Newcomer & TAH diagnosed | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newcomer & TAH diagnosed Newcomer & TAH diagnosed

Unread 10-08-2001, 06:02 PM
Newcomer & TAH diagnosed

WEll just discovered hyster sisters, and was told last week that a total abd. hyst. was needed. 46 years old taking ovaries and all. Have been fighting with fibroid tumors for 2 years now, don't know what size but the severe back pain is awful. I can't even go shopping for a few hours and it starts hurting. Was told uterus is tilted and putting pressure on pelvic bone. Also have cystic on ov aries, anyway I just ordered the princess package so i can read what to expect. I have read some of the post already. So any advise anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated. Will get my date Thurs on when surgery will be performed.

thank you, sisterwoman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2001, 06:29 PM
hi...

just want to wish you GOOD luck! and let you know that a great place for real time advice and support is the chatroom. Its easy to download if you don't already have AIM, we'll look out for you

Just go to the main page, click chat and follow the instructions.

Come and join us!

Steph
Unread 10-08-2001, 06:34 PM
Welcome Sisterwoman,

You've found a great place to get lots of good info and lots of !! I'm glad you found hystersisters! It has helped me sooo much! The waiting is the worst part!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-08-2001, 07:54 PM
Newcomer & TAH diagnosed

Hi Sisterwoman,
You sound to ready. I am also TAH, but it took me about 4 months to buy into the idea. Be sure to go back to the "register" when you have your surgery date.

It helps to plan ahead. Purchasing groceries, quicky meals, birthday cards for friends or family, etc. Also getting some help. My doc did not gloss over it she said I will need quite a bit the first week, but to also get up move around, and go back to bed when I get tired.

The site has been great. I would have freaked out at my pre-op and pre-reg appointments, if I didn't already know quite a bit about what to expect. Jan
Unread 10-09-2001, 08:15 AM
Newcomer & TAH diagnosed

HI and welcome!

I had a TAH a year ago, at age 28, due to a large fibroid, so I know how uncomfortable you are!

Here are some things that helped make my recovery a little easier:

Once you're at home, you'll need to have some comfortable clothes to wear. I found men's pajamas very comfortable, because the large, drawstring waists came up well above my incision, and the button-up tops didn't have to go over my head (hard to get my arms up). You will probably want to have large, "granny-panties" in a size or two large than you normally wear (you will be swollen and sore!).

Have a tummy pillow handy at all times! This would be a small pillow that you hold against your abdomen when you have to sneeze or cough. Keep it where you can grab it with only a second’s notice! I had a sneeze sneak up on me once when I couldn’t grab my pillow – ouch! It felt like my insides exploded.

Have plenty of no-preparation foods on hand, like fruit, soup, cereal, snack bars, etc. I had absolutely no appetite for a couple of weeks, and my frantic husband finally convinced me to drink some Ensure, which went down ok. You may want to have some of that in the fridge for times you just don’t feel like eating, but need nourishment.

Also, buy PLENTY of juice! You will need to drink LOTS of liquids when you get home to help with the gas. I got bored with the same type of juice, so my husband bought lots of different types, and put them in small containers for me (I found it difficult to lift and pour large containers for awhile). Don't drink anything carbonated, and don't use a straw (makes the gas worse).

I also found a shower chair very helpful. Standing up long enough to shower wore me out! You could also use any plastic chair that will fit in your shower.

VERY IMPORTANT: have anything you might need at waist-level. This includes toilet paper, pads, clothing, cups, food, plates, etc. Believe me, you will NOT want to bend or reach for anything! The house may look cluttered for awhile with everything sitting out on counter tops, but it's worth it!

If you’re going to be alone, make sure the phone is where you can reach it at ALL times! Several of us have gotten “stuck” (couldn’t get off the couch without help, problems in the bathroom, etc.), and have needed to call for assistance.

Once you’re feeling a bit better, you might start getting a bit bored. Unfortunately, you will be very limited in what you will be able to do. These are some things I did to pass the time, along with some suggestions from other hystersisters:

Reading LOTS of books
Writing long letters to friends and family (real letters, not e-mail!)
Organizing photo albums
Drew out plans for the garden
Bought a tape to improve Spanish skills
Watching lots of movies
Crafts, quilting, etc.
HYSTERSISTERS site!

Good luck and keep posting!

:usflag:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register