Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jul 31-Aug 06,2017 - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jul 31-Aug 06,2017 Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jul 31-Aug 06,2017

Unread 08-03-2017, 09:15 AM
Re: Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jul 31-Aug 06,2017

Thanks! I'm sure I'll get there. I really hoped one week would be enough for me to get rest and then start working again. I work from home, but I think I'll just stick to answering emails from my bed for week 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2017, 09:20 AM

I'm using a throw blanket under my belly because I'm a side sleeper. During the day it's most comfortable sitting up in bed with a belly bend and ice pack. I'm only taking one percoset in the morning, then the rest of the day its ibuprofen and ice. Getting up to pee is the hardest thing so far!
Unread 08-03-2017, 12:18 PM

My surgery was on Monday. I still have not had a BM but am passing gas. I took a mild laxative this morning and am dreading the first BM.

My pain is decreasing. I also have pain on my right side. However i do feel better than before I had surgery. I am using an ice pack and a square throw pillo for when i cough. I has laparoscopic hysterectomy. I did have cancer only in the uterus. They only took my uterus. They had planned on taking everything but the cervix but he said once he was in there everything looked clear so he left them.

The pain isn't as bad as do expected. However I do have trouble after using the bathroom it's hard to clean myself. My appetite is getting better. I do have a lot of.pain around my navel.

I went into this thinking I will take it day by day. That is working for me so I am not worrying about finances, going back to work, or housework. My main goal is to heal so this can be behind me.

Happy healing ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy dates Jul 31-Aug 06,2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clairey View Post
I'm using a throw blanket under my belly because I'm a side sleeper. During the day it's most comfortable sitting up in bed with a belly bend and ice pack. I'm only taking one percoset in the morning, then the rest of the day its ibuprofen and ice. Getting up to pee is the hardest thing so far!
Straightening up after sitting is difficult. Take a few minutes to straighten from hunched over. Lol. But I get there. Due to a blood clotting disorder I take blood thinners. Ibuprofen is not allowed, so im taking the pain meds right now. Hoping to cut back over the next 2 days as I can.
I need a pillow under my knees if I ask on my back any. I've always been a side or belly sleeper, so right now its just side.
Unread 08-03-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holliegolightly View Post
My surgery was on Monday. I still have not had a BM but am passing gas. I took a mild laxative this morning and am dreading the first BM.

My pain is decreasing. I also have pain on my right side. However i do feel better than before I had surgery. I am using an ice pack and a square throw pillo for when i cough. I has laparoscopic hysterectomy. I did have cancer only in the uterus. They only took my uterus. They had planned on taking everything but the cervix but he said once he was in there everything looked clear so he left them.

The pain isn't as bad as do expected. However I do have trouble after using the bathroom it's hard to clean myself. My appetite is getting better. I do have a lot of.pain around my navel.

I went into this thinking I will take it day by day. That is working for me so I am not worrying about finances, going back to work, or housework. My main goal is to heal so this can be behind me.

Happy healing ladies.
Absolutely. I keep telling people I've got no plans. Lol.
I need to rest as much as I can. I work at the university and classes start on the 5th of sep. Gotta be ready to go. So I need to take everything else easy.

I have not had a bm yet either. That should be fun.

PT
Unread 08-03-2017, 01:04 PM

Good afternoon my dear sweet ladies. I am excited to see more of you posting. Please keep joining us and letting us know how you are. This is the place to come with your questions, fears, concerns. We will laugh with you, cry with you, pray for you, and rejoice with you. When you feel like no one else understands, remember that we are here for you. Where else can you talk about your BM’s without having someone give you a weird look? It is so normal for the conversation today to be about Bathroom difficulties and gas after surgery. Here are some helpful hints that I have learned long the way. Please feel free to share what has helped you. Remember, we are on this journey together. Please, pretty please only use laxatives, suppositories, or enemas with the permission of your doctor. Doctors vary in their post op restrictions and right now your healing and recovery is your number one priority.

Bathroom Difficulties

Urinating: If you're having difficulty urinating, you may want to try blowing through a straw while trying to pee. For some reason it works and that way you won't "push" trying to get a stream initiated. The last thing you want to do is push! Running a quiet trickle of water in the sink also can be helpful.

BM: It's not too soon to start preparing for a BM. Constipation is a big concern after major surgery. Eat high fibre foods (pears, almonds, peas, bran, prune juice) and take stool softeners or a mild laxative (if approved by your doctor). I had my first BM at day 5... it was cause for a great celebration.

Gas pain: can be horrible. Mine settled in my shoulders and for a few days it was my chief complaint. Some sisters find relief by wetting a hand towel and microwaving it so it's warm (but not hot) and then placing it where you are feeling the most discomfort from gas. The moist heat will help to draw the gas out. Another idea is using a moist heating pad (which can be bought at most drugstores).
Keep taking it easy EASY ladies, drink plenty of water, take short frequent walks, and keep up with your pain meds. It is best to stay ahead of the pain, instead of playing catch up when the pain is on top of you.

