Scheduled TVH Lots of ?'s and many about sex in future with big O's | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lots of ?'s and many about sex in future with big O's Lots of ?'s and many about sex in future with big O's

Unread 01-23-2013, 08:18 PM
Lots of ?'s and many about sex in future with big O's

I have so many questions. The more research I do here and online the more confused, frustrated and anxiety I get. I want to have the TVH but am afraid of the side affects so many speak about regarding nerves being damaged and troublesome sex for female later on as far as orgasms and feeling.
So is vaginal better or lap. adominal better?
Also, should I keep my cervix, does it help with orgasms, if I keep my cervix will I still bleed a little every month?
Ablation or hysterectomy? Doctor says uterus is great size for vaginal hysterectomy but suggested a month ago I think about ablation. Will I still have periods, what are the side affects b/c nothing online seems straight forward. Should I get ablation first and see how things go then hysterectomy later if needed?
Sex, it's great now, how will it change, what will change. I am keeping my ovaries, so what happens later on? So many forums with sisters who say they wouldn't do this. I am so much more scared now then before.
I am doing this because I have had bad pain starting about six months ago with every period it gets worse. I had tiny cyst on ovaries burst that sent me to ER. Doctor put me on birth control for last three months. Well in December I bled most of the month, a total of six periods. Some with major pain. ER doctor says small fibroids and my regular new ob says same but not cancer but period pains get worse. Doctor at one point suggested ablation for bleeding but I said forget it lets do hysterectomy. now I am undecided and don't want most of all my sex life with hubby of my entire life since I was sixteen to change. Please sister respond as I am in need of help. Surgery set for Feb 28th and pre op the 20th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2013, 02:27 PM
Re: Lots of ?'s and many about sex in future with big O's

I had a LAVH 5 weeks ago. I did not keep my cervix. I still have my ovaries. I have not had relations with my husband yet cause we have to wait the 6 weeks per doctor. blah blah... any way I still have strong sexual urges, in fact it has increased since the hyster. And when these surges occur everything feels normal down below. I have heard that in keeping the cervix you will still have mini periods. Which is why I opted to have cervix removed as well. I know this prob was not much help but I answered what I could... lol

Good luck!
Brina
Unread 01-24-2013, 02:40 PM

i asked this same question on the post op page.. and i have to say i received some very reassuring responses! i am also not cleared to have sex yet.. but the doc did release me to have outercourse.. so its just a matter of time before my husband and i " test the button" ill keep you posted! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-24-2013, 06:00 PM

thank you sisters. but I am still looking to for that answer about long term effects.
Unread 01-24-2013, 07:12 PM

I had a TAH 7 months ago and my sex life has been wonderful. The big "O" for me is so much better. There us no more pain or heavy bleeding. I kept my ovaries and gave my cervix the boot. There is a small chance of a mini period if you keep your cervix. I just knew I would be in the small group to have them. The reason for a mini period is your cervix is made up of uterine tissue and can take the place if your uterus. I did keep my ovaries because I was not ready to go into menopause If I had 5 more years left with them then so be it lol. Since I do have them I still have PMS but without the bleeding It is a small sacrifice I made so not to go into menopause yet. My doctor offered me ablation for my painful periods. That was until he discovered I had a fibroid the size of a grapefruit. After a few test it was found out I had several fibroids My doctor advised me without treatment that they would continue to grow. He said I could still try ablation but it probably would do no good because of their size. He said if it did work I would still have a good chance of them coming back and I would have a hysterectomy anyways in a few years. I decided to do it and get it over with. I was scheduled for a LAVH which is a easier procedure and a faster recovery time. I was converted on the table to a TAH because of scar tissue. My doctor advised me this was safer The TAH Recovery was longer and harder for me. If you have a history of cyst on your ovaries then I can see why your doctor may want you to lose them. You sound so unsure on what you want to do so i think you should get a fresh opinion and seek a 2nd opinion by another doctor. See what a different doctor has to tell you There is nothing wrong with getting another doctors opinion. Good luck Hun oh and I was told I would have light or no periods for several years after an ablation
Unread 01-24-2013, 08:05 PM

I had a TAH in Aug. of 2009 so almost 3 1/2 years ago, sex is better than ever, the big O is the same as before, there is a very small percentage of woman that have issues in that department, but they are a very small percentage, so don't let that discorage you from doing what you need to do for your health and emotional well being, because I know from experience what heavy painful periods can do to you emotionally. Remember that the majority of the post you read on here are the very small percentage of woman who have complications, the rest of us are out living life to the fullest, and very seldom post on here except to offer encoragement, and support. There are hundreds if not thousands of Hysts done everyday in the world, and 90% or more have text book recoveries, and have a sex life better than ever, and don't regret their hysts for a second. Just one thing follow your Dr. post op instructions to the letter, and you will be fine.
Unread 01-24-2013, 10:22 PM

Thank you sisters. Every good reponse is making me feel so much more at ease with this decision and that my sex life will be ok. Today was a bad day as I am ovulating and all I feel is pressure pain.
Unread 01-25-2013, 06:45 AM

I too have had all these same questions! I will be having a hysterectomy on Feb 7th. I am not as concerned with the sex as my husband is. I have always had pain during intercourse and I am at least hoping it will turn a new leaf for us!

I am so glad to have found this site! I am getting alot of anxiety, but feel great to be taking back part of my life!

Thank you all for the support and suggestions!

shanna

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register