Are bio identical hormones expensive? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Are bio identical hormones expensive? Are bio identical hormones expensive?

Unread 07-25-2009, 02:53 PM
Are bio identical hormones expensive?

Are the natural bio-identical hormones expensive? And where do you go to get them? Do I ask my GYN for a prescription? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Re: Started hormone therapy - wondering how soon it will work

Windyaa,
Unfortunately my insurance does not cover the hormones. I pay $90 to $100 a month for mine, but for me it has been well worth it. The hormones have changed my life. I just feel so good and so energetic.

You have to get the hormone Rx's from a doc who is knowlegeable about them. The OB/GYN who did my surgery was NOT a supporter of bio-identical hormones--a lot of docs are not. He said it was a quack science. I got the name of my new doc from my local Compounding Pharmacy, which is where the Rx's are filled. They gave me a list of docs who prescribe bio-identical hormones and I researched each before selecting one.

Good luck.

Candy
Unread 07-26-2009, 06:30 PM
Re: Are bio identical hormones expensive?

Hi Windyaa-

There are many bioidentical hormone formulations available with a prescription that don't have to be compounded and are likely to be covered by insurance - the Climara and Vivelle dot patches (generic versions as well), Femring, Divigel, Estrogel, Estrasorb lotion, Elestrin gel, Evamist spray, and Estrace tablets along with their generic form estradiol. Prometrium is a bioidentical progesterone, so are Prochieve and Crinone. They're all tested and FDA approved, so your Dr shouldn't have a problem prescribing any of them.

I am using the term "bioidentical" here as "chemically the same as human hormones". If you need a customized dose or a blend of different estrogens you have to get a prescription from your Dr and take it to a compounding pharmacy. Your insurance may or may not cover it. Mine doesn't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-26-2009, 06:41 PM

CMT55 and Sciencegeek, thank you for all the great info on these hormones. Boy, they don't make it easy for us do they. What happened to when things were simple in life.
Unread 07-26-2009, 08:35 PM

You can get an Estrace prescription filled at WalMart for $4/month. It's bio-identical, oral tablet.
Unread 07-27-2009, 01:26 PM

Hi Calypso, I'm now on Premarin vaginal cream. My GYN said it's natural because it comes from horse urine, which is natural. I do feel slightly better mentally.
Unread 07-27-2009, 02:42 PM

The premarin vaginal cream is only localized estrogen, not systemic (will not relieve major menopause symptoms, but will help with vaginal dryness/moisture). It is not bio-identical (identical to what the HUMAN body makes), but it is bio-identical for horses.

Glad it's helping you out. Different strokes for different folks!
Unread 07-27-2009, 03:22 PM

but my uro/gyn said it was natural. And he won't give me anything natural like Estrace I hear about. Some male doctors just don't get it. They don't know what it's like to be a menopausal women. Thats why I like female doctors.
thanks
Unread 07-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
The premarin vaginal cream is only localized estrogen, not systemic (will not relieve major menopause symptoms, but will help with vaginal dryness/moisture). It is not bio-identical (identical to what the HUMAN body makes), but it is bio-identical for horses.

Glad it's helping you out. Different strokes for different folks!
If you use a high enough dose of premarin cream it is systemic. I have used it and know from experience that it will do that.
Unread 07-27-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcatbak View Post
If you use a high enough dose of premarin cream it is systemic. I have used it and know from experience that it will do that.
For some perhaps, if the vaginal tissues are very thin it can happen. But it is not the norm.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register