Does the Hospital order Bowel Prep? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does the Hospital order Bowel Prep? Does the Hospital order Bowel Prep?

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:48 AM
Does the Hospital order Bowel Prep?

Hi All,

My surgery is this coming Tuesday. My pre-op is Monday at 9am. I just hate this as I feel so uninformed!! Apparenty my Dr doesn't do much because really how much can he spring on me the day before! In any case I did call and ask about the bowel prep. The nurse said she would ask the Dr and call me back. When she called back she said it isn't something they do, nor had they heard of it (?) but when I leave their office I would be going straight across the street for the hospital pre-op to get a chest x-ray, ekg, blood work etc. She said she wasn't sure if the hospital required it but I would find out then. Ugh. So.....did anyone here have it ordered by the hospital? I just wanted to know as I was planning on working that day to wrap last minute things up. I can work from home, but according to you all I probably won't feel well enough to if I have that.

Thanks,
Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:54 AM

My doctor is the one who ordered my bowel prep. I only had to take 2 stool softners and a dose of Milk of Magnisia Tuesday night (surgery was Thursday morning)--none of the yucky liquid stuff others had to take. It seems to be doctor dependant. Some sisters said they didn't have any bowel prep. I would suggest eating lightly the day prior and you probably have the "nothing after midnight" phrase. I did work the day before my surgery and it helped keep my mind off it. I did feel like have a major cryfest on the way home.

Lots of prayers for you this week.
Unread 11-04-2007, 10:00 AM

Thanks Becky. I do want to work for the same reasons. Everyone keeps telling me I'm nuts, but busy is good for me. I am a very high energy person as it is!

Thanks for the prayers also ~ they mean alot!

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:02 AM

The nurse at my hospital pre-op told me that the doctor would order an enema. In fact, she called while I was there to make sure.

I'm pretty sure the hospital wouldn't order any procedures; that would be up to your doc.

I think it's pretty much up to each individual doctor. The type of surgery you're having may play a role too. I'm not sure about that.
Unread 11-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Doctor Ordered All My Tests

After my surgery was scheduled my doctor's office gave me a file folder of information including prescriptions, test orders, pre-op and post-op info along with a direct number for their surgical assistant contact person for questions (working hours only). I am having the laproscopic assisted hysterectomy in the morning with a bladder sling. I had a bladder test, an ekg, blood work, potassium tablets yesterday and today and the phoso soda with antibiotics. I guess all doctors are different. The packet of info was helpful but so is this website! Tomorrow morning at 8:00!
Unread 11-04-2007, 11:13 AM

Good Luck Sissel!! I'm right behnd you!

Hugs,
Starbgirl
Unread 11-04-2007, 12:21 PM

I had my pre op last month as they just did one for both D&C and the hysterectomy. I was never told of bowel prep so won't worry bout it but I will eat mild Tuesday. I am up in the air about working though.
I want to to keep busy but also want to go shop and just have fun since I won't be able to for awhile.
I was to take my son that night for final contacts fitting but he is being an *** and told me he is moving out so why should I buy contacts for him ( 16yo knowit all) I thought I would not drive to a city 2 xs in one day so just stop at walmart on way home. Still need a few things. I live in country with no stores.

ahhhhhhh will wake up Tues I guess and see how I feel
Unread 11-04-2007, 01:28 PM

I've never heard of a hospital ordering a bowel prep. It's up to the surgeon, if she wants you to have it. Your doctor/surgeon is in control of ordering what is needed for your care.

The hospital might have standard policies, such as pre-op EKGs if you're over 45, but that's about it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register