Newbie and scared | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Newbie and scared Newbie and scared

Unread 02-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Newbie and scared

I wish I would have found this site months ago!
I am worried to death about unseen complications with my hysterectomy. I am making myself crazy with the "what ifs".

I am especially concerned at the supra pubic catheter that I am told that I will need after. I am also scared of losing my ovaries. The Doctor says that while she is in there she'll take a look and if they look bad she'll remove them. I do not want to go through early menopause. Should I make it known that I don't want them removed at all? I have never had any issues with my ovaries and am freaking over the potential loss.

Off to read the pre and post op boards.....
Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2010, 11:43 AM
Re: Newbie and scared

First...what you are feeling is normal, or at least it is around here! hehe!

Second, don't scare yourself with all the forums. Remember that everyone is different, heals different, has different surgeries, etc. The "what ifs" will make you crazy, just have faith that all will go well and good for you!

I had TAH, and doc told me same thing about my ovaries. We had done a laprascope (sp?) over a year ago, and he said then that my ovaries looked great, so I didn't expect them to come out with hysto, and they didn't. He said they still looked great, and shouldn't have anything to worry about. Make sure you let your doc know your concerns about the ovaries. I think that removal of them if the doc sees something wrong with them is a pretty standard way to go. If you've not had past issues with them, then more than likely she won't remove them.

Take lots of deep breaths, and try to busy yourself with getting your recovery area at home ready. Good luck!
Unread 02-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Hi Cheryl. I don't know how old you are and I think age makes a difference. I am 58. My surgery will be Apr.5 I have several cysts and fibroids. My ovaries are fine, however, I told my Dr. to take everything while she is in there. At my age I don't want to have to worry about future problems with the ovaries and go through another surgery. I have had a catheter before with another surgery. It's not that bad. I am scared, too. Not so much about the surgery itself, but about the recovery. I live alone. My daughter will be with me the first week, then I'll be on my own. Good luck. You will be a month post-op by the time I have mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2010, 12:03 PM

Hi Lorraine,
I just turned 44!
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Being scared is perfectly normal. You aren't going to know what to expect in your recovery until you get there. Everyone heals differently at all different speeds. I don't know what to tell you about your ovaries. I would talk with your dr. about it more or if you trust her, let her do what is best for you. Good luck.
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:08 PM

Hi CakeWalk,

I am 44. I think the "we'll see what they look like when they get in there" regarding the cervix and the ovaries is part of the script.

They told me the same thing, and while everyone is different, I am home today from the castle with both my ovaries and my cervix.

Also - the catheter coming out made me most anxious. But it was like a ballon deflating and....two seconds....nothing.

SouthgateLady
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:38 PM

Hi CakeWalk,

You are not alone in how you feel. I have never had surgery before and I am 40. My mind keeps spinning about surgery but I must say I have found this site to be of great support and encouragement as we all have the same feelings.

As for your ovaries, yes, discuss that your doctor. I am having a TAH and the goal is to leave them in but I have a feeling one may have to come out..all depends what they find going in.
Unread 02-24-2010, 04:36 PM

YOU are not alone...my surgery is in april and i am scared to death. Never had major surgery before and its really really freaking me out. Good luck to you its a comfort to have found this site and to know i am not alone!!
kristi
Unread 02-24-2010, 04:46 PM

gloriabono,

Ditto on your comment..that is me as well...
Unread 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM

You are not alone on being scared. When I think I am fine something hits be another what if but I am trying to keep telling myself that it will all be ok.... But this website is great & I find so much support here... We will get though this....Hugs

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register