TAH after c-sections | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH after c-sections TAH after c-sections

Unread 01-27-2005, 08:11 PM
TAH after c-sections

Hi! Iam a brand new member and am having a TAH February 8th. I was diagnosed recently with adenomyosis and after trying several different things for relief, my doc and I decided a hysterectomy is the best option. I have had 2 c-sections and I'm wondering if the recovery from the TAH is easier or more difficult than from a section. My first section was an emergency so I have the lovely up and down incision - the doc says he'll use that same incision for my hysterectomy.
If anyone has any insight or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Everyone I speak to about it has never had a c-section but they all seem to think it is harder to recover from a hysterectomy. I am getting pretty nervous!
Thanks,
AuntJill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2005, 09:43 PM
TAH after c-sections

Hi AuntJill! I had a c-section in 96 & just had my TAH Dec. 28th. A c-section in no way compares to having a hysterectomy in my opinion. The healing time takes much longer. I am almost at my 5 week mark & my stomach is still tender, I get twinges that remind me to slow down, I still battle with the gas & BM(these are getting better), & I tire very easily. A trip to the grocery store wipes me out. I am getting my energy back, but it is slow coming. Each day I am feeling better & can do more. But I know there are still limits & not to over do it. With a hysterectomy you are having parts of your body removed & there are alot of internal stiches that take time to heal. I was hoping myself that this surgery would be like my c-section, but I was just fooling myself. I am taking it easy & my recovery is moving along just fine. Please do not let this scare you, you will do fine with your surgery. You will be up & about before you know it!

Janet
Unread 01-27-2005, 10:39 PM
TAH after c-sections

Hi AuntJill,

I've had 2 c-sections and a TAH/LSO. Both my sections were...um, lower transverse? I'm not sure that's the term but whatever, I had two "bikini cuts." I'd THOUGHT, going into my hyst surgery, that the recovery would be similar what I went through with my sections. It is, and it isn't.

The pain I had in the hospital after my hyst was much more severe than I remember having after my sections. And it's been much more difficult at home too. I'm now eight days post op and while the pain is remarkably better than it was a week ago, I'm still moving very slowly and have absolutely NO stamina.

It wasn't a whole lot better after having a baby, but I think the fact of HAVING a new baby to love and cuddle and care for eclipsed the physical discomforts of healing.

This time around, it's the emotional pain that's getting to me the worst. DH and I had agreed we were done having children, but the loss of fertility...knowing there is NO possibility that I will ever get pregnant with even an "oops" baby...it's really hitting me hard. I guess you could say I'm in mourning in a way. Of course, I also cried for two hours last night over some homemade cookies my DH sent home with his sister without asking if I wanted them, so it's obvious to me that I'm not entirely rational emotion-wise.

I wish I could tell you it's a piece of cake and you'll fly through the recovery period. Maybe you will. We are all different and this is just my experience.

However it goes for you, just try to remember that you WILL heal, physically and mentally, and you WILL feel like your regular old self (and hopefully even BETTER) eventually. The recovery is something you have to get through, and you WILL get through it. That thought is what's helped keep me going when I'm at one of my emotional low points.

I wish an easy surgery and gentle, speedy recovery for you, with much relief once you've healed.

Sending lots of hugs,
Meri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-27-2005, 11:15 PM
TAH after c-sections

Jill,

First of all....

Second of all...one thing you will discover here is everyone's experiences are different, for the same surgery. I can't explain it, but it's true.

Even without any complications, everyone's road seems to be unique. It's almost like each hysterectomy story is it's own chapter on this site.

OK, that being said, I know going into my hysterectomy (I had a TAH for the same reasons as you) on 12/28/04. So I'm between 4-5 weeks post op, and I had 2 previous C-Sections...the last one 15 years ago.

I am 50 years old have no "little children" to look after, just a hubby, a teenage daughter and 4 dogs and 4 cats...and a bird. I am also quite "fluffy" as we like to put it on this site (also known as I shop at Lane Bryant and my size is above a 20)....so I have a belly. My incision is vertical (up and down) and my doc used that same incision for my hyst also.

I figured, being older, being anemic going into the surgery from the monthly blood loss and not being in the best shape, etc...I was doomed. Not so.

