bowel prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-14-2005, 12:16 PM
bowel prep

Does anyone have a good way to take the phopspsoda {sp}? I took my first dose and It was horrible!!!I barely got it down. I have to take the second half of the bottle in 3 hours
Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2005, 12:22 PM
bowel prep

One of the girls told me about getting a lil shot of lemon and taking that after you take a drink. Do not try and drink 7-up, sprite or sierra mist..that doesn't help. I wish I would've known about the shot of lemon when I had to take mine...makes me gag just thinking about that stuff.
My thoughts are with ya sister! Try the lil shot of lemon after you drink it, hopefully that will help.
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 08-14-2005, 12:40 PM
lemon?

thanks! the stuff tastes worse than tequila- maybe lemon is the trick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2005, 01:44 PM
bowel prep

I had to do the phosphosoda bowel prep for a colonoscopy. I mixed a little bit of gingerale in it. Swallowed it down like a shot. Two huge gulps and it was over. I didn't find it bad at all. Once I had to drink a whole gallon of stuff over 2 hours - golytely. It was such a horrible experience (vomitting and gagging), the phosphosoda was a relief.

Good luck. You've probably taken the 2nd dose by now. Prayers that all goes well with your surgery!
Unread 08-14-2005, 01:54 PM
bowel prep

I have to do bowel prep once a year for colonoscopy. I have passed this along to others, and they have said it worked well for them, as it does for myself.

Chill the phospho...in the freezer. Don't let it freeze, just get cold. Very cold. Do the same with a bit of 7 up. If you love 7 up that may be a mistake because as someone else here suggested, you may hate it after you use it for the prep.

Now, it is time to begin. Take the chilled 1 oz of phospho, pour half of it into a small bathroom dixie cup. fill the rest of the way with the 7 up. It will become a slush. Also have a bathroom dixie cup of rootbeer poured [ I will explain this later].

Take a big cleansing breath, plug your nose and guzzle the phospho slush. WITHOUT UNPLUGGING YOUR NOSE now take the rootbeer. Do not drink the rootbeer but gargle with it. Do not swallow it. As you spit it out, scrape your tongue with your teeth, to remove any of the sludge the phospho leaves behind. Unplug your nose.

All you will taste is the very different [than the phospho] taste of the root beer. I buy Barq's or IBC, as they both seem stronger in nature than the A&W.

You still have another half bottle of the phospho to drink. Give yourself a good 5 minute time out...go tell everyone you 'did it', feel successful that you will win this battle again...and go repeat the process.

I also have an iced wash cloth ready just to help get myself settled down a bit from my 'success'. Its a nasty business. It has to be done though. Get it over with.

The small bathroom Dixie cup tells your brain...that isn't that much...I can do that little bit. And believe me...every little bit helps.

Good luck.

You can do this.

~karen
Unread 08-14-2005, 02:45 PM
bowel prep

thanks guys!!!!
Unread 08-14-2005, 03:51 PM
bowel prep

I go in in the morning a 5:30 am [Momday My Birthday]. I just started my Colyte that came with different flavors.I using pineapple. It's 4 liters and I have to drink 8 onces every 10 mins. Drink it right down. I'm on my second glass now.I' sure by my next couple of glases I'll be sick. Best of luck Patty
Unread 08-14-2005, 04:14 PM
bowel prep

I have suggestions for those of you taking the phosphosoda prep or the go-lytely (gallon solution) prep. I am an endoscopy nurse so I have 19 years of patient stories and experiences to go by.
Gingerale seems to be the best soda to hide the taste of the phosphosoda in. I like the suggestion on the forum about the root beer chaser! Hadn't heard that one before.
As far as the gallon solution, yes it comes in many flavors. Most of my patients prefer (if one has to prefer such a thing) the lemon lime flavor or using the orange and pineapple flavors together. It will work best if you drink down your glass quickly and do not sip it over the alloted 5-10 minute time frame. You are allowed to have a cup of hot tea or weak black coffee in between glasses of prep solution. The warm solution will actually make it work better once you get half of it down.....it's the old "coffee kicked in" trick. The other thing that patients think helps is to suck on hard candy in between glasses. By hard candy, I mean the clear hard kind, like lifesavors, starlight mints, cinnamon discs, sour balls, etc. Not the white lifesavers!
Good luck to all of you prepping for your surgeries. Mine isn't for 4 more weeks but I am told all I will have to do is a fleets enema !
I am thinking I might be better off to do some laxatives also as far as gas and bowel movements go post-op. Any thoughts?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register