion that I picked up on was to have your Chapstick with someone that can give it to you right away. My lips were so dry. I had a tote bag with me that had my magazines, that I never touched, glasses, comb, things like that in it. Then I had a small suitcase that was left in the car and only brought up because I wanted my own shampoo and conditioner, toothbrush, paste and makeup. I should of had those things in the tote also. I actually think my husband kept my tote bag with him. I had my clothes that I wore in to the hospital and that is what I wore home. (They put your clothes and shoes in a bag for you.) You would probably need more if your stay is going to be longer. Then your suitcase could be brought up. You will have a better feel of what you will actually need when you find out just what type of surgery you are having and how long you can expect to be in the hospital. The ladies here on this site are great and will give you the support that you need. If you have any questions just ask.

Have a very Happy New Year and have fun tonight. For me, I am staying in and resting. lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2009, 04:04 PM

Hi jpfaltzgraf,

I'm 5 weeks post op from a TAH, leaving both ovaries. I had a fibroid which doubled in size in 3 years and hyst was the best way to get rid of it all.

I agree with StarryNite and ILoveKitties, there are a lot of answers and a lot of help on this website, if you want to know anything just ask your sisters. The only thing I would add to that is don't spend too long looking at the Post Op Forum!!! A lot of the posts there may be from sisters having problems, sisters who are recovering well don't need to ask as many questions - don't get too hung up on what could go wrong.

It's not surprising you're scared - you will be having major surgery, but you can do a lot to prepare yourself for it. As StarryNite and ILoveKitties have both said, give yourself plenty of time to recover afterwards, make sure you have help and can rest as much as possible. Try not to overdo it, even when you start to feel better, you may be healing on the outside but there is a lot more that needs to heal on the inside too.

The worry and stress before the op is definitely the worst part - I used Bach's Rescue Remedy Night before the op to try and calm me down and when I got to the hospital I asked them to give me a 'happy pill' to stop me running away!

ILoveKitties is right about preparing as much as you can beforehand. I cleaned the house and did freeze some meals. Since the op I have been doing the food shopping online to that DH doesn't have to add that to the long list of tasks I've given him to do!

Happy New Year - I'm another one that's staying in and resting xx
Unread 12-31-2009, 04:24 PM

Welcome!

I'm also 34, and don't have a surgery date set. But it's gonna happen, and probably soon!

I can't tell you much about the after part, or even the insurance part because I'm still waiting to find out what mine will say. I do know that hospitals these days have financial counselors (or something like that) who can help you with financing and setting up your insurance situation, if you need.

I just wanted to let you know that I've been on here for a few months and I have seen literally dozens of posts that start out just like your's, asking the same questions. Which isn't to say anything bad, just to reassure you that you are not alone at all! We're here and we'll figure it out with you.

Part of what will determine your outcome is what all is going in inside you, and most of that your doctors can't even tell you until they open you up. It's pretty common to be told it's one thing, and then get in there and it's completely different and/or you have several things (even tumors!) that they missed in ultrasound, MRI, or CT scans. People go in for a laparoscopic surgery and wake up with a full abdominal cut.

So my only real advice, given that there are no guarantees of what you have or what you will get done is to prepare for the "worst" case scenario. Then you're covered and can be happy when it's not as bad as you were ready for! And, get it out. Talk about it, write about it, and feel it however it comes. Utilize your support system (even us!) as you need. This IS one of those situations that requires support even for the strongest of us.

Take care, and I hope you find all the information and support you need here.
Unread 12-31-2009, 06:15 PM

I agree with everyone else here. Read all the information they have about hysterectomies. That will help answer some of the questions you have. I would talk to the doctor to find out what type of surgical procedure they are using (i.e. abdominal vs. laproscopic vs. DaVinci) as that will help you to know how long recovery is.
What you are feeling is normal. I know I was very nervous the week before with my mind going 100 miles an hour. I found that by asking questions it helped to cope with it. Ask the questions you have so you get the answers you need.
Have a Happy New Years. My party is going on this website, then getting in my pj's and going to bed.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register