Pre-Op Testing Advice? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Testing Advice? Pre-Op Testing Advice?

Unread 02-24-2004, 10:06 AM
Pre-Op Testing Advice?

Could someone report on what the pre-op hospital visit is like?
Anything to prepare for or watch out for?

I heard that it's good to ask for a bone-density scan to have as a baseline for later - ??

When I went to the hospital once for tests in the past, the staff processed people as if we were objects on an assembly line and I didn't know what options I had or what questions to ask. It made me more nervous than I already was.

thx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2004, 10:20 AM
cat_nb

My pre op testing only consisted of Blood work, and weight. I had a nurse to talk to, and they were really preparing their paperwork for the day of surgery!

Best of Luck!

Tonya
Unread 02-24-2004, 10:49 AM
Pre-Op Testing Advice?

Hi,
My pre-op testing consisted of blood work, urine, chest x-ray, ekg,weight, blood pressure, and registration for admission to hospital insurance stuff,etc. this was all related for hysterectomy.

Then for my bladder sling procedure, the most embaressing test of all was called urodynamics where they put catheter in, probe in and around the rectum. they fill your bladder to measure compacity, the urgency and make you cough or strain like going to bathroom to messure incontinence levels and muscle control all while sitting on a commode.

So I this gives you confidence if I can do it you can do it!!
Good lucK!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2004, 11:02 AM
Pre-Op Testing Advice?

I will be going in for my pr-ops today or tomorrow, so can't help you there yet. But from my reading I think the Bone density test is a good idea if you're getting your ovaries out, so you have a baseline for the calcium loss. good luck
Unread 02-24-2004, 11:46 AM
Pre-Op Testing Advice?

For my D&C/Lap, I had a chest x-ray, ekg (because I am over 40), and blood work. They nurse also discussed various aspects of the surgery with me, letting me know what to expect, etc. I also had to visit my family doctor to get a "clearance" for surgery, as I had not seen her for 30 days.

For my upcoming hysterectomy, I have been told that I will need blood work again, but that the chest x-ray & ekg are "good" for 6 months. I will again have to see my family doc as there will be more than 30 days since she gave me the previous clearance.

Good luck everyone!
Unread 02-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Pre-Op Testing Advice?

I think it really depends on your lab. My pre--op work was done at the hospital. I had lots of insurance paperwork, blood tests and urinalysis. No x-rays, no bone density, no EKG (even though I'm 53.)

But then, the nurse walked me through the day of surgery. When to show up, where I was to go, what to expect, what to bring (and not bring). When I would meet the anethesiologist, the catheter procedures, when my DH would be allowed to see me after surgery, what floor my room would be on. And then she let me ask any and all questions I still had. Overall, the process took about 90 minutes.

Deb
Unread 02-24-2004, 12:14 PM
Pre-Op Testing Advice?

Pre-op tests consisted of blood work and a preggers test.

They also went a ton of questions about my general health for the anestheologist (sp?).

One thing I wish I had asked about was taking pain meds. I really needed to take something for a headache the day before my surgery and wasn't sure what I could take or if I should take anything.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register