Question for those of you who have had LAVH or TVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question for those of you who have had LAVH or TVH Question for those of you who have had LAVH or TVH

Unread 04-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Question for those of you who have had LAVH or TVH

I was supposed to have a LAVH but my doctor was able to do the whole procedure vaginally so I guess I had a TVH.

At my pre-op visit when we thought I would have a LAVH my doctor said recovery time would be 1wk and no sexual activity for 3wks. From what I have read through out this site recovery is much longer.

He also said I would be awake & the procedure would only take 20mins. Once we were at the hospital we found out that would not be true. We found it odd, but my doc is one of the best in the city & have been with him for 3 years. He is very smart and very skilled. We trust him fully and I still do.

Naturally after reading through everyones experiences I am now questioning the recovery time he gave me. Has anyone else been given this estimated recovery time or something similar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 04:50 AM

Hi Star
I had a TVH on Feb 27, my doc said 4-6 weeks recovery. No sexual activity until 6 week check up.
I really didnt feel like my old self until week 6-7. I went back to work last week at week 7 and thought at the time maybe that was too soon. I was sooo tired. It's been 8 weeks now and I feel great, I still get the odd twinge, sometimes achy belly and I get tired easier. You can be sure your body will tell you. Everyone is different. Take it easy and listen to your own body. All the best.
Unread 04-25-2008, 05:48 AM

About the same for me as darling. I had a tvh. I was told 6wks. on recovery. No sex, lifting, pushing, pulling, vacuuming until 6 wk checkup. I gradually started feeling better at about 5 wks, but didn't feel like my old self until about 7-8 wks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-25-2008, 06:17 AM

TVH here and told 6 weeks too. I was only told not bending over and no lifting over 10lbs. Sex is a no no until the 6 wk mark and only AFTER the Dr. ok's it.
Unread 04-25-2008, 07:31 AM

I also was also told no sex, no heavy lifting or pushing or pulling, and to take it easy no major housework and such. I will be 3 months post op on May 7.
Unread 04-25-2008, 08:36 AM

I was told 6-8 weeks recovery with no lifting over 5lbs., etc... just like all the rest. I was told I absolutely could not drive for 4 weeks and no intercourse until cleared by DR.... usually 4-6 week period. I'm just in my third week and I've ripped stiches already (last weekend) and I think that was from either reaching for the sugar bowl that was too high or either getting out of bed improperly.
Unread 04-25-2008, 10:17 AM

I had an LAVH on 4/17/08 my dr. told me when I left the hospital (I was not on pain meds.) I could drive when I felt like it I was ready no lifting over 5lbs no pushing or pulling for 2 wks..He said in 4 weeks I could do all normal activity and I have to say I feel great I have no pain and I do feel normal but I also have had past surg. with alot more pain. remember we all heal at differnt speeds.You have to what is right for You, and tell your dr. how you feel if you are ready to start normal activity or if you feel you need more time. Also I was told I would be knocked out and surg would take about 2 to 2 1/2 hrs. and I would stay at the hospital for about 23 hrs. after and then go home.

IN HIS HANDS

mary
Unread 04-25-2008, 01:30 PM

all doctors are different and we all heal differently as well.

I had a TVH. doc initially told me I would be completely limited for 6 weeks. well, I healed very well. I was pretty much back to normal within the first two weeks. hardly any pain past day 3, no bleeding, etc. I started driving one week post op.

on my 3rd week post op, he told me I was free to start exercising but that I couldn't do any core exercises. and he still told me no sex until week 6 to make sure the vaginal cuff was healed. he even told me I could use weights. I chose light weights (just 5 lbs but could have done heavier if I wanted to) and started doing upper body workouts plus walking daily at a pretty intense rate. I did build up to it, but it was fine.

since you're unclear, I suggest you call your doc's office and ask again. and then listen to your body. I also made sure I had plenty of rest as to not over do it. it worked and here I am, 7 weeks post op feeling great.
Unread 04-25-2008, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slims1969
I was told 6-8 weeks recovery with no lifting over 5lbs., etc... just like all the rest. I was told I absolutely could not drive for 4 weeks and no intercourse until cleared by DR.... usually 4-6 week period. I'm just in my third week and I've ripped stiches already (last weekend) and I think that was from either reaching for the sugar bowl that was too high or either getting out of bed improperly.
Dumb question I am SURE, but how do you KNOW you tore stitches? Did you FEEL it, SEE it, etc.? I just wonder sometimes when I get a twinge an no one tells you what it would be like if you did actually pull a stitch.
Unread 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM

Hey there. There are no dumb questions here Here's how I found out I pulled a stitch in the vaginal cuff....
On Monday, after bright red bleeding (with clots and lots of increased pain) all weekend, I finally called the nurse. She told me to come in that afternoon, and when my dr. did a pelvic (oh boy oh boy) internal exam, thats how I know I ripped a stitch. She said the last stitch in the cuff was popped and she could clearly see where all the bleeding was coming from. She just cauterized it right then with Silver Nitrate in the office.
Otherwise, I don't know how you would tell if you pulled a stitch. Because some amount of bleeding and pain is completely normal, right? I had just done very light housekeeping that Saturday morning - nothing big at all. I may have lifted a 3/4 full gallon of milk.
Since the cauterization, I've not bled one bit.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register