I am so glad I got a pessary | Options and Alternative Success Stories | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives > Options and Alternative Success Stories

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I am so glad I got a pessary I am so glad I got a pessary

Unread 09-13-2017, 08:54 PM
I am so glad I got a pessary

I have a cystocele, rectocele and prolapsed uterus. My Gyn suggested a pessary. I said I had not heard good things about them and he told me that he has a very happy group of pessary ladies. I agreed to try.
I went for my fitting about 6 weeks ago and then had to order it at a medical supply store as I am 65 years old and Medicare won't pay for the device.
I was a little bit worried as he said the best one for me was the cube. I thought it was the creepiest looking of all of them, but he is the expert, not me, so I went with his decision.
Four weeks ago I went in to have it placed. A bit uncomfortable, but maybe 2 seconds of ouch, so I was OK with it.
I realized as I was driving home that I was dribbling urine. Stopped and bought some panty liners and I was good.
I had a few accidents where I didn't make it to the bathroom in time, but they got fewer and fewer. I had a painful reaction to the panty liners and had to switch brands, but that is taken care of, too.
I am not having the terrible pressure that I had before the pessary. I have less back pain now. I was able to go hiking again. I am so thrilled.
Monday was my four week check. The pessary was removed and cleaned and put back. It seriously didn't want to come out. I had a few seconds of ouch and it was over. A few seconds as it was put back and it was done.
Now I get to go 8 weeks until I have to go back.
I am so glad I tried the pessary. I feel like I have been given my life back. I am active again and the bladder no longer dribbles. I don't notice the pessary at all.
I didn't want to have surgery and I am so glad I had this option.
If anyone is trying to avoid surgery and your Doctor recommends a pessary, you may really want to consider it.
My Doctor and I joke that I have the sport model 😀 because some of the other shapes would fall out on the trail when I am hiking.
You can't have sex with this one, but there are others that you can remove and replace easily on your own.
My husband has a medical condition and he frankly can't have sex any more, so I am OK with the one I have. It's probably why I am doing so much hiking and kayaking now 🤔

Anyway, it is a great option for me and it might be for you, too, even if it's just temporary until you decide to go ahead with surgery. It has given me back so much and taken away so much pain and discomfort.
🤗🤗❤️❤️
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-17-2017, 10:57 AM

I am not in need of a pessary but just wanted to say that it was awesome of you to post your positive experience, since pessaries are not exactly a popular choice and I've only heard negative things usually (about them being messy, etc). They're obviously not for everyone but if even one woman who's trying to avoid or at least postpone a hysterectomy sees your post and is helped by it, kudos to you!
Unread 09-17-2017, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbert View Post
I am not in need of a pessary but just wanted to say that it was awesome of you to post your positive experience, since pessaries are not exactly a popular choice and I've only heard negative things usually (about them being messy, etc). They're obviously not for everyone but if even one woman who's trying to avoid or at least postpone a hysterectomy sees your post and is helped by it, kudos to you!
Thank you ❤️
I have to admit that I was stunned when my Gyn suggested it, especially because he is a fairly young guy.
We talked about it because he said it was important for him to understand me and what I like to do. The more traditional looking pessaries, like the ring, would be more prone to fall out when I am hiking and the gelhorn type would stay in, but would move with strenuous hiking and I would be looking for bushes so that I could hide and push it back up.
I honestly think a good "getting to know you" chat is a huge part of getting the right pessary for your lifestyle. I just assumed the doctors all had a preference in what type they used and that's what you ended up with, but not so, at least not with my doctor.
Mine is not one that I can remove myself, so there is no mess or hassle. After my next appointment in 8 weeks, if everything is okay, I will be going in every 6 months for removal, cleaning and putting it back. So about 5 minutes every 6 months.
I may decide that I want the surgery at some point, but I am not giving up anything by taking advantage of the pessary. It has literally given me back my life . ❤️😊

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register