5 Ways to Speed up Sluggish Bowels
10 Foods to Get Your Bowels Moving After Hysterectomy
Avoiding Constipation
Post op Prunes & Moving Dishes
Do This – Not That: Gas & Constipation
10 Tips for Managing Constipation

My love to you.
Unread 08-03-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubadoo33 View Post
Straightening up after sitting is difficult. Take a few minutes to straighten from hunched over. Lol. But I get there. Due to a blood clotting disorder I take blood thinners. Ibuprofen is not allowed, so im taking the pain meds right now. Hoping to cut back over the next 2 days as I can.
I need a pillow under my knees if I ask on my back any. I've always been a side or belly sleeper, so right now its just side.
I bought the binder and I'm able to sleep on my side, it is a life saver
Unread 08-03-2017, 01:44 PM

((Jojobee)) ((Casamaria65)) ((Scubadoo33)) ((thefirespiral)) ((pnut691)) ((holliegolightly)) and ((bdiddy)). I am so excited to see you on this side and that you are feeling well enough to post. One of the biggest things that helped me during recovery was to be with my sisters here. Please don’t be shy . . . jump right in and get to know your sisters here. Be sure to follow all of your post op restrictions (no pushing, no pulling, no bending, and no lifting over a gallon of milk), drink lots and lots, and walk around a bit every hour or so. Just a few days you were anxious about surgery and now it is all over and now you can concentrate on recovering and getting your life back.

Casamaria65 and pnut691 . . . it is so good to meet both of you. CO2 Gas pain and Intestional gas can definitely be hard. Walking often helps it to dissipate . . . moist heat can also be very helpful.

Casamaria65, thank you for sharing the tip about fennel and chamomile tea.

pnut691, I know it is hard when you are a side sleeper. Have you tried using lots of pillows (or a body pillow) to prop up your tummy? I also found it helpful to put a thin pillow between my knees . . . it can help with the pelvic pressure.

Scubadoo33 and thefirespiral . . . we are so glad to have you join us. We all have different tolerance levels for pain . . . the important thing is to keep your pain controlled. Try to stay ahead of your pain by taking your meds on time . . . it is hard to play catch up. It really is ok to take them when you need them.

Scubadoo33, I am sorry you are having trouble peeing. Keep drinking lots and lots of water. Our bladders are very temperamental . . . they don’t like the poking and prodding of surgery. It can take a bit for everything to get back in right working order. If you continue to have trouble, please call your doctor. If you can’t go at all, you need to go to the ER.

thefirespiral . . . have you already started on HRT? Though your doctor knows your medical history and what meds you are on, please don’t hesitate to talk with him/her about your concerns. All of us react differently to any type of meds, HRT included. This is also something you can discuss with your doctor.

holliegolightly and bdiddy . . . it is so good to see you on this side. I know that having the first BM (and a few after that) is a big concern of many. I hope the articles I just posted will help you through this time. We will celebrate with you when you make the big announcement. (I’ll do the dancing and you do the rest. )

holliegolightly, I am so sorry about your cancer diagnosis. Praying that no further treatment will be needed. Moving around a bit to do those necessary things (bathroom, etc) can be hard. Try using an icepack or heating pain when that pain hits.

bdiddy, it can take a bit for your first BM . . . try not to worry. A hot cup of coffee first thing in the morning was a big help to me. Keep drinking lots and walking around to help things along.

Love to each of you . . . remember you are not alone.
Unread 08-03-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabby View Post
I posted last night and I don't think it went through. I just got my catheter and packing out. The packing didn't feel good. I haven't passed any gas yet. I don't know if it's because the packing was impeding it from coming out. I only took one walk last night before bed. Pain has been more than I thought it'd be. Taking meds very regularly. My posterior repair feels throbbing inside.
It is good to see you Kabby . . . so glad you joined us and pasted again. I know you are happy to have your catheter and packing out. Have you been able to pass gas yet . . . did you ever dream you would want to so badly? . I'm glad you are taking your meds . . . it is important to stay ahead of your pain. Talk to your doctor about taking ibuprofen in between your pain meds when you go home . . . I found that very helpful with my repair soreness/pain. There are several things I found helpful while recovering from the repairs:

Personal wipes are more soothing than tissue
Peri bottle for personal cleansing
Witch hazel spray for soreness
Ice packs . . . I soaked pads and froze them
Sitz baths ONLY if approved by your doctor

Rest well dear.
Unread 08-03-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotland45 View Post
Hi! I had my surgery on August 1st. I spent one very uncomfortable night in the hospital. But they were great at controlling the pain and the nausea. Since I've been home I have been nauseous off and on so I may call them for something to help with that.
No BM yet but lots of gas thank goodness. Getting that gas out has helped a lot. No appetite at all. I force myself to eat a piece of toast occasionally.
I have most of my pain on the right side when I get up or back into bed. Hurts!
I'm also peeing almost hourly and that has really lessened the painful pee! I've been up walking around just because it feels better then getting back into bed.
Good news for me is no signs of cancer so that's an big relief!
. We are so glad you found us dear. I'm sorry you are dealing with nausea . . . have you tried peppermint tea? Please don't hesitate to call your doctor if you don't get relief. on forcing yourself to eat . . . you need the strength for healing. Protein shakes and smoothies would help you get enough protein. I know getting in and out of bed can be hard. Are you propping yourself up and using your elbows to push up and not your ab muscles . . . that may help?

on no signs of cancer . . . rejoicing with you.

. Love to you dear.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register