Hello | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Hello

I had my vh leaving the ovaries on Feb16th.I just turned 51.I feel fine physically but mentally I'm a wreck lol.I cry at nothing,night sweats,hot flashes,not much of appetite.I do have some bm problems.I feels afte I go that somethings going to come out aliitle.Is this normal.Thanks for the site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Hello

Hi deb2u
Welcome to Hystersisters! I'm sorry you're struggling with your emotions like this. I am 52, but was 51 when I had my surgery too. I kept my ovaries, but went through some similar things as what you are experiencing. For me they got a lot better in a few weeks, but I found I was still in that perimenopausal stage as far as hormones go.
It isn't unusual for your ovaries to go into shock after surgery and to take some time to kick in and start doing their job, so this could be what you're experiencing right now. I would give it some time to see what will happen naturally. If you continue to have problems ask your dr to check your hormone levels to see if your ovaries are still producing estrogen. I did start some bioidentical hormones. They have helped balance me out. Because my ovaries are still there I have fluctuations still, but over all I feel better taking them.
For your bowels I would suggest you really work at getting more fiber into your diet so you can tell better what you're dealing with here.
You are so very early post op, please remember that you have swelling still and its hard to say what you might be feeling. Are you taking any type of stool softener? I took one for several months to help in this area. If you're taking much pain medication they can contribute to constipation too.
If you get things moving better and once you have healed some more you can see if you are still feeling this sensation that something is falling. If it seems severe right now go ahead and call and ask your dr about it. There is the possibility you have a prolapse. I wouldn't worry too much yet since you are so early,but be sure to mention it to your dr when you go in so he/she can be aware there might be a problem.
I hope you are resting and not doing too much. Your body needs time to heal. Drink lots of water and walk around the house as you feel up to it. Let us know how you do.
's,Rita
Unread 02-25-2006, 08:37 AM
Hello

Thank you very much.That helps. I'm not doing much .Resting ,Walking,Did go to Wal-mart for a few minutes with husband to get out of house because I feel like I'm going stir crazy.Just got scared that something was going on again. Reading the messages has helped .I just hadn't seen anything asking about what I was feeling. I go back to my doctor March 8th and I will talk to him about things.Hope I last that long emotionally. Thanks a lot Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2006, 08:47 AM
Hello

deb2u....I am 52 and had TAH/BSO. Physically I feel every day is a better day but mentally...wow. I'm not on any HRT yet but think I'm going to have to get something. I feel sad a lot, cry way to much, night sweats, can't sleep, bm difficulty and am starting to stress about returning to work...very demanding. I get up telling self this is a good day and later fall apart. Today is a good day...beautiful sunny winter day and feeling pretty good. When I read some of the problems others are experiencing, I feel fortunate my recovery is going pretty normal. Chin up (I tell myself this constantly now) and things will get better.
Unread 02-25-2006, 08:49 AM
Hello

im 49 4 weeks post op kept ovaries and like u deb felt rotten for first 3 weeks bms still alittle hard work and hopefully the down in dumps feeling does pass body has a big shock but things get easier we arejust adjusting too these things that have gone on in our bodies glad too be rid of huge fibriods may need hormones later but will wait and see if i can get back too normal without them good luck mary x
Unread 02-25-2006, 09:04 AM
Hello

I had my surgery the same day as you.( I'm 47, kept my ovaries) I do the crying thing also I can walk across the floor and just start crying, It goes as quick as it comes. It comes on me for no reason and leaves the same way. The've all kind of got use to it around here. I still do it some but not as often it is getting better ; but not gone. I also lost my appetite for about two weeks that to returned very quick. I would eat fruit in individual containers. My brain, along with my emotions have been all over the place.
((((We're settling back down now))))
Now If I could just get my outside my body parts to go back where they belong I would be really happy.
Good Luck
Unread 02-25-2006, 09:09 AM
Hello

This is all helping alot.I was beginning to feel like I was all alone.Everyone tries to understand here but being a mostly male household except me they really don't know how to handle tears.I've discovered how so independent I am on certain things( like the house cleaning and stuff) that is so hard letting others do it.Thanks for listening Debbie
Unread 02-25-2006, 09:58 AM
Hello

I am your age (51) and had a LAVH in Dec and kept my ovaries. I was emotionally like you for the first 3 to 4 weeks....cried alot and would fly into a rage over little things. I went back to work at 4 weeks and that helped my mental state tremendously. Guess it gave me something else to focus on?!?! I also started walking on the treadmill and the exercise helped too. It helped with both the mental and the physical problems. I eat Fiber All cereal everyday to help with the BM issue. It has twice the fiber of Metamucil and it is wonderful. If I eat 1/2 cup and also drink alot of water each day then I have no problems. I too have some hormone "things"...minor hot flashes. I can't take HRT so I am trying to deal on my own. I read that caffeine and alcohol can trigger them as can stress. You might want to talk to your doctor if things do not improve in a few weeks. Recovery has not been such a breeze for us more mature sisters!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register