Scheduled For Dec. 19th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled For Dec. 19th Scheduled For Dec. 19th

Unread 11-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Scheduled For Dec. 19th

Received my surgery date this morning. I can't believe the nervousness I experienced when arranging the date! Even my hands were shaking
But at least it is scheduled, now doing more research on pre-op info. I have a doc appointment today to sign papers and receive my info packette. I was worried this was going to happen sooner, and I wouldn't have time to get all my holiday gifts and cleaning finished! With my surgery scheduled so close to Christmas, I am wondering if I will be ready for much company, or even small driving trips close to home? And a silly question, how many of you have actually cooked meals ahead of time and froze them so family won't starve?
Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Scheduled For Dec. 19th

Oh! Girl! you will do fine. (had my surgery on Feb. 25th) Just take care of what you can and the rest will take care of itself. I had a few casseroles done up ahead of time and that was nice for times when I was alone and just not up to cooking. This is a time to make yourself a priority. People will more than understand if gifts or something is a bit late (jeepers! will just make the holiday happiness last a bit longer) Just be careful and don't over do with getting ready for company after the surgery or rushing into a car for a bit of a ride! You are the priority!
Prayers and a smile,
Kettle
Unread 11-04-2005, 09:34 AM
Scheduled For Dec. 19th

Hi Liz,
Good to have the date set, right? It helps you to be able to plan ahead.
First of all, yes, I did make meals ahead and froze them. I made several soups, a casserole, and 2 dozen pizza burgers. I wish I had made more, but I had too much going on before my surgery (3 weddings and a funeral...no joke, it's the truth).
I had a TVH/BSO on Oct. 4th. Ten days later was my first outing (little drive with my girlfriend, she drove). I was tired for 2 days thereafter. There is no way I could have had company over a few days after surgery...unless I sat in the recliner all day, and everyone did everything for me. (and I mean EVERYTHING). I would not have been ready to go visiting that soon either. I wish I could say you would be able to do all this stuff for Christmas...but I don't think I would be doing you any favors by saying so. Please take care of yourself.
Hugs and God's blessings to you on an uneventful surgery and fast recovery!
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Scheduled For Dec. 19th

I have accepted as with everything in life, you can never be totally prepared.

You ARE your priority, and as with all of us, seems that we spend so much time looking out for everyone else, that we put ourselves on the back burner.

The house will survive, the family will not starve, heck thats why they invented dollar deals at Mcdonalds. ( I do have some soups frozen, and tv dinners that were on sale a whole stack of them).

pamper yourself as much as possible, it's such a new idea for most of us, that it's a hard habit to get into, pampering ourselves is those rare opportunities that happen when everything else falls into place and suddenly you find yourself with unexpected free time.

This time, you have to plan for pampering first, and work around your pamper time for everything else.

I have a list of things that need to get done on the refrigerator, and EVERYONE is responsible to get it done, some are "to do's" and some are "want to do's". Even my list of things have priorities.

Regardless, everything WILL FALL INTO PLACE!

You can't plan ahead on how you will feel, you will probably feel better than you expect, (seems to be the consensis on the post op posts),

Everyone WILL UNDERSTAND if you aren't up for all the holiday cheer

and remember above all else

"decide what your priorities are (YOU) and how much time you'll spend on them (YOU), if you don't, someone else will".

Great quote I found and put on my fridge, next to the "to do" list, to remind myself to take time for myself.

Congratulations on your surgery date, your light at the end of the tunnel!
Unread 11-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Scheduled For Dec. 19th

Hi Liz
Glad to hear you got your surgery date. It allows you to start planning.
PLAN on doing nothing for a couple weeks following your surgery date. That means no housework, no shopping, no cooking, no NOTHING. I was told, by my doctor and the nurses at the hospital that the HEAVIEST thing I was allowed to pick up for 2 weeks was my Starbucks coffee mug. I wasn't even allowed to pick up the kettle to make the tea to put in the mug.

Going out to visit will depend on how you feel. I was discharged on a Friday and went to my sister in law's for dinner on Sunday. I didn't drive and once I got there I didn't do anything involved with dinner. My SIL knew that I wasn't to lift anything and my niece was bringing me everything anyway.

Make all the meals you want, if there isn't anything in the fridge or freezer, that's what take out menus are for. I didn't premake very much. A neighbour made lasagna and I had a few things already in there (spaghetti sauce, soup etc) that is always in my freezer anyway.

I am lucky, I have no children at home and DH is a wonderful cook. I knew I wasn't going to starve.

Do your holiday shopping now, if you think it's important to deliver gifts on time. I would probably restrict gifts to small kids (who still believe in Santa) and leave the others until after the holidays. My aunt always laughs when she receives my holiday greetings card and yearly letter mid-January. She sends me an email and thanks me for extending the holiday spirit just a little longer. I also save some of my visiting for January and February because I always think of those months as the dreary months and these gifty visits are like a ray of sunshine.

As far as visitors once you get home, again, you are the only one that will be able to say yes or no. My parents were in town for the first week after my surgery (they live 5000 KM from me) and they were at the hospital every day and when I got home, they were here. Mom and DH took care of everything for me. I really didn't do anything. If your visitors EXPECT you to be the hostess then I would wait until at least week 6 to have them over. You know your friends better than we do so you will have to make the decision. Just remember that if you call one friend and have her over, and then she tells another friend that you have chosen to wait to have over, you may have a little problem.

Again, you are the best judge of how you feel. BUT remember, if you are feeling really good, don't overdo it. You only get one chance to heal properly and you don't want to take one step forward and 3 steps back.

Happy planning,
Autumn
Unread 11-04-2005, 11:07 AM
Dec 19th

Hi Liz,

I'm scheduled for the 19th, too!

I asked for this date on purpose, since I work at a college counseling center -- this will give me a longer "guilt free" time for recovery, as we'll be on break for a few weeks.

What I've decided, so far, is to tell my family not to plan to visit or see me through Christmas this year -- they live a full day long drive or a plane trip away, so that won't be much of an issue. I think I'll plan my family time for this summer, instead. In some ways, I'm thinking it might be a relief not to have to do the usual "busyness" around the holidays, and just feel okay about taking quiet time for myself. Of course, I don't have any kids, so this is probably easier for me than for some.

That being said, I'm VERY nervous about the whole idea of surgery, so I'm glad I have so much time to adjust to the idea, and fight with my insurance co. if I need to...

We already live on TV dinners at my house, so I figure they'll be easy to stock up on...
Unread 11-06-2005, 10:31 AM
Scheduled For Dec. 19th

That's great advice ladies! Only, I wish my family had my "best interests" in mind first. They don't though. I usually host Christmas Eve and this year all cannot come, so they've "bumped" it up to the 20th. (that's only 8 days after the surgery). I swear they're only thinking of themselves here. They said they will do everything, but to tell you the truth, I don't want them in all my "stuff", they're not the same housekeepers as me! It's gonna drive me and dh nuts!! At any rate, I told them I'd be going up to bed and they'd have to leave if I did. Unfortunately I think I may have to get a little aggressive. They're asking for it!
Unread 11-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Scheduled For Dec. 19th

hey Meatball,
Can you suggest it be at someone else's house, since "they are going to do everything"?
I certainly understand how you feel about 'your stuff'.
I hope you can work this out with the family. If all else fails, have dinner at a restaurant....

Autumn
Unread 11-07-2005, 05:49 PM
Scheduled For Dec. 19th

Dec 19 is my day too. I've got two teenage daughters, and they will be out for Christmas break then. I've already started pointing out to them all the things they will get to do for me - washing clothes, driving, dishes - it's great! I had C sections with both girls, and my doctor said that this should not be as bad - no cramps afterwards! I'm excited.
Patti - TAH
Unread 11-08-2005, 08:05 AM
Scheduled For Dec. 19th

Autumn...I know, but nobody else has a home large enough! I'll just have to cancel if I don't feel well. Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register