3 days and counting | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days and counting 3 days and counting

Unread 03-12-2007, 04:08 PM
3 days and counting

Hi All Any ideas about what to bring to the castle. I am so nervous.ANy one else have to drink cirtate mag and do a fleet enema. I cant eat from wed at 12 noon and the surgery is 230 on thurs-lavh. I will be a beast. i have IbS and my stomach gets funky if i dont have some sort of food in my like every 4 hrs. So cant wait till this is over. I slept 3 hrs last night. Is the recovery as bad as I think.Oh well wish me luck.Blessings...Deb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2007, 04:34 PM
3 days and counting

Can you belive that when I found out I could'nt eat for 24 hours that that was the worst news I think I have ever heard..like you I need food in my belly.. I eat at least every 2 to 3 hours...
I have 7 days till prep day ... not to nevous just ready for it to be over and back to work... my aflac will not cover my surgery due to 10 day waiting period... I am still fighting it.. oh well .. I wish you all the luck.. and let us know how you do...melissa jo
Unread 03-12-2007, 04:59 PM
3 days and counting

Have you been told nothing or just clear fluids? There are some clear protein drinks. They taste exceptionally nasty, more so than most protein shakes, even. But, if your Dr says they would be OK, and you could stomache them, they would provide nourishment, possibly to keep your tummy from doing ugly things. I had a gastric bypass almost 4 years ago, and take liquid protien in to supplement what I can't get from the amount of food that I eat, and I have tried these clear drinks. In my personal experience, I would rather be hungry or have cramps or whatever. If, your Dr says you can have it, they can found at health food places, usually in the cooler section .
Good luck. Hope I can be looking forward to getting this done , in a week or so.

Mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
3 days and counting

Ideas on what to take to the castle....chapstick, gas-x, peppermint tea, deod, toothbrush. I stayed in the hospital gown and wore home a pair of flannel pj bottoms, tshirt, sweatshirt, socks and slippers. I didn' t need much considering I was just there overnight.
Unread 03-12-2007, 05:27 PM
3 days and counting

Clear fluids jello, tea water coffee-right on an empty stomach..that will kill me.So its basically like eating nothing to me. Would they know if i snuck a cookie Thanks and I will kepp you all posted.
Unread 03-12-2007, 05:32 PM
thanks

I guess i will wear the hospital gown and I have sweats to go home in. Thanks Mo , I willa sk dr tomorrow abot protein drinks. I guess , knowing myself I will be so nervous i wont be hungry. I probably wont even even need the poison drink because of my nerves. Trying to hang in there. Just want it over.Good luck to all sisters in waiting...Blessings
Unread 03-12-2007, 06:46 PM
bowel prep

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly30
Hi All Any ideas about what to bring to the castle. I am so nervous.ANy one else have to drink cirtate mag and do a fleet enema. I cant eat from wed at 12 noon and the surgery is 230 on thurs-lavh. I will be a beast. i have IbS and my stomach gets funky if i dont have some sort of food in my like every 4 hrs. So cant wait till this is over. I slept 3 hrs last night. Is the recovery as bad as I think.Oh well wish me luck.Blessings...Deb
I had to do the same prep as you. I'm also from NY! Maybe we had the same doctor. I had my surgery in Syracuse. I had 2 lap's for ovarian cysts and scar tissue. I couldn't keep the mag. citrate down. It came right back up in less than an hour. Once I drank it, I didn't want anything else. The day of surgery I had heartburn, which sometimes happends to me if I don't eat, and my surgery ended up being a little more than 24 hours after my last meal. In the surgery holding area I told them and they said they would have to hold my throat while putting me under. Sorry I don't remember exactly. I had Versed right after they told me about it.
Unread 03-12-2007, 07:28 PM
3 days and counting

I was so nervous that not eating the day before wasn't that difficult. I didn't have much of an appetite. Once I started the bowel prep I felt sick, so not much of an appetite their. I was very thirsty on the way to the hospital. I took a few cubes of ice and just lick them with my tongue.

The things that were priceless for me at the hospital were bottled water and vanilla pudding cups. I do not like water out of those cheap plastic jugs and I can dring bottled water at room temperature. The pudding helps with the bitter taste from the breathing tube and anesthesia. Once I got home the gas x thin strips were priceless.

Good luck! It will be over before you know it.

Sherri
Unread 03-12-2007, 07:43 PM
3 days and counting

I had to do 48 hours with clear liquids and 2 MAg Citrate bottles, one 2 days befor and one 1 day before surgery and I can tell you that after the Mag starts working and you start pooping you won't be that hungry. I was the most hungry in the waiting area pre-op only. I do recommend that you use lots of vaseline on your behind after every BM, just from personal experience. Oh, I also had to do enemas till clear the evening after each Mag Citrate. It was fun but I had no GI complications! Good luck
Unread 03-13-2007, 10:39 AM
3 days and counting

Well 2 more days and i am already nasues from nerves. Wen to the store and bought my fleet enema and mag cit.You are probably right sherri , once you drink the poion and from nerves no appetite. Thanks for the advice about the pudding. Shar , will be uusing the vaseline..Thanks HL Im in MAnhattan . Dreading this bowel prep..Trying to hang in there........Blessings

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register