dVH/RALH Hair loss after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hair loss after surgery Hair loss after surgery

Unread 12-05-2011, 04:56 PM
Hair loss after surgery

Hi Sisters,

I haven't posted in a while, mainly because I would be complaining or worrying myself to death. I've had quite a roller coaster ride since my hysterectomy in August.

My TVT sling was put in too tight and I've already had to have one revision with an excision to be done on December 13 to get as much of the mesh tape out as possible. So much pain and other problems.

But as if I hadn't experienced enough issues it seems my hair would like to leave me more and more everyday. I read some posts on here regarding it but most were older ones so I wanted to ask around now and see if any of you have experienced hair loss.

I have (had) thick curly hair, now every time I shower, brush, pick or just run my fingers through it I'm losing more and more. It is enough to notice the difference in thickness although I don't seem to have any bald spots (gonna go to my hair dresser and have her go through it good). My PCP checked my thyroid and it was fine.

PLEASE HELP!! If you know anyway to slow it down or solutions. I've read where surgery alone can cause it and I'm scared to death with the upcoming surgery that I will go completely bald.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2011, 07:32 AM
Re: Hair loss after surgery

Sammi

I ezperienced some of the hair loss right after surgery but it did stop. I don't know if this article will give you any new ideas or insights [url=https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/article_453640.htm] hair thinning / loss after hysterectomy [/ul]

Unread 12-06-2011, 09:31 AM

This could definitely be related to hormonal changes after surgery. You might want to ask about having your thyroxin levels checked. The thyroid produces most of the thyroxin for your body, but ovaries also produce some and having them removed may mean you're no longer getting enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-06-2011, 09:37 AM

I still have my ovaries and had my thyroid checked last week. Called my PCP yesterday and my thyroid levels were normal.

I went to Walmart and bought some Nioxin Shampoo and Conditioner. From the reviews it seems to work well. I shall see.

I'm just worried with this upcoming surgery (if it's the stress of the surgery and anesethia, it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Thanks for your response though. I feel so depressed and alone it's really scary.

Not to mention the constant pain I'm in from the TVT gone bad. I have nerve damage and the mesh tape in eroding into my vagina now. It has not been an easy few months to say the least.

Glad I have you guys to vent to.
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:40 AM

Sammi67, sorry to hear you're having troubles and needing additional surgeries - keeping my fingers crossed this next one goes well and you get smooth sailing after that!

Re hair loss - I also have (had) super thick curlyish hair, that grew really fast. I had my TAH in July and shortly after I started losing hair by the handfuls, pillowcase fulls, shower floor fulls, hairbrush fulls, you name it and there was my hair. I'm 49 and was in perimenopause, but my hormone levels before surgery were great so we kept my ovaries. I'm already on synthroid for hypothyroidism, but those levels were very, very stable for a long time prior to surgery. I expected to lose some hair from surgery, as I had after gallbladder surgery a year ago, but this was a huge amount, just huge. My gyn kept saying it was post surgery hair loss and finally (seemed like it took her forever!) after me listing all my symptoms she did blood work and found that I had major hormone imbalance, and not in a good way. She put me on ERT, vivelle-dot, and my symptoms started easing quickly. It took a little longer for my hair to stop falling out and go back to a regular shedding pattern, and a little longer than that to start seeing new hair growth. I really love those little baby hairs even if they do stick up all over.

I started the nioxin shampoo, conditioner and scalp treatment spray to make sure my scalp was super clean and to make the hair I still had stronger. It also does something with the scalp chemistry to help hair in the resting stage stay in longer, but I did hear from my hairdresser it doesn't work for everyone. I didn't care and am using it anyway - whether it is helping or not I don't know, but I'm not balding now so that's what counts!! I don't dry my hair with a blow dryer at all if I can avoid it, and don't get any product (other than nioxin) on my scalp. I've also heard that taking extra biotin can help. My gyn didn't want me changing the supplements I'm on so I didn't add any extra, but maybe you can find out more about that.

Good luck, hang in there, and be good to yourself. Wishing you speedy healing and much curlyness in your future!
Unread 12-06-2011, 01:14 PM

I have heard that anesthesia contributes to hair loss after surgery.
Unread 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM

Thanks so much Cal and everyone for your input. I will keep you posted on my progress.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register