stiches or staples | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stiches or staples stiches or staples

Unread 10-23-2002, 08:38 PM
stiches or staples

I am on my way to the castle in two week Nov. 6th to be exact, and I was curious, I am getting the bikini cut incision, will I get staples or stitches to close me up? or does each Dr. do it different? what is most common?
Another question for my sisters, is there a lot of bleeding from below?? lol...
Thanks all )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2002, 08:48 PM
stiches or staples

From all I've read on this site- we get stitches on the inside and staples on the outside. They look like Frankenstein, but they really don't hurt to have taken out. They were uncomfortable while they were in- kinda pokey.
I didn't have much bleeding at all. Only a slight discharge for a few days. I'm sure it's different for everyone though.
Good luck to you. Remember to REST when you get home from the castle.
Unread 10-23-2002, 09:26 PM
I've had both in the past.

Surgical training has something to do with it. One surgeon stitched and my current doc thinks staples give a better closure. One surgeon stapled my gallbladder and appendix sites and when other docs see that, they fume.

Stitches seemed more comfortable to me, if I am allowed to compare. Staples tugged too much. But, I am going to be out of it, so I doubt my preference will be heeded much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2002, 06:56 PM
stiches or staples

I have had 3 adominal surgeries and each time they used staples - I never had a problem with them and I kinda got use to the railroad track look they leave.
Unread 10-24-2002, 07:05 PM
I got staples

Hi all,

I got staples last week. They removed them after only two days, the evening I came home from the hospital. I'm pretty thin and have very little swelly belly, so maybe that's why mine came out so soon.

Funny (NOT!) thing happened ... the nurse accidentally left one in (there was some slight bleeding during the removal and I think it got covered up) and I noticed it two days after I got home. The steri-strips were covering the incision, and a staple was kind of peeking out between two steristrips. I called the hospital and they told me I could go to my doctor the next day or try to take it out myself. Since I didn't have a ride to the doctor, I decided to do it myself. I don't recommend that. They look kind of C-shaped when they come out, but that's only because the instrument used for removal "opens" them up a little bit. They're actually an almost-closed rectangle.

I told my dh I should now try out for "Survivor" - I can do anything!

I almost forgot to answer your question - even with my history, there is very little bleeding from the incision, only some slight spotting when I overdo or sneeze!
Unread 10-25-2002, 04:07 AM
stiches or staples

It's another one of those things where "every DR is different". I had staples, they were removed in 48 hours, before I was discharged. Some ladies say theirs stayed in til they had their first post op apt. A few have stitches, and others only have steri strips from day one!

If you want to know what you are going to wake up with, before surgery ask your DR.

I had a TAH and at the most, I had maybe a tiny bit of spotting immediately after surgery. Took a couple of weeks before I really believed it and stopped wearing panty liners though!

Best wishes!
Unread 10-25-2002, 05:12 AM
stiches or staples

my first laproscopic surgery i had staples

just around my belly button and that was back in 2000

i had a laproscopic in Aug 2002 with a small incision on the belly button and a small incision down under the bikini line and had stitches in both places (same dr did both surgeries)

i dont what the difference was between the 2, but i think the stitches were worse to have, they were itchy and actually pinched when the dr cut them at my post op visit

for my hysterectomy on tues i got staples (35 to be exact)

and they dont bother me like the stitches did

if that helps any
Unread 10-25-2002, 06:45 AM
stiches or staples

ksses, you just had your TAH tuesday and you are on the puter, how's that feel? are your staples still in?
Unread 10-25-2002, 11:43 AM
stiches or staples

hiya Maztrk

Yes i still have my staples in and my incision is vertical

i have a very comfortable computer chair, one with a high back

and it also tilts back, which is actually comfortable

im a bit sore all over, but i do suggest not sitting at the computer too long

for me i cant lay down too long and i cant sit or stand too long so i rotate so i dont get too sore

its a nice break from laying in the bed

the worse part that bothers me with my staples is at times when i have to yell out for someone or for my kids, so i try not too LOL

a bell might be good !
Unread 10-25-2002, 05:09 PM
stiches or staples

I had a vertical incision closed with dissolving stitches & steri strips. My dr removed the steri strips at my 2 week post op & my incision looks great! (Well.....it looks "ok" ;-)

I had major bleeding the first time I got out of bed after surgery - spotted for 3 days & have had nothing since.

Best wishes to you!

Mongie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register