Scratchy Throat | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scratchy Throat Scratchy Throat

Unread 02-11-2006, 06:51 PM
Scratchy Throat

I'm scheduled for surgery on 2/21 but today I've developed a scratchy throat. I'm trying to doctor it but it doesn't seem to be going away. I know previous threads have said to call the doctor ASAP but do you think that is truly necessary? I go for Pre-Adm Tests at hospital on Monday do you think I should ask them while I'm there. I know others have said that if you don't have fever or any congestion it should be ok but I just can't stand the thought of this being cancelled on me! I think I would truly go beserk it that happened. I just want this over and done so I can move on with my life!!!!!! I figure I'll drink lots of orange juice and gargle with salt water and see if I can chase it away!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Scratchy Throat

I know what you mean about the fear of having the surgery cancelled. I was so afraid of catching something to stop mine.

I would stick with the salt water and the o.j. and would tell the doctor at your pre-op. Salt water usually takes care of my sore throat--if you are very agressive in using the salt water you may have it gone before Monday. Good luck.
Unread 02-11-2006, 07:54 PM
Scratchy Throat

I agree that you should tell your dr about your scratchy throat. Since you have pre op on Monday, that would be a good time to mention it. If you start feeling worse or running a fever I would call right away and not wait. I got the sniffles about 10 days before my hyst, my dr gave me meds that cleared it up and surgery proceeded as scheduled.

Best wishes, I hope that it all works our well for you.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2006, 10:17 PM
Scratchy Throat

hope you get rid of your sore throat i woke up after my tah with a sore throat from the tube they stick down your throat so try to clear it up so the tube wont go down a sore throat good luck
Unread 02-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Scratchy Throat

Sounds great what you are doing. I think our nerves get the best of us sometimes. I started getting my ds cold, and his was bad. So I started taking extra C and some zinc and that helped out some along with my daily multi vitamin. I do remember waking up from surgery and talking quite a bit, and the more I didnt talk the more throat got sore. Probably from the tubes and the cold working on me. I would take some cloraseptic spray in your bag with you just in case, it does wonders. I asked for some and it took the pharmacy 6 hours to get me a bottle. I was so upset. You would have thought it was a narcotic as long as it took! Just not something asked for too often.
Good luck and baby yourself,
Janice
TAH/BSO. endo, adhesions, scar tissue
Unread 02-12-2006, 06:34 AM
I'm Sick

Well, woke up this AM with a cold - my worst fear!! I'm hardly ever sick - last year I was only sick once - now I'm getting close to surgery (9 days away) and this happens. I'll just scream if this gets delayed - I don't think I can stand to wait another month.

Everyones advice is great but tomorrow I have my pre-admission tests at the hospital for blood, EKG,chest x-ray. I had my pre-op with doctor last Thursday so do I call the surgery coordinator tomorrow and tell her what is going on or ask them at the hospital. I'm sure this is stress related - my body is fighting me I'm sure of it. The body is just amazing how it does this stuff to us, huh?

I looked over my pre-op paperwork and I can't take vitamins - it said to stop them all 10 days prior so I shouldn't be taking vitamin C so that's not an option! Oh well, guess I'll have to wait till tomorrow to call doctor's office and hopefully they'll say to wait out the week and see what happens!!!
Unread 02-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Scratchy Throat

I had a scratchy throat on Friday morning, I went to the Dr and it just looked like a cold. By Saturday morning I was coughing up stuff, chest hurting really bad when I cough, and running a fever. I am feeling a lot better today, but I have no voice and I'm still coughing. My pre-op is Mon, surgery is Fri. If they don't cancel mine, it will be a surprise. I agree with the others, tell your Dr ASAP about your sratchy throat.

Oranges have vitamin C, they have not told you you can't eat them have they?
Unread 02-12-2006, 06:49 AM
Scratchy Throat

Good idea about the oranges! DUH!! Didn't think of that one! Hopefully I have some in the refrigerator since we are snowed in here - and don't have an orange juice left either but I can always walk to the 7-11 and get some later! Let me know what they do with you since you are a few days ahead of me surgery wise!! I'm just praying that I can get better but will probably have to resign myself to the fact that this is going to be delayed some more!!!!!
Unread 02-12-2006, 06:55 AM
Scratchy Throat

We are snowed in too... Virginia.

Do yourself a favor and get lots of rest, but if it starts getting into your chest you need to get up and move around a little to help clear it out.
I'll let you know what happens Monday afternoon. They have managed to scatter my appointments from 11:30 to 3:00
That is going to be one long day.

I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 02-12-2006, 06:59 AM
Scratchy Throat

Thanks! Keep me updated! I think I'm going to put some Vicks Vaborub on my chest to try to keep it out of there. My pre-adm tests are at 6:30 and then tomrrow we have to get my son to Philly Airport to fly to Orlando so he can help his sister move. His flight for this AM was cancelled. Another story but more Stress! Life is grand, isn't it?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register