will pms continue after surgery (leaving ovaries)? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

will pms continue after surgery (leaving ovaries)? will pms continue after surgery (leaving ovaries)?

Unread 02-12-2004, 05:55 PM
will pms continue after surgery (leaving ovaries)?

I currently get migraine headaches the whole week before my period begins. I am considering hysterectomy to treat fibroids (my ovaries will not be removed). Can anyone comment on if their pre-menstrual symptoms continued after a similar surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2004, 06:26 PM

Well, I cannot answer that question for you, my surgery hasn't taken place yet. But it is a very good question..one that never crossed my mind, but I too suffer from bad migraines. I hope someone can answer that for you.....and me now as well.
Unread 02-12-2004, 06:31 PM

Most women who keep their ovaries will continue to have hormonal cycles, with all the good (and bad) that goes with it. On occasion, the ovaries will "fail" after a hyst, due to interrupted blood supply.

If you have any question, you should ask your doc, but many are reluctant to take healthy ovaries, especially in women under 40 or 45.

Dorrie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2004, 08:49 PM

i have 1 ovary and i get pms every other month.I still know when i am ovulating and when it is time for a "period".i too was hoping this would end but it has been 3 years since my surgery and i still have it. FUN!!!
Unread 02-12-2004, 11:04 PM
pms?

Yes, I'm 8 weeks out from my TVH and I have had two pms migraine headaches. When I had my first, I also had hot flashes, night sweats, depression, and irratability (menopause symptoms). Boy was that not fun. Either give me menopause or pms, not both and certainly not at the same time! Not fair! Fortunately, the menopause symptoms are lifting. Wish I could say the same about the migraines.
Unread 02-13-2004, 05:09 AM

I too suffered with horrible migraines for years right at the beginning of my period. The "lay down..throw up...don't turn the lights on" kind of headache. It was horrible. It took me 3 years to find a medication to help w/them...but they were still bad.

I am proud to say that I have NOT had ONE headache since my surgery 12/29/03. Its been a true miracle! I had both of my ovaries removed so I can't comment the other way. I just know I have NO regrets about anything.

I hope it all works out for you.
OH75
Unread 02-23-2004, 06:48 PM

topping up
Unread 02-24-2004, 07:44 AM
Re: will pms continue after surgery (leaving ovaries)?

Hi Tessa and vll69 I had my TVH on 1-19-04 kept ovaries and Aunty Flo was due to arrive on 2-3-04 I had the normal P.M.S. symptons - grouchy, breast tenderness, nerveous, but NOOOOOOOOO migrain! I noticed that my hormones that day was like a roller-coaster but they have since seemed to adjust to the new me. I can even tell now when I'am ovulating for my next "phantom" period. You will most definantly see some changes at first but nothing out of the norm. Best Wishes to you both on your up and coming surgeries. I hope they are uneventual and that you both have speedy recoveries and a healthier life.
Unread 02-24-2004, 09:03 AM

My tvh was Jan 5 and I kept my ovaries. I usually had a migraine toward the end of my period. The week of what should have been my first period after my surgery, I had a headache and did end up taking an Imitrex for it. But it wasn't as bad or didn't last as long as the pre-surgery ones used to. Should be heading into my second period time this week, so we'll see what happens.

I've read where these symptoms lessen as time gone on. Think I could handle that!!

Good luck ladies!!!

Blessings,
Unread 02-24-2004, 11:19 AM

I never had migrane as a PMS symptom, but did get breast tenderness, irritability, forgetfulness etc. Had a TAH on 01/05/04 (kept ovaries) and would have had 2 periods since then. No symptoms (yippee!!) apart from a couple of zits. Good luck with your surgery, let us know how you get on on post-op side.

Kate

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register