dVH/RALH Post hysterectomy ileus and infection | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post hysterectomy ileus and infection Post hysterectomy ileus and infection

Unread 03-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Post hysterectomy ileus and infection

I'm an utter mess. I'm 10 days post surgery. I've had a terrible time with post-op ileus. My Dr had me take magnesium citrate 2 days post op with gave me roaring diarrhea but didn't cure the ileus. Had been unable to pass gas for an additional 3 days During which I started having hot flashes at night. On Tuesday I started passing normal stool but felt like passing razor blades hurt so bad. By Tuesday evening I was so weak I couldn't eat and Wednesday I spiked fever. Went to the ER. Bloodwork showed mild elevated white cells but I was also dehydrated. First CT radiologist saw too much inflammation in my bowel and bladder and some fluid pocketing so he though early infection. Admitted to hospital for 2 days on IV antibiotics. My fevers stayed around 99.7 and drs said they don't worry unless over 101.0. Stopped having bowel movements again but at least able to pass gas. Second bloodwrk showed normal white cells but now quite anemic. So discharged to recover at home. Still running low grade fevers and Dr wants me to do another bowel flush which scares the crap out of me. Second radiologist read CT as no infection but did concur about bowel and bladder inflammation. And I've been crying for a week and Dr finally started me in HRT. I'm miserable. I was just hoping someone has a similar story and can tell me it'll get better. Because right now I want to crawl in a hole and die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-26-2017, 10:21 AM
Re: Post hysterectomy ileus and infection

I wish I had some insight to offer. Everything I read off-site just says recovery from an ileus varies from patient to patient. I found a fairly detailed PDF file on the internet, Ileus After Trauma from a university medical system, but again it says recovery time varies.

There are some older threads from Sisters who had dealt with an ileus, but unfortunately I've not found specifics. Keep working with your doctors; and I hope you turn the corner soon.

Unread 03-26-2017, 10:32 AM
Re: Post hysterectomy ileus and infection

Thank you. I'll look it up! My doctors have been somewhat helpful but not very empathetic.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register