When do the stitches dissolve? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When do the stitches dissolve? When do the stitches dissolve?

Unread 08-24-2005, 12:01 AM
When do the stitches dissolve?

When are the stitches around the vaginal cuff suppose to dissolve? I am 5 1/2 weeks out and I have had no sign any discharge or anything that would indicate the stiches have dissolved yet. Shouldn't I have a discharge or something when they "come out"? Can anyone clue me in what to expect and should they have already dissolved by now?
Thanks in advance, ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2005, 05:15 AM

hi mrs joe, i wanted to know that myself. i go in to the dr's today for my check up and will find out. i heard it takes a long time do to the location. My appt is at 4:30pm so i will post when i return to let you know. unless another "sister" knows off hand.
Unread 08-24-2005, 06:37 AM

I had some stiches come out around weeks 7 and I went to the doctor yesterday and she said the remaining stiches were just sitting on the cuff - she wiped them away. I am 8 weeks today. I think I was a slow healer - because my doctor told me at my 5 week appt that thinks looked 'raw' to wait on any activities until 8 weeks. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2005, 06:38 AM
Stiches

Hi went to my 4 week check up and my GYN said that mystiches in the vag calf wore gone I never saw any.
Unread 08-24-2005, 06:39 AM

Hi MrsJoe-My hysterectomy was 7/11 and within 2 weeks or so, I found red tissue with what looked like fishing line attached to it when I urinated. This happened several times. Mine was a vaginal hyster with a bladder sling and 1 ovary removal. I had read that about 5-6 weeks women were leaking brown fluid like stuff and they were saying it was dried blood from the cuff. But Monday 7/22 I was 6 weeks out and I am all done with discharges. I go to the dr tomorrow for my "so called 4 week check Up", doc is a bit behind. There are questions on the post op site here where women were talking about the cuff. Just look for the vaginal cuff. I'm sure everything is ok. But call the dr if you have questions. Everyone's body is different and we all heal differently.
Cindy
Unread 08-24-2005, 09:27 AM

Just thought I would add my two cents worth. I had TAH on July 11th and after the 2nd day post op I had very little discharge and never had any bleeding. My discharge was light yellow and lasted for about 3 weeks but was hardly enough to even mention. Had my 6 week check up last week and the doctor said my vaginal cuff is completely healed and things are good. I never did see any stitches or anything like that. I guess sometimes they just dissolve without us realizing it.
Unread 08-24-2005, 10:40 AM

My Dr. removed mine after 7 weeks post op. Since I was still bleeding he said it should help me heal a little faster, my stitches were blue in color.
Unread 08-24-2005, 10:19 PM

Hi MrsJoe,
I am 3 months post op. I had a TAH BSO on May 17th.
After 7 weeks, I had to go back to the doctor because of bleeding after sex and she told me that my vagina cuff had not completely healed and I had scar tissue growing over my stitches and the stitches have not completely dissolved. So another month of not having sex! Next time if I bleed again, I go back to see my obgyn maybe for silver nitrate treatment for granulation.
Beet
Unread 08-24-2005, 10:26 PM

Hi! I am over 8 weeks post op and never did see any stitches and believe me...I looked for them! I did bleed for the first 4 weeks and then occasionally for a couple of weeks after that but never were there any stitches. I guess some of us had them completely dissolve and others got to see the cute little things!
Unread 08-24-2005, 10:29 PM

MrsJoe, I was six weeks postop yesterday, and I've barely seen any stitches. My first "official" stitch finding was just today! However, I was examined last week and my dr said many of the stitches had dissolved (from the little diagram he drew me, it looked like maybe half). And he has told be that they are usually pretty much gone by 6 weeks.

The discharge sounds pretty normal. From what I've read, the range of types, color, amount of discharge varies widely from one person to another. If your dr says you're progressing along normally, that's all that matters. Hoping everyone's feedback helps, and give you some peace of mind!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register