New yet old!/Anemia questions | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New yet old!/Anemia questions New yet old!/Anemia questions

Unread 02-20-2004, 02:21 PM
New yet old!/Anemia questions

Well, I was told I was probably going to need a hysterectomy for fibroids about 2 years ago, and managed to dodge the bullet this long! I was unable to urinate last week and ended up at the hospital with a catheter. As part of the normal blood work-up, they discovered I was quite anemic, and admitted me to the hospital. Apparently, my fibroids have grown quite a bit...pressing on the bladder, causing my periods to be extremely heavy, etc. I think I am at a point where I am going to HAVE to have surgery to be able to get on with life....scared to death (I see that as a common trend here!) and hopeful it's all going to be over with quickly! I am currently taking iron pills to try to kick-start my hemoglobin, as they need my blood levels to be up before they do surgery. Anyone else with any experience with being anemic?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2004, 04:13 PM

Hi,

Boy does this story sound familiar. I was told 5 years ago that I had fibroids. My periods have been getting progessivly worse. In November I nearly passed out in my car while driving (from the pain). The doctor raised her eyebrows when I told her that I was going through an over night maxi and a super tampon in about an hour. She checked my iron and in the time it took me to get home (about 30 minutes) she had called me to come back because I am "severely anemic". I had no clue. Since then though, I have learned that the anemia may have been the cause of my heart racing and being completely breathless doing one flight of stairs. I was so tired that I spent most of the day on the couch. Couldn't for the life of me figure out what was wrong with me and being anemic didn't occur to me. The good news is that since the first part of January I have been on iron 65 mg 3x a day and I feel much better. I know that some people have trouble with taking iron. I take mine with meals and also take a stool softener with each one. No trouble at all. A friend told me that you shouldn't take it with Coke/Pepsi because your body can't absorb it. I don't know if that's true or not.

Did they give you a surgery date and do you know what kind? I'm scheduled for LAVH on March 23. Hope this helped. I've had some really great information from this sight.

Take care,
Debbie
Unread 02-21-2004, 09:01 AM

Hi, Debbie!

I have no clue when my surgery will be scheduled. I know the Drs have all told me I need to bring up my hemoglobin count first (on the scale where it is measured, I was 5.9 when in the hospital, and I guess normal is around 12). I am currently taking iron pills 3 times a day, plus just got a new prescription from primary care dr for folic acid to add to the joy! I have to see the hemotology dr this week and I am imagining he will do another blood draw to see where I am at. I also have a terrible, awful needle phobia so none of this is easy for me at all. Any ideas on how to get past a needle phobia??? I am thinking as far as surgery, it will probably be sometime in April(??). I also wish I had a gynocologist I had been seeing for years...I don't...and I am hoping I can become comfortable with the one who was kind of "assigned" to me when I was in the hospital.

Thanks for the advice on not taking the iron with Pepsi/Coke...I had never heard that before. I am not having any trouble with taking the iron..yet..and hope to be okay and kick-start my levels with the supplements.

Take care,
Donna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2004, 12:44 PM

Hi Donna,

I wish I could help you with your needle phobia. I'm the last person that you want to ask on that one. I'm a fainter so I lay down when they draw me. My veins are also pretty hard to get. My DH never understood until he went with me one day and watched them stick me over and over and over..... Now when I go in I tell them that a butterfly needle in the top of the hand works best for me. The needle is much smaller and they get it the first try. I can sympathize with the gynecologist too (not kidding when I said we had a lot in common!). We're military and we usually see a different doc each time. My gyn that I was referred to will be on the surgical team but the lead on the team is a urogynecologist. I was happy that my gyn is a woman and I feel very comfortable with her. One more thing... when they checked my iron last week it was starting to come back up. Hang in there.

HUGS!!
Debbie
Unread 02-21-2004, 01:15 PM

Have been anemic several times in my life because of heavy bleeding during periods. It's fairly easy to treat, just takes time. The needle thing, I have the same problem. I have to lay down, tell the tech not to rub my arm (it makes me sick to my stomach), and do not tell me when you're going to stick me, just do it. I don't watch and I find something to grab with my free hand (usually side rail of gurney). My DH found out that he shouldn't offer his hand, about broke his thumb.

Not only do I hate the needles so do my veins, they hide, roll and just disappear. Another hint that helped once when they had problems, the tech got a bag that's squeezed and warms up and put it me. It's for infant's heel sticks, but it worked since I get extremely cold after a failed attempt.
Unread 02-21-2004, 04:51 PM

i was anemic for three years! i forgot at the time what it was like to feel healthy and energetic...which i am both now. i took 325mg of iron a day per my doctor and had a hemoglobin test each week. so here's the best advice i got from a lab tec....ask for a "butterfly" you wont even feel it when they go in. it's a tiny thin needle that's very short and has a piece of plastic shaped like a butterfly with a tube attached. the lady that did one of my tests would punch me like i was a critter or something and i thought i would faint when she came towards me. no one messes up with the butterfly so ask for it. you'll be glad you did. good luck and get well soon:-)
Unread 02-24-2004, 01:26 PM

Thanks to everyone for your replies! Tomorrow I go off to the hemotologist to see where my iron levels are at now, 10 days of iron therapy. Then the week after next I have the gyno appointment and we will see what happens from there. Right now, I feel like I am in total limbo...I am depressed one minute, crying, thinking I don't want a hysterectomy... the next I am thinking, I just want to get it *over* with, get this out of me, it's hurting me, not helping me!

Thanks again for being here, ladies, I'm glad to be able to talk about some of this with those that actually *understand* what I am talking about!

Take care,
Donna
Unread 02-24-2004, 01:48 PM

I too have been anemic for years. Our stories are similar as I finally went to see a doc when I wet my pants at Target because I lost control of my bladder (I am only 36---a bit to young for that to happen). My Fybroid was HUGE and sitting on top of it!

I had my TAH on 2/9. I also have trouble w/ needles and they ALWAYS have a hard time finding my veins. I was stuck a bunch of times in hospital. In fact in OR the anastlogist (spelling?) had a hard time--and he was shocked. I agree w/ asking for a butterfly needle---it works! Trust me!

Best of Luck----

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register