Pain questionfollowing TVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain questionfollowing TVH Pain questionfollowing TVH

Unread 12-15-2006, 09:17 AM
Pain questionfollowing TVH

Hi! I am a newbie here. I found this site a God-send for all of my questions and concerns facing my up coming TVH on Jan 9. I had one question... Was wondering if the recovery and pain afterwards is similar to the recovery after a c-section??? Was just wondering if anyone could answer this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2006, 09:27 AM

I can not compare the pain to a c/s recover since I had vag births. But I will say my pain as not been real bad. The worst part is the gas pain. And I must say I am still taking my pain meds. I am starting to have pressure like I am going to have a bm. This is not too fun but do able. I guess what I am saying is that the discomfort I am having is not enough to make me say I would not do it again. If you can make it through a c/s recovery you should be able to do this. Good luck
Unread 12-15-2006, 09:33 AM

Thank you sooooooo much! I had alot of pressure after both (vag. delivery with my first son, and a section after my second son) Hope you continue to recover as well!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2006, 11:20 AM
c-section

Hi! I had 2 c-section 15 years ago my SAH. Like you, I thought it´d be the same recovery. it is different: you do not have a child to take care of and (in my case) you´re older (43). It´d been better for me to know that the recovery would take longer. But, it is not so hard! Prior to op, I organized my home, meals, kids, laundry,job, everyhting for my return there. It is a good idea to relax with music/movies/books, whatever makes you feel better and rest (how much? you´re body is going to tell you). I´m on 17 days from op and really good, but not doing all the things I was doing before.Eventhough I´m working at home from my PC. But... I´ve learned that is good to relax and do nothing... at least once in your life! Main thing for me was gas and no sleeping. For the gas, all bran muffins, lots of water to help bm. For sleeping: it was just a matter of time. Now I´m really fine!
Prepare yourself the way you choose: everything is going to be O.K.
Unread 12-15-2006, 10:23 PM

I was wonering this too, I had 2 c/s's and I figured I took care of babies with them, so this should be easier? Not sure tho.
Unread 12-18-2006, 07:30 AM

Dear sir-vix77,

On my own experience, it is not the same. The recovery takes longer. Maybe of the age (I´m 43) or that the surgery is more invasive. In my case there were adhesions to bowels and bladder, and that gest into an inflamatory belly that has to heal. But... there is always a but! It is not so had. I´m on my 20 th day, I am working at home , do light things at home (I never lift nor push), have been doing some Christmas shopping, and resting all I can (I am very active)
In my case, it´d been helpful to know that it is not as a c-section recovery, because of what I expected about my post op.
But I´m happy, I´m doing really, really fine and improving day by day.
Unread 12-18-2006, 06:55 PM

I have had 3 c/s before this so I have to say that I thought the same thing. I thought it would be easier because I was having surgery but I had no baby to take care of. I am at six weeks and I am finding the pain to last longer. I also feel worn out more than after having c/s. I think because the scars are on the inside, I expected to feel better. I went back to work 1/2 days at three weeks and full at 4. I teach 2nd grade and it has been hard. I think that each one of us is different though. Good Luck!

Laura
Unread 12-18-2006, 09:58 PM

While I cant compare a TVH to a C-Section, I would imagine that the pain would be different since you have an internal incision with a TVH. That being said I did not have a lot of pain. I did take my pain meds and followed my restrictions carefully. Like all recoveries IMHO it is important to stay ahead of the pain - luckily this was not too hard for me to do.

Best wishes y'all!
Unread 12-19-2006, 06:49 AM

I never had a c-section, so I can't compare. But, I found the pain to be minimal. I took pain meds (motrin) once in the hospital and once at home for a headache. I had gas pain and pain in my shoulder from having a laparoscopy, but the pain from the surgery was next to nothing! I"m not sure if this is unusual or not.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register