I had the hyst, that day and night is kind of a blur. I was on a morphine pump, which is where they pump morphine into your IV for pain, and you can push the button if you feel you need more. They say I never pushed the button. I do remember once feeling nauseated a bit and they gave me a shot for that.

They started lowering the dose that evening and I started "coming to" more but was still pain free. I had an catheter, oxygen and an IV. They gave me IV antibiotics as a precaution.

The next day, I was awake and they wanted me to get up. That was my biggest dred because I remember from my C-Sections being in pain and getting up was murder. Not so with my hyst....the morphine was enough to help me get up and moving, then I was switched to oral pain meds, (vidodin and ibuprofen combo) and I was fine on that.

I mean post surgery is post surgery, but I did get up and use the toilet and walk the halls as much as I could and slept on an off.

I went home the next morning. I had been so worried about climbing the stairs up to my bedroom, etc....and I did fine, I just did it slow and all was well.

I planned to spend alot of time on the second floor of my house, in my comfy chair in my bedroom reading, watching movies, etc. I did that for 1 day then I went stir crazy and found myself taking a shower, dressing then going downstairs (main floor) for the bulk of the day then one trip upstairs.

I did take a pain med around 10pm, and I did sleep in my comfy chair for a few nights, only because the thought of crawling into my waterbed (which is lower than most beds) I didn't think was a good idea for my staples (I went home with staples in my belly).

I personally found the healing significantly easier than I expected and at least equivilant if not better than from my C-Sections. Mostly because with my C-Sections I did not have a morphine pump, but rather shots of Demerol which depending on whether they were "wearing off" when you had to get UP, etc...I was in much more discomfort.

Also with this, I personally had no little one to care for when I got home. So I could rest when I needed to, etc. I'm sure that factors in also.

Everyone at the hospital will be very concerned about you moving your bowels and I had no trouble with that either. Once I got home and went back to regular food (salads, soup, etc)...the bowels moved.

I had my surgery on Tuesday, was home on Thursday and making soup (chopping veggies, doing a few dishes etc on Sunday. So I was a lucky one I guess.:-).

I get tired more easily and being able to rest when you need to will be important. That is the most important thing you need to be prepared for I think.

Meaning, I didn't prepare a whole lot before hand in terms of meal because I knew that I had a hubby that if I said, listen I was too pooped to cook, would go out and get Subway, or we could scramble some eggs and make toast and have dinner.

I was discharged from the hospital, with instructions not to lift, nothing in the vagina (i.e. no intercourse), no driving, and to rest as necessary.

At two weeks I was cleared to drive...as long as I wasn't taking any (narcotic) pain meds. I didn't want to walk the malls or anything, but I could run to the grocery store and pick up milk and bread and come home.

As you will read from the replies that you get, everyone is different. The one thing I will say that does seem to be universal is getting "wiped out" and needing a nap. I think you will find that to be true for all of us.

I know my surgery was a bit rough for the doc, because of previous adhesions from the C-Sections. You may have those too.

I had a bit of my incision that wouldn't heal (under my belly) but I was able to finally get it to heal. That's been my only real complication.

And I've found I "do" too much, then am wiped out for 2 days. So I am learning more balance.

If I were to give you advice, be prepared and educated. Know what to mostly expect and plan for it. Pillows are a big help in keeping comfortable.
Know the complications that can happen and the signs for them (infection, constipation, etc).

But, plan on eating as healthy as you can, getting as much rest as you can, and hopefully you too can have an uneventful recovery. :-).

I think I was very surprised with my hyst. Since it was 15 years ago, I probably don't remember my C-Sections all that well, but I know I was in alot more pain with them than this...and with caring for a baby, I was just really wiped out even though I was younger. But I had a real horrible marriage at the time too and I'm sure stress took it's toll then also. I'm married to a great guy now, and he was very caring and helpful, that helps too to relieve the stress.

Like I said, everyone's situation is different. Best of luck, but don't be afraid. Knowledge of what kind of pain meds you'll recieve and anticipate soreness and discomfort but not PAIN PAIN. I get twinges now and then but mosty I just itch where the pubic hair is growing back in UGH...etc.

I hope your recovery goes as mine did.

Peace
Nancy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register