AAAHHHHH...I don't WANT a cath - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

AAAHHHHH...I don't WANT a cath AAAHHHHH...I don't WANT a cath

Unread 02-03-2007, 09:12 PM
AAAHHHHH...I don't WANT a cath

Like everyone else, I was also nervous about this. I'd never had one before and wasn't sure what to expect. I'm SO glad I had it!!! And Peanut is exactly correct, it feels just like removing a tampon when it's removed. The nurse drained the sac inside that held it in place and I had absolutely no pain when she pulled it out. It took her all of a second.

You have nothing to worry about. You'll be grateful not to have to get out of bed each time you need to go.

AmyBeth07, I think I would have asked for a female nurse after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2007, 09:24 PM
So now you'll think I am really nuts

I have a very, very, high tolerance for pain. The whole in and out thing, while I find it disgusting, doesn't really worry me. If it hurt like hec, but wasn't so gross, I think I'd be fine. For me, who is a freak about the bodily functions thing- it is the peeing into a BAG (or whatever) that grosses me out. To me, peeing is just PRIVATE.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHH....

From reading the posts, though, it sounds like getting up and down the day of the surgery will be a hassle. So, I must learn to bless the bag and the tube that put it there. (yuck)

Thanks for all the input. I was a little nervous about the getting it in and out- not for the pain, but the embarrassment, frankly. Sounds like a simple process- and thankfully fast.

Thanks all,
Jean (blessing my pee)

PS- Hey Boulderite- peace!
Unread 02-03-2007, 09:31 PM

Well, when they put the catheter it, I was unaware of that, and when it came out, it was just the nurse and me, I was able to mostly sit up while she gently removed the catheter, and I didn't find it embarrassing at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2007, 12:35 AM

How catheters became my friends:
With my second pregnancy (12 weeks along) I was having difficulty urinating & woke up unable to. Doc thought I had a urinary tract infection so prescribed antibiotics over the phone since we lived 1 1/2 hours outside of town.
I chugged lots of water and juice to 'flush' out the infection. Was in the bathroom all day every 10 minutes trying to pee, becoming increasingly uncomfortable, up all night, standing in the shower, laying in the bathtub, squatting over towels, begging God to be able to pee & just the tiniest trickle would come out, but the urgency just worsened. I could not lay down to rest because of the pain. So the next day we went to the emergency room, I was hyperventilating, in total agony. Turns out one of my fibroids was pushed against my urethra/bladder. Well, when they put that catheter in, they drained a LITER AND A HALF of pee out, & I have never been so relieved in my life!!! My bladder had stretched out to the point of 'overflow incontinence'. So I wore a catheter with a leg bag (sexy!) for a week. I even worked out on my stairmaster with it in, but I don't necessarily recommend that . Now I carry a little catheter that looks like a straw in my purse, just in case. My doc said "oh, people who are paralyzed self-catheterize all the time". I just wanted to say "they can't feel anything down there!!" This fibroid experience is part of the reason I've scheduled a hyst. You never realize how important it is to be able to pee until you can't!!
Most likely you'll be on pain meds when they put it in and take it out & you won't feel anything at all. I think they use lube (KY or something) & it goes in just a little over an inch.
That was the case with my c-sections & myomectomy.
Try not to worry about it & have a speedy no-stress recovery
Unread 02-04-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitneyB
I am having a LAVH on 2/19 and my DR told me that if I wanted it removed after the surgery they would...he said the main reason they use it while your there the first day or so is to keep you from having to get up as much, but he recommends getting rid of the cath asap so you can walk around and go to the bathroom on your own...hope he means it! You will be asleep when it is put in also and when it comes out it's not bad!
How many days were you told you would be in the hospital? I am having a LAVH on Thursday and they told me I would go home on Friday?
Unread 02-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Thanks!

I appreicate all the posts. I have to make this process my friend.

Be well everyone,
Jean
Unread 02-05-2007, 01:33 PM

I felt the same way you did. Had my surgery 1/31/07, woke up with a cath but didn't even notice it. I was freaked out over nothing. When they took it out it didn't hurt so don't be worried. I am the biggest baby when it comes to things like this and it was a BREEZE for me so you will be fine..
Unread 02-05-2007, 01:36 PM

Thanks Tammy. My problems are less associated with pain, than with the whole bodily functions thing. I am just extremely private about that stuff and thinking of having to urinate into a bag is anxiety producing for me. (and then have someone empty it- eeewwww)

I just have to remember it is my friend. I have a whole positive affirmation chant I created and I keep repeating it. It is helping....lol.

Thanks for your reply. I need to hear that this is a small bump in the road.

Be well,
Jean
Unread 02-05-2007, 01:40 PM

You won't be urinating into a bag as if you were on the toilet; the urine will just flow from you into the tube, and you won't be aware of that most of the time. When the tube to my bag got a kink in it, I did have the sensation of having a full bladder, but once the kink was taken out, everything flowed, it's not as though I had to try to pee, if you know what I mean. The bag was hanging off the side of the bed, and I almost never saw it.
Unread 02-05-2007, 03:20 PM

Okay....so if I am understanding you correctly, it is really more of an involuntary function? And the bag is out of my sight at least? LOL....geez, I am such a goober. I really need to grow up- someone somewhere put the fear of God into me about privacy in these matters. LOL....

Thanks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register