Scheduled TVH I really need positive experiences... | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I really need positive experiences... I really need positive experiences...

Unread 02-13-2010, 08:49 PM
I really need positive experiences...

I'm in need of some positive experiences with TVH and bladder slings....(ovaries still in tact)

I need to hear from women who are happy they had their procedure, who no longer pee when they sneeze, who don't have abdominal pain anymore, who don't hurt during sex and have no issues with orgasms..

I've been reading a lot on this website and I seem to read way more bad stories than good. My surgery is on 2/23 and I'm feeling more nervous after finding this site than I was before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Re: I really need positive experiences...

Hi ajturtle. I had a TAH on Jan 18, 2010 and I can tell you I am very happy that I had it done. I no longer pee every 10 minutes like a kid, I can sneeze without leaking, I have already missed 2 periods and am over-the-moon happy about not dealing with all the issues that went along with it.

I don't know about sex yet, as I have not been released to do that yet. But without getting too graphic or personal, my husband and I have done some fooling around and I can tell you I have no orgasms issues.

Just remember, a lot of women who have had the surgery are enjoying their new found freedom and are enjoying the things that they (we) missed out on for so long. So you will see a higher number of negative posts over positive posts.

This site helped me a lot and I hope it helps you too. Use it for encouragement (for yourself and others) and information. I hope to see you in the post op section with your positive story. Praying for you.
Unread 02-13-2010, 09:47 PM

I had a TAH the end of December and I'm thrilled.

My doctor did a bridge instead of a bladder sling. I am very happy to report no more leakage.

Sex is awesome and orgasms are even better. Prior to my surgery, sex was painful and I had spotting most everytime. Needless to say that was a turn off for me and my DH. Now we can have it whenever we want; no more scheduling around those awful periods, no more pain and spotting.

Prayers for a smooth surgery and recovery,
B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-13-2010, 09:53 PM

I can't help you information with the TVH or bladder slings (I had a TAH), but I can relate about reading too much on this website and getting kinda freaked out. I finally stopped logging in a few weeks before hand and didn't log back in until after I was home a couple of days. Everyone's experience is different; age, reason for surgery, doctor experience, pain tolerence; procedure type, etc. all play factors in recovery so you have to keep that all in mind when you read through these postings. If you find that you can not stop logging in, stick to reading the postings on how to prepare for your surgery and the stories that are positive.
On a positive note, I am very glad I had my surgery and wished that I had it years ago. I was warned about/expecting a difficult, long surgery with possible appendix/ovary removal and bladder/bowel repair . After my surgery I expected to be miserable with pain and needing help to do almost everything. My surgery was only 1.5 hours from start to finish with no need to have anything else removed or repaired. The day after my surgery I was off the IV pain killers and walking and showering by myself. I never experienced the pain I thought I would. And I can't tell you how nice it's been not to have periods the last two months!

Good luck and I'm sure others will come along and respond to your post with their positive stories!
Unread 02-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Hi there, I had a Laproscopic hysterectomy a month ago and although I was afraid at first I'm glad I did it. I'm not released for sex for 3 months however I did have an orgasm in week 3. I kept my ovaries and feel normal with no problems. I didn't wear a bladder sling however I have noticed that I'm moist in the area and I've written the dr. an email asking if this incontinence would last long. I used to have frequent urge and that is gone but I'm worried about the other development and came on here to post a question.

I saw your post and thought I'd let you know that it does get better and you will feel better. I had a "textbook" surgery and went home the same day...although I think I could have remained one night. I drove around town today and I am down 12 lbs. Do it. Keep educating yourself but know if you are in pain then it's time to end it. The surgery is the best thing that I have ever done. I'm still fresh however so I'll check back with you in a few months. Good luck and God Bless.
Unread 02-13-2010, 10:55 PM

I did not have the bladder sling, but I am SOOOOOOO happy with my Total Hyster! I feel GREAT!
Unread 02-14-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajturtle View Post
I'm in need of some positive experiences with TVH and bladder slings....(ovaries still in tact)

I need to hear from women who are happy they had their procedure, who no longer pee when they sneeze, who don't have abdominal pain anymore, who don't hurt during sex and have no issues with orgasms..

I've been reading a lot on this website and I seem to read way more bad stories than good. My surgery is on 2/23 and I'm feeling more nervous after finding this site than I was before.
I had LAVH BSO, and no bladder sling. So, I do not have the same issues as you, but I am happy with my surgery. I was not in pain before my surgery. I had post menopausal spotting/bleeding. I listened to my doctor's instructions and I have not had any problems. I feel very lucky from what some of the ladies have had to endure. I think that a lot of the sisters just don't post if they are doing okay after their surgery. That could be why you are reading way more bad stories than good ones. I think that it is very normal to be feeling nervous. I sure was. I even told the little young nurse that I was going to run away the morning of surgery, she informed me she would just have to come after me. After it was all over I really felt silly for all of my nervous, sick feelings

Please stay positive in your thinking, if you can.

Unread 02-14-2010, 10:50 AM

No Bladder sling here but TAH 4 weeks ago...and hey no more dribbles when I sneeze or laugh, this was due to a huge fibroid playing trampolines and I feel absolutely amazing.

I won't lie to you, the first couple of days was a bit uncomfortable, but you learn to deal with it and learn what your limitations are, moving etc. do exactly what the hospital and your body tells you and you will look back on this thread in a few weeks time and wonder why you needed reassurance..good luck with everything and stay positive xxx
Unread 02-14-2010, 10:53 AM

Hi ajturtle

Although I didn't have a bladder sling done, I am very happy with my TVH. I can once again have sex without pain (and enjoy it, too!).

ILoveKitties mentions the one thing that helped me before my surgery: remembering that women with good outcomes are simply less likely to post here. They don't need the support, and they're moving on with their lives. The women with trouble, however, post about their difficulties because they need the advice and encouragement of others.

I finally had to force myself to stay out of the post-op forum before surgery. It was too overwhelming.

Although some women have complications and difficult recoveries, most women do quite well with the hysterectomy. I'm one of them, and I hope you will be, too!

I'm sending you huge
Unread 02-14-2010, 11:53 AM

I just had a LAVH on 2/10- went in with TVH but dr wanted to check ovaries and look at my bladder. He said all my test results showed I needed a bladder sling but since I can't pinpoint when I actually leak he said he'd look at the bladder and go from there. I like you & everyone else who finds this site-- scared to death before. all the stories we read, the prep, and the wondering. But once you get your day- it's over and not bad at all. hysterectomy went fine and if I could just have a BM I'd feel great!! As for my bladder issue- he said I would HAVE to go back to my urologist because my bladder isn't emptying all the way and leaving stuff behind. Like sediments. So that is scary. But- as you have read and will read..... waiting is the hardest part!!!

Best wishes!
Aseretyar

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register