Jitters - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-26-2002, 04:06 PM
Good Book

Nancy,

So far it is a good book. I did skip over to hysterectomies to read what this DR had to say about. He basically said that too many unnecessary hysterectomies have been done. But he also indicates the necessities for a hysterectomy. And so far, everyone on this site, I have read about is a candidate for hysterectomy. According to what I have read so far from this book. Now, this is my opinion and my opinion only.

I hope that covers my you-know-what! LOL!!!

I know what you mean about the talking you out of it. I have already been advised by a couple of "experts". You know the ones I am talking about? The non-medical people that know more than the DR, and what they have to go on is, "I heard that a friend of a friend of a friend of mine, went through yada, yada, yada!!!"

Where in Maryland to you live? I have a brother in Columbia.

Anyway, Take Care and God Bless!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2002, 05:36 PM
Jitters

Hi Barbara:
I know where you are coming from as my gyn told me no pain meds for home. I wasn't accepting that answer and called and got Vicodin. Please, Please, please get this straight before your surgery. Never be afraid to disagree with these doctors. They are human just like us. It's your body not his.
Take care,
Regina LIW
Unread 04-26-2002, 06:31 PM
Jitters

I have to jump in to this discussion also. I know you are probably tired of hearing about getting another Dr, but hopefully enough of us saying it will make you see that you really should do that.

First off, a Dr. that makes you 2 hrs and then gives you only 10 mins, has no respect for his patients. I understand that Drs have emergencies and can get behind, but they need to spend enough time with you to get your questions answered. And he is not planning a pre-op visit?? I find that as scary as the rest of your story. Your surgery is not for almost two months, your medical condition in many ways can change in that time. Who is going to medically clear you to have surgery?

And pain management is a huge part of healing. That is a major emphasis in medical schools and nursing schools right now. It is actually part of EVERY medical evaluation. The hospital accrediting boards mandate that every patient must be routinely evaluated for pain. AND treated for that pain, with appropriate follow-up evaluation of that treatment. (Boy do I know about this!!! Our hospital is going through accreditation next week.)

If your insurance company limits your choices of gyn's and this is the only one in your town, go to the next town. If you have an HMO and this is where you primary sent you, please advise him of what you have shared with us. And ask for another referral for a second opinion. Or call your HMO and let them know you are unhappy with this Dr. and ask them if you can get a second opinion from another Dr. on your plan. You should have the choice to stay with the second Dr. if that is your choice.

This is your health and your body. Don't be pushed into something that you are not 10% comfortable with. Insurance companies are approachable. And even those scary HMOs are generally willing to try and help.

Good luck. Please let us all know what happens.

Caren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2002, 06:33 PM
Jitters

oops, that was supposed to be 100% comfortable with. Sorry

Caren
Unread 04-26-2002, 06:38 PM
Jitters

Cathi,

Thanks for the book info. Isn't it amazing how so many folks who have never even had a period, much less a hysterectomy have all the answers?? LOL.

I'm in southern Maryland, St. Mary's County. We are quite a ways from Columbia, although we do visit the mall there from time to time and my teenage sons went to a wrestling tournament there this spring. We are on a little peninsula, about 60 miles due south of Washington, D. C.

Nancy
Unread 04-26-2002, 08:21 PM
Jitters

Thanks for all your advice. I talked with a customer representative from BCBS to see about another doctor because the more I think about it, the more I dread this surgery with a doctor I think is an idiot. I had a bad feeling about this guy when I noticed that his parking lot and waiting room was full (he of course had reserved parking at the door) and no one appeared to be leaving. My immediate thought was that this guy thinks that I have nothing better to do than cool my heels in his office. I ought to send him a bill for my time. The only reason I saw him in the first place is because my internist recommended him and I like my internist.

I am comfortable with my decision, to have this surgery as I have had many problems with prolapse, I have had 6 UTIs this year, one progessed so far that I had to be hospitalized. I just want my life back. I am currently on antibiotics, I think I will talk with my regular dr. because I don't think he should refer other patients to him. As soon as I hear from customer service regarding their decision, I will get another gyn.

Barbara
Unread 04-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Jitters

Barbara,

I am so happy you are finding another Dr. Please let us know how your next visit goes. Hopefully you will find just the right Dr. for you!

Caren
Unread 04-27-2002, 09:33 PM
Jitters

Thanks so much for everyone's kind words and advice. I think I kind of flipped out when I left the Dr's office. I expected the recommendation of the HRT but not the way in he treated me and my concerns. I never even gave it any thought until I posted here that he didn't want to see me before the surgery to assess my current medical condition especially because he knew that I have had so many UTIs in the past few months. His attitude about pain management caught me off guard because even with the UTIs that progressed to my kidneys my regular dr. gave me pain meds.

I have read many posts and still am trying to find my around, but I wondered if anyone else has had problems with constant UTIs due to an uterine / bladder prolapse? My bladder is "hanging out" where its not supposed to...kind of like my teenagers LOL.
Unread 04-28-2002, 04:36 AM
Experience with my gyno

I met my gyno who will do my hyst for the first time last week. He thoroughly examined me. Discussed my options with me. Told me WHY I had to have a TAH instead of TVH <possiblity of many adhesions, endo, scar tissue...want to clean me ALL up>. When he introduced himself he gently shook my hand and then kissed it. He is east Indian. Very polite, compassionate. Did not make me feel rushed. I felt totally comfortable with him. I also have a strong family history of reproductive cancers. I wanted no more tests. I just want it OUT. I feel like I have a time bomb ticking away inside of me. Watched Mom go through so many painful test and procdures just to end up with TAH anyway. She has never felt better. She said "I never knew how truly bad I felt until after the surgery when I started feeling better". Follow your instincts!!!! Get a compassionate DR

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register