Scheduled dVH/RALH Hospital Stay | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Stay Hospital Stay

Unread 02-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Hospital Stay

I'm having my surgery tomorrow and my doctor has given me the option of staying overnight or going home tomorrow once I can get up and drink water. He said if it were him, he would go home. I'm still not sure what to do. I hate to say that cost is a factor, but I will save a $150.00 copay if I don't stay. My daughter will stay with me tomorrow night if I do go home. I will be having a total hysterectomy, ovaries and all. Does anyone have any opinions on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2010, 11:34 PM
Re: Hospital Stay

I would stay-- that is a MAJOR surgery to not have at least one day in the hospital (just in case you were to have pain or nausea)
Unread 02-18-2010, 11:36 PM

Honestly... I would stay in the hospital. Don't let the money be the heavy factor in your decision. When you have surgery, things can go wrong and not show up until later (not trying to scare you or any thing) but some times the complications don't show up right away. (I have experience in this) So, being in the hospital if some thing does go wrong the first night is your best bet.

Beyond that... you will get better controlled pain meds the first 24 hours in the hospital, help getting up and down for bathroom, nurses to answer questions...

If money is a big concern, the hospital always has things where they can cut down your cost, or set up payment plans..

Do what feels best for you, obviously, but in my advice, staying at least a night is worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-19-2010, 04:18 AM

I second the opinion of staying in the hospital. They will be able to control your pain so much better and this is major surgery. I know I needed to be in the hospital for the next day. Good luck with everything.
Unread 02-19-2010, 06:37 AM

Only a man who has never had a hysterectomy would say something ridiculous like that! SERIOUSLY! This is MAJOR surgery. Granted, your incision is different, but the inside part is the same.

Patients who have early ambulationand more than adequate pain control do better and have less post-op complications...there are tons of research that backs this up. You need nursing care and some IV pain control to keep your pain level down good enough so you can ambulate early. Your family member at home can keep a watchful eye on you, but they can't draw your blood to double check your hemoglobin level, they can't take your vitals to make sure all is well and they can't give you extra pain meds, etc.etc.

I had a DVH (one ovary left behind) and I seriously can't imagine leaving right afterwards. I had a lap two years ago and that surgery didn't EVEN compare to how this one was.
Unread 02-19-2010, 09:32 AM

I am scheduled for Da Vinci 3/4. My doctor said I could be released the same day and I looked at him like he had lost his mind..good grief.. then he said that insurance would give me a 24 hour window as an out-patient, so my surgery is scheduled for noon and I can stay overnight and leave by noon the next day. I am definitely going to do that...and my husband is glad too...just "in case"...
Unread 02-19-2010, 09:50 AM

I am glad that I stayed overnight. there is comfort in having someone watch over you and to help you. I would stay the night.

Hugs!
Unread 02-19-2010, 10:58 AM

I would definitely stay a couple of nights if you can as this is major surgery. I am really surprised that your doctor even suggested that you could go home the same day. That is ridiculous! I find hospitals are too much in a hurry to let people go home these days due to needing the space which is a real shame.
Unread 02-19-2010, 11:13 AM

I will say prayers that your surgery will go well tomorrow. Second, I would definitely pay the 150.00 co-pay to stay in the hospital over night. This IS a MAJOR surgery and you should be looked after by professional medical staff in the event you have an complications.

Make sure your doctor CHARTS that you require 24 hour observation so your insurance company pays for your stay.

I hope all of your "sisters" comments have been of some benefit to you.

God Bless & Happy Health

Unread 02-19-2010, 11:29 AM

I am new to this but I know that I would stay. Mine is scheduled for 3/10 and my Dr. has already told me that I would be in there atleast 24 hrs & the insurance company has called be and let me know that they have approved for the 24 hrs but would approve longer if the Dr. request it. This is a major surgery and the last thing you need is to worry about if something goes wrong if you are there you will have someone looking after you.... HUGS

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register