New but sure; need guidance | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New but sure; need guidance New but sure; need guidance

Unread 10-23-2012, 08:57 PM
New but sure; need guidance

I'm new to this site. I'm 46 and have been suffering with fibroids since I was in my 20s. I have had a myomectomy; that helped temporaily. I have had UFE; that was temporary relief as well. I have been looking up information on hysterectomies and have discovered that I have been enlightened on the various procedures and recoveries. I'm tired my long menstrual cycles and I'm tired all the time; from being anemic. My blood count has gone up but after a time it goes down. I want to be energetic again. Now all I think about is sleeping. I am not as active as I used to be. so here I am searching for answers/a solution. During my last check up, I was urged to research...I was asked "aren't you tired of dragging yourself around?" So I'm contemplating on hysterctomy, types, pros and cons. I'm tired of being tired. I've been told that I look younger than I am, but sure don't feel like it. Any experience, input will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Re: New but sure; need guidance

Hi there!! I am new here also. I just had my appt. with a gyno today to talk about my options for my endometriosis. I have a recently discovered extra large mass on my left fallopian tube and ovary that is larger than a newborn's head!!!

I think that the best thing that you can do is schedule a consult with a gyno. I am 44. I was very happy to hear that this doctor is very experienced with the Davinci surgery and it is possible that I might not even have an overnight stay at the hospital. And a 2-3 week recovery time, as opposed to 6-8 weeks. I was so worried about recovery and being away from work for so long... So - there are options for you.

I am sick of the pain from the endo. The extended heavy periods, the bloating, never knowing when I was going to feel discomfort, back pain, spotting, cramping all month long. A hysterectomy sounds like a little slice of heaven to me.

I will need HRT as I haven't hit menopause yet, but I will gladly take it to ward off the worst of being thrust into surgical menopause. And, the doctor did tell me today, that once this was all said and done, I would feel like a new woman - free of the pain and carrying around a bowling ball in my abdomen!!!

So, I don't have any experience to give - except to say - get a consult. To be able to ask a professional might ease some of your concerns and fears. And, to have some answers might push you to make a decision to help give you some the life you want back.
Unread 10-24-2012, 02:34 PM

Hi,

Sounds like you have been through a lot!

I can share my experience.

I was diagnosed with fibroids when I turned 30 and had a myomectomy about 11 years ago.

Like you, I developed new fibroids and I developed really heavy bleeding, plus my uterus was around 20 week size or so, so it was impacting other organs, bladder, bowels, etc.

I was scheduled for a DVH after 3 months of Lupron.

When they started the procedure, they realized my organs were out of position due to adhesions / scar tissue and ended up calling in a general surgeon thinking I had a hernia (I didn't). So I was converted to TAH on the table and they went in through my old vertical scar.

I knew in advance this was possible and my doctor knew I preferred going in through the old scar. Once the scar tissue was removed, the hysterectomy and bladder sling were performed with no issues.

I recovered really well from both of my surgeries. This time there was no bleeding, no discharge, no infections, nothing. I was cleared at 4 weeks and I'm doing fantastic. Other than very slight swelling (I could wear my regular clothes from day one), I can barely tell anything was done. I started walking Day 5 and gradually increased my walks every day until I got up to 3 miles a day at week 3. Went back to the gym week 5.

I'm not a doctor, but what I have heard is that DVH is considered to be less invasive and is being used more frequently. Because it's less invasive, recovery is supposed to be a little easier. Another pro is that you have smaller incisions instead of a big one - important to gals who want to look good in that bikini!

In my opinion, it really seems like recovery depends on the individual. I had a TAH with vertical incision plus all the scar tissue clean up and the bladder sling and I had a remarkably easy recovery. In theory, my recovery should have been more difficult than individuals who have had DVH. But that wasn't the case.

Some people have DVH and bounce back immediately, some have issues. Same with the other procedures.

I don't regret any of the choices I have made and it's rather nice to know that I don't have to worry about the problems anymore. I have already lost 15 pounds from my pre surgery weight.

Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2012, 09:54 PM

Hi Everready:

Here is a link to info on the different types of hysterectomy: Information and you can also find lots of info at the top right of this page, under the purple tab labeled Articles.

I hope you are able to find the right answers